collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your first opinions on G4?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Your first opinions on G4?
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
When the G3 line came to an end and G4 started up, what were your first opinions on them? Did you love them, hate them? Have your opinions changed at all?

I've collected G1, G2, and G3 ever since I was a kid. When G4 was first launched I was in 6th or 7th grade I believe (I'm a sophomore in highschool now) and I was just relieved that the core 7 and G3.5 were dead. I thought the line looked like it would have a lot of potential and had no clue that it would be so... Limited. My opinions have changed, I don't dislike them but I am getting really frustrated with Hasbro's lack of creativity and all of the damn Pinkie Pies. xD

How about you guys?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:59:11 PM by Kingsly »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Re: Your first opinions on G4?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
I only started collecting last year, and I wasn't very interested in collecting any G4s. I actually just wanted the Mane Six and none of the "recolors".  :rofl: I'm still kind of "meh" at how limited the line is, and kind of taking a break from the gen as a whole. (And I'm definitely not looking for mane six ponies now!)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
i didn't even know g2 or g3 existed.
i was a classic g1 collector, in hibernation.
then at a convention a brony asked me to draw rainbow dash in the g4 style.
i was like, "who in the what now?"
so i did research to find reference art online, but i didn't get into the toys till i watched the show almost a year and half later.
i liked the style of  g4 when i first saw them, but it was weird to me. g3 still seems like the most awkward of the styles in my opinion.
now g4 is by far my favorite in art and pony style. they don't look like horses, which is good, cuz horses scare the tar out of me.
and i'm a huge fan of blind bags. still get the colors and cuteness in a fantastically small size. great!

Spoiler
i really love the fact that they are now getting all these great poses in the bb. the brushables are great for customizing, and now that i have one of each pony type... i'm ok with just that. (one pegasus, one earth, one uni, and one alicorn. now i'm good) i don't collect one of each character. if they make a brushable that has a better color combo than the one i have, i replace her.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:51:55 PM by rosierjay »

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
Back then when I heard about MLP and saw the toys (around G3-G3.5), I was a kid who just couldn't get much toys and resorted to video games. It did give me some interest but not much.

When I heard about G4 and this whole fandom thing...I watched it just for kicks. Then, it got to me...it taught me something that everyone should have in life: Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, Kindness, and just laugh in life. G4 actually encouraged me slowly to make friends and be nice to everybody. Back then, I didn't care if I made friends or not because they always turned against me. I was like a doormat. Now, whether people hate me in the end or like me in the end, I will be kind to them and be there for them when needed:)
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
When I first seen the G4 in stores, I just found out I was pregnant with my daughter (first girl in the family for 25 years) So I hit the "Girl" section pretty hard and Loved the ponies!! Reminded me of mine as a kid :)

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I was never into g3. My little sister had a couple but I had g1 when I was a kid and I was "grown out" of them by then. I never gave g3 much mind before. I'm not sure I knew g2 existed until I joined the arena.
My first encounter of G4 was on a forum I used to check I kept seeing ponies in peoples sigs and avatars. I didn't even realize it was My Little Pony at first but once I did I decided to watch a couple episodes of the show. I didn't like it at first! It wasn't until months later, I saw a pony toy on flickr. I thought it was really cute and really wanted to buy some. I watched some of FiM again to learn the characters. I bought the Mane ^. Hooked ever since  :biggrin:

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »
At first, I really didn't like them. I preferred the G1's and G3's, and I even liked G3.5's more than G4's.  But now I love them to death.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
I had no interest. They still remind me of deer... I don't know if I will ever warm up to them.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »
When I first saw pictures of the G4s, I absolutely hated them!  (I'm mainly a G1/G3 collector) And to a certain extent, their huge eyes do still annoy me.  But I love the show, as do my girls.  So the majority of G4s I buy are for my daughters, but I collect the fashion style ponies and have a few BB ponies.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Eaglefeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
I first saw some of the toys in the store and I wasn't too impressed. I enjoyed the G3s as a younger child and knew about the G1s and G2s, but by the time G4 came out I had "grown out" of ponies. I thought the toy of Celestia was cool though and I debated watching the episodes.

Well, two of my friends at school started watching the series and that's all they would talk about at lunch! I just had to watch the show and was instantly hooked. It is a fun show and I like Rainbow Dash. Looks like I'm back into ponies! :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
Instant love ;3

Even if they weren't called My Little Pony, and I just randomly saw them sitting on a shelf, I would want them. . . I dunno, this sort of stylization is right up my alley.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »
its really interesting hearing everyone's first reaction.
i think if i were to get into ponies now, never having the g1's as a child, i would be a g4 collector, with a few g1's. i keep all the g1s i have mostly for sentimental value. except for baby blossom, he's just flat out awesome in a can.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »
I had no interest. They still remind me of deer... I don't know if I will ever warm up to them.

This. I didn't like them when I first saw them and I still don't. Zecora is the only one who looks okay to me, and I think it's because she's supposed to be exotic so it works.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
I was mainly a G1/G3 collector when the G4's came out and I disliked them a lot. They looked so different from the older gens that I didn't want anything to do with them. Then pretty much I woke up one day and was obsessed XD I now mainly work on my G4 gen. I still love the older gens but I usually rotate which gen I'm concentrating on and right now it's G4's all the way :lol:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
I first found out about them  in early 2010 when The Hub first appeared. I saw MLP as one of the programs, so I checked it out. Didn't really watch it though because at first glance it looked like G3.5. It wasn't until I started seeing more about it on the internet that I decided to take a 2nd look. A few episodes was all it took.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal