collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question for Houston area collectors..  (Read 287 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Question for Houston area collectors..
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
How often do you find G1, G2, or G3 ponies at vintage/antique/thrift stores in Houston?

I'm not looking for any specific place thats well known for having them, but more of a general idea of what my chances would be for finding them (unless you'd like to tell me your lucky stores). I live south of Houston, and I've frequently visited all the thrift-like stores in my local towns/cities and have never found anything G1 related other than a VHS tape.

Houston is the only city I haven't tried yet. And it's the biggest one too.

My collection (ignoring my G4 one) is very small. I have 3 G1's, no G2's, and 8 G3's. I'm mostly looking for G1 toys.

I also saw from Craigslist that there's a store on the Katy freeway that only sells vintage toy series and was thinking to try it out.

Any info would be most appreciated!  :what:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Houston area collectors..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »
I've found 2 G1's at thrifts stores and flea markets. I've been actively collecting for 3 months or so. I'm on the NW side. I've been to that store that you are talking about. It's pretty cool. I've only been once and picked up 5 or 6 G1's. Their prices aren't thrift store prices, but they will sometimes work a deal with you. I thought some prices were good and others not so good. I didn't get any G3's because I know I can get most G3's for a buck or so at thrift stores. You can join their Facebook page. I'm still waiting for them to update on any new ponies. I constantly check Craigslist, too. I've only seen G1's advertised outside of Austin once. We go there often, so the drive isn't the issue. The price was. Actually, I saw a Dream Castle for $200 in River Oaks. But, I wasn't willing to pay that River Oaks price. I don't see many ads close to me, and I'm only wiling to drive so far.

I have a question for you. I'm not sure if you've looked or not, but Walmart supposedly has some retro pony merch, like journals, etc. I've checked 3 locations and have yet to see anything. Have you seen any of it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:08:37 AM by summerday »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
I live near the Heights and thrift once in a while. I can say I have seen about 20 G1's in the thrift stores in the last 2 years.  That is not very many and they were very common ponies.  I am trying to remember, but I think it might have been Value Village where I saw the most G1's ponies.  I remember that day because I bought 5 bags of G3 ponies and 2 bags of G1 ponies and I think I paid like 15.00 for them.  I have since gone back there numerous times and have not seen any.
-_-   I found 1 G1 pony at a Family Thrift.

I have a friend that buys ponies for me all year long and brings them over to my house about twice a year.  I usually get mountains of G3 ponies, never any G2 and 1-2 G1 ponies.  So, I don't think its that easy to find them.  That friend of mine has a mom who sells toys  and they thrift daily.
I think its the frequent visits that are key with thrifting since its not common to find things on a regular basis.

I never see play sets.  G3 ponies are in abundance at most thrift stores. I can usually find a bag of them about every other visit.

One place I have not checked yet is The Guild.  I would imagine they will not be priced well there though.  As far as Walmart backpacks and journals.  I have not found any. I checked the Walmart in the Heights, the Walmart on Silber and the Walmart on 290.  Nothing.  So, I bought one from an Arena member.

When we have conventions sometimes they show up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:39:39 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »
What's The Guild?

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
Oh well at least I might have a chance. I'll just have to test my luck. Since we're closer to the south area we'll be checking there most likely. Probably not soon but I'll be going eventually.

I don't know if I'll be collecting play sets or anything, I don't even know enough of them to be able to spot them.

My G1's didn't even come from a thrift store, I found an older woman on an online garage sale site for Brazoria County who said she had a couple after 3 months of looking.

Also I had no idea walmart was supposed to be selling retro pony stuff. I hope our city has one, I'd love to have it for school. I'll let you know if I find any. The only retro pony merch I've gotten from a store like that was a cute shirt from Target  :blink:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »
What's The Guild?

Here you go:

http://www.theguildshop.org/

They have dolls and toys sometimes. Its a neat place to go. I love it.  Sometimes they have nothing though...so its hit or miss.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:37:15 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal