collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: an expensive hobby???  (Read 2237 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: an expensive hobby???
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
It just depends on what pony you're looking at. Doll collecting /pony collecting will always be expensive. Nearly all the ponies that you actually fall in love with are actually really pricey,imo. Unless you get realllllllyyyyy lucky and find her or any of the ponies on your wishlist in a thrift store or yard sale.

MLP collecting is one of the most inexpensive hobbies there are!  Try collecting antiques or something that doesn't last nearly as long as plastic. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
My MLPs cost way less than my other hobbies: Doll collecting, video gaming, and my horse (well, having a horse is really more of a lifestyle than a hobby for me, but still very $$). Although, the last pony I bought, Dazzleglow w/ blue hearts, was $36 with shipping and I guess that's pretty spendy for a plastic pony that's almost 30 years old :D Worth every penny, though!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
It just depends on what pony you're looking at. Doll collecting /pony collecting will always be expensive. Nearly all the ponies that you actually fall in love with are actually really pricey,imo. Unless you get realllllllyyyyy lucky and find her or any of the ponies on your wishlist in a thrift store or yard sale.

MLP collecting is one of the most inexpensive hobbies there are!  Try collecting antiques or something that doesn't last nearly as long as plastic. 

I collect both and I have to agree that MLP for what it is is expensive.  Especially for me when I want all of the UK ponies or a nirvana pony or MOC.  Sure its not the 500.00 antique, but for a small and used plastic toy..yea I think they are over priced.

Post Merge: August 15, 2013, 08:45:48 AM

Although, the last pony I bought, Dazzleglow w/ blue hearts, was $36 with shipping and I guess that's pretty spendy for a plastic pony that's almost 30 years old :D Worth every penny, though!

Yea this is what I mean...they are a little expensive sometimes for what they are, but we love them so don't we? LOL

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
The first two that you have listed are more on the higher price. As for SS Bottoms I think that she is lower price pony.

I need me a SS Bottoms...

:rofl: i didn't even notice it! :D Hahaha :) I agree, we need one, pronto!

:rofl: Ahahahahahahaha :') Now that, made me smile after an excruciating day!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »
Agree with the above- Mimic and Nightglider are expensive- Buttons is cheap.  I actually think I have a SS buttons kicking around that you can have for very little if you can't find one- but the price of shipping is very likely to vastly exceed her worth.  Cheaper to pick her up from someone in the UK for sure.

Also-  ponies feel like such a cheap collection when you start eyeing BJDs...

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
Yeah love those little plastic toys!! Some are older than me! I don't mind spending on hard to find foreign ponies, just sometimes they are so over priced in the uk.  Especially now I'm after a select few to add to the herd. ;) my biggest spend was on star flower in mint condition from Belgium.  Had to put in some overtime that week!! The main thing is trying to locate American ponies in the uk.  There's fewer to choose from to begin with so the wiley ebayers' seem to add extra ££'s. I have sometimes found its cheaper to buy in the usa than try to buy one in the uk. It was actually cheaper to ship a pony from Canada once than buy one less than 100 miles away! :/

Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
I don't think ponies make an expensive hobby. If you look at their prices in the 90s and now, the values is actually getting cheaper and not more expensive.

Baby Applejack, Bowtie and Lemondrop used to cost $50-80 ea, now they're $8-15
TE Bright Eyes used to command $15-30, now no one even looks at her.
Ask $800 for Rapunzel in the past, and you can easily get an offer of $850 just to beat the competition. Now people complain that's too expensive at $400. Ask for any more and people demand she comes with accessories and perfect curls.
How did Greek Baby Minty used to cost? I'm sure everyone knows. One just ended $187 a few days ago, go figure.

Only a select few G1s maintained their prices, the rest are valuing downwards and not upwards, so to say it is expensive is just funny to me. Even the Mountain Boys are starting to take a beating. $46 for a nice conditon Fireball - you kidding me? $57 for Lightning?

In most cases, the shipping is actually more costly than getting the ponies themselves. Ask anyone living in the Asia Pacific region, and they can tell you the price of the pony is a joke, the shipping however, is not. My best story was winning Baby Sleepy Pie for $2 and the shipping was $12.50.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:32:34 PM by DebonaireThundercloud »

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
I thought my more common ponies were expensive simply because of the number of them I've bought.  :P     I suppose it's all relative.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
I suppose a pony is only worth what someone is willing to pay :)
maybe I just love the rare ponies. ...I always did have expensive taste haha. Still going to try to source a mimic at some point. ...best start saving now!
I have found some bargains lately, a mint baby ribbon for £4 including p+p!! 

What sort of price is mimic fetching lately?  :what:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
The first two that you have listed are more on the higher price. As for SS Bottoms I think that she is lower price pony.

Personally I need me a NSS Bottom! But I'm too lazy  :lmao:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
 :haha: :haha: :haha: me too !! I actually lol maybe I should ride my horse rather than collect ponies haha :)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
Yeah love those little plastic toys!! Some are older than me! I don't mind spending on hard to find foreign ponies, just sometimes they are so over priced in the uk.  Especially now I'm after a select few to add to the herd. ;) my biggest spend was on star flower in mint condition from Belgium.  Had to put in some overtime that week!! The main thing is trying to locate American ponies in the uk.  There's fewer to choose from to begin with so the wiley ebayers' seem to add extra ££'s. I have sometimes found its cheaper to buy in the usa than try to buy one in the uk. It was actually cheaper to ship a pony from Canada once than buy one less than 100 miles away! :/

^ This. What I need is a mate in Canada to get me the rest of the G1 unicorns and second year rainbows on my list, then ship them all together  :blush: I can swap you for a pair of ASDA PJ's!!!  ;)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »
Would be nice to have a good friend in Canada/USA to buy me ponies. I just look out for certain ebay sellers who offer good deals. Usually I can get 2-3 ponies shipped for around $13-$15 which isn't too bad around £10. I got suprise recently for $1.97 she needed a clean but hey what's one more when you have 300 to do   :biggrin:

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
Would be nice to have a good friend in Canada/USA to buy me ponies. I just look out for certain ebay sellers who offer good deals. Usually I can get 2-3 ponies shipped for around $13-$15 which isn't too bad around £10. I got suprise recently for $1.97 she needed a clean but hey what's one more when you have 300 to do   :biggrin:

It's great to have ponies to clean! I suppose I can wait a few more months for my remaining ladies  :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
I think the question is confusing me a little. Pony collecting is very international; both of the main collecting forums [the Arena and TP] are packed with members from all over the world. Ponies are not set at more expensive if they are being sold by someone in a country the pony was not originally released in. If people try that kind of thing you will quickly find the ponies they are selling being ebay warmers while people bit on more accurately priced auctions/BINs.

Yes, you will get sellers who price higher than the "value" of a pony but at the end of the day that is a sellers prerogative and they could be anywhere in the world - an over priced Mimic is as likely in the UK as in the US. If I lived in the US I would sell a Mimic for the sale price as I would sell one if I was selling her from here. At a "collectors price". Yes, ponies from certain parts of the world will show up more on that country's ebay than other places but so many ponies are in the hands of collectors now ponies could be sold from anywhere.

In the last 2 weeks a Mimic in the UK sold for $130 and one in the US sold for $230. So you are as likely to get a high price for a sought after pony in her country of origin as you are elsewhere.

Fair prices for the ponies you mention:
Mimic - $100
Nightglider - $26-28
SS Buttons - $8
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal