collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sealing ponies with Mod Podge  (Read 209 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Sealing ponies with Mod Podge
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »
I have a question, I have a pony I'm working on just for fun, and fortunately I did not have to do an FBR on her, only symbols. However, I wanted her symbols to really be glossy, so I did my best to coat them in glossy Mod Podge. Some of the little tiny details though, it looks like I went a bit "outside the lines" with the glossy stuff... and I just wondered - do you guys seal ponies where you've only done a bit of work on the symbol - do you covered their whole body with something like Mod Podge? Do you use matte, semi-gloss or glossy?

Thanks!
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
Re: Sealing ponies with Mod Podge
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »
If I haven't done a FBR I don't do a full body top coat.  I'll coat the eyes and symbols with Triple Thick, which is like a really shiny glossy protector.  If  you're protecting little tiny bits like eyelashes or small details, sometimes you do go "outside the lines" a bit, but personally I find unless you make a BIG mistake or you're examining bits under a microscope, it's not really noticeable.

But if you're working on it for fun though, you can do whatever you like!  As long as you're happy with the result, that's what matters.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
Yeah I think that's a really good point... I was actually pretty happy with how she's come out seeing as she's my first 100% full size G1 eye repaint, my first symbol that I've truly... tried to make look a certain way... it's not intricate or anything like that, but, practice practice practice!

Would the semi-gloss mod-podge or triple thick etc, be more appropriate if you were trying to like... repaint eyes on a G1 pony but nothing else? To give it the same lustre as the body without making it super glossy? Or are you looking more at the matte?

My Want List

Offline Alipes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
If I'm going for more of a matte / body sheen match I usually do a quick spray with dull cote.  Some people have used matte Mod Podge watered down to get a good matte finish, but I've never had much success with that personally, it ends up too glossy for my tastes still.  Usually I really like a super glossy finish for things like eyes and symbols though.  Just a personal preference!  :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing your custom when she's finished, I bet she'll turn out fantastic!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
Aww thanks :blush: She's nothing special, the whole thing will only come together if I get my DH, which... erm.. got a shipment confirmation like a week ago, and still nothin'...  but that is not what this is about!

I definitely agree about the eyes being glossy, I coated mine a bunch of times and probably will a few more, I love the look of the shiny eyes! And for this particular custom, a shiny symbol too...

So, dull coat - is this just, a paint I could pick up at Hobby Lobby? :blush: I'm srsly newb at this... even though I've been -trying- to customize ponies for years, lol

My Want List

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
I would love to see her when she's done too, Sunshine! ^.^

Offline Alipes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
Yep, you can pick up Dull Cote at Hobby Lobby!  It's made by Testor's, and it's a blue and white small-size spray can.  They usually have it over with the model-building section.  And nothing wrong with asking questions!  We were all new once after all!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal