collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cat homing instinct, foster cat found her way back to my house  (Read 586 times)

LadyCadance

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm sure we have all heard stories of animals, or cats finding their way from a distance back home. Like the movies, The Incredible Journey or Homeward Bound. Well I had something happen to me last night that truely surprised me. Nothing as amazing as the above movie titles. My first experience with a cat using its homing skills.

About three and a half weeks ago my children were out playing with friends(quite a distance from our house)and came across a tori tabby female cat that was a rack of bones. So skinny it could barely stand. They said the cat was nervous when approached, but started to cry out to them. So one of my kids slowly picked up the cat which was way too weak to fight back and went limp, and carried the cat a distance toward home.

I wasn't happy about my kids bringing what I thought was feral cat into our home. Once I saw the condition she was in, I quickly changed my thought. We only own one other cat. So I had the cat supplies. I brought the cat into my bedroom bathroom and checked it for ticks, ear mites, fleas, all of which it had none. The cat ran past me and curled up on my bed. We of course kept the cat away from our two year old boy. Which didn't care that we had a visitor.

Long story short the girl cat was super friendly and was able to put weight on. I told my family we were keeping Mitzy until she was out of the critical stage. After three weeks she wasn't anywhere near the state she was found in. Thanks to lots of wet cat chow and dry. Once the cat put weight on her personality changed to growling when approached. She never scratched but was grumpy. I decided it was time to bring her to a no kill cat shelter a distance from my house. The plus is she would get spayed.

I loaded her up in a kitty kennel(the door is werid on our cat crate, it closes but sometimes it appears close but isn't always). I put the cat in my car and stopped for gas miles from my house. The moment I opened my door to get out the cat broke out of the cat crate, and ran very fast out of my car. I was very upset, but what could I do? She was way too fast.

I went home and told my family. We agree it was time to get a new cat kennel. Even though this sort of thing has never happened with our boy. I was mainly upset as I didn't want her adding to the out door wild cat population. Well roughly four to five days past. I thought that cat was never to be heard from again. The weather these past several days has been very rainy.

Last night I had a hard time sleeping, so I went on the couch. It was around 2 AM. I heard a weird moaning noise outside my front door. I tired to ignore it. Then I realized it sounded like a cat. My boy cat sat next to the front door very interested in the noise. So I opened the door and in comes a skinner than when I last saw her Mitzy. She ran in the house and was purring when I touched her. She ran into the kitchen and started eating and drinking. Was friendly toward my cat even though they have had limited interaction.

I'm amazed she made it back to my house. Firstly she never walked by foot to my door, was found a distance from my house and was carried, and was carried out of our house...and with all the rain how could she have smelled her way back?? I had to share as it made me happy this morning. Has any one experienced a similar event?

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: Cat homing instinct, foster cat found her way back to my house
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
First off, super big congrats to raising caring kids who carried a cat to you to nurse back to health.

Second, it seems this kitty thinks you are her family, and wanted to find her way back to you. It's a miracle she came home relatively healthy and I think she needs to stay.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
I've had kittens return home after being given away when I was a kid. After multiple times returning, we just let them stay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
aaw great story! and I second the vote that she should stay. grumpiness and all. but im a mush and a pushover for kitties!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
Aw- poor baby.  I'm glad you saved her-  I hope you do end up keeping her after all that.  It takes cats a pretty long time to adjust- I bet her grumpiness would go away more the more secure she felt.

My cat escaped once when I was a teenager-  she was gone for three months.  She suddenly turned up one day purring like mad and demanding to be let back in through the back door.  She seemed perfectly healthy and well fed- so I have a feeling somebody was keeping her indoors somewhere (she was super pretty, long haired siamese looking, and quite gentle).   I'm was so glad she escaped and came home- she was the best cat I ever had and I loved her fiercely.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
Omg, that was the most awesome story ever!! ^-^

Kudos to you and your family for nursing that poor girl back to health! And I'm just amazed she found her way back to you after all that. Wow!

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
Awww, i think you have been claimed.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
So glad she made it back!
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
I think you just made a new friend :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
First off, super big congrats to raising caring kids who carried a cat to you to nurse back to health.

Second, it seems this kitty thinks you are her family, and wanted to find her way back to you. It's a miracle she came home relatively healthy and I think she needs to stay.

I absolutely agree! What wonderful kids, give them a huge hug from me :)

And aww, I know it's your decision,but if your boy cat likes her, it would be great if she could stay :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
If she can tollerate your other kitty and is not a danger to anyone in your home, then despite being grumpy I think you have a new furry friend in the family :)

Post Merge: August 07, 2013, 05:24:54 PM

Oh just thought of something...perhaps she is grumpy because she is expecting kittens? From your post it sounded like she was not spayed. Just a thought!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:24:54 PM by Oneleo1 »
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

LadyCadance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
This little cat is definitely growing on me. Especially with her strong devotion toward my family. She's very small compared to my boy. She definitely has food aggression when my boy cat walks past her while shes eating. I'm assuming she is not spayed as she came from the outside. I did notice when I came home that she has a small bald spot on her upper thigh with a red mark in the middle. I wonder if she got hurt? I'm going to have to make a vet appointment. I'm enjoying all of your cat stories.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »
The bald spot reminds me of ringworm...easily treated but it can spread from cat to cat. Not sure if it can be transferred to human though. Just in case I would wear gloves whn you clean the kitty box until you know for sure shd is ok :)

I would get her checked out asap :) congrats on your new friend, sounds like she is there to stay and snuggle.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal