collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So how come Hasbro hates green?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: So how come Hasbro hates green?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:06 AM »
I actually think Tabbyclaw is spot on as well - green tends to be used as a negative colour a lot of the time in some cartoons so perhaps thats a contributory factor.

While I don't doubt that many here had and have green as a favourite colour unfortunately its not a falsehood that it is unpopular with the target market. Having done the market research in order to design campaigns for this kind of market, it is judged to be one of the least popular colours along with browns, greys and navy blues [not black weirdly and not any other shade of blue]. For many it may seem superficial but companies spend serious money on this kind of research and it is continually proven that packaging and ad campaigns which most suit the demographics desires are sometimes more effective than selling the product than the product itself. If we have these guidelines for the packaging and campaigns, I am sure animators and toy designers have to work to a similar brief.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »
Focus groups. I remember the g2 moulds were chosen because the Hasbro focus group children liked them best. I guess they must've picked any green ponies/alternatives as their least favorite

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 04:32:23 AM »
Focus groups are also why we don't sea ponies from what I head.  The lab rugrats thought the design was creepy.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 04:42:56 AM »
Green was my favorite color when I was little, but I was always too embarrassed to say so because it was a "boy color" :P So I said my favorite color was purple like all my friends even though purple has never been my favorite color XD Green fan all the way! ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:54 AM »
You know, all this discussion about green ponies make me want a green booger/slime pony! XD lol that remindes me of the Darkwing Duck episode where Gosalyn gets turned into living green goo! Best ep ever!
Truthfully, green is a hard color to work with, as an artist I can attest to that. It can look beautiful if you chose the right tone and the right accompanying colors, but if you are not experienced with greens attributes it easily becomes shrieky. But Hasbroken surely got people who knows how colors work so I doubt they will blame that.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:23 AM »
Tootsie was the color of mucus.  She never appeared on television (perhaps her color is why) and the UK comic typically drew her in a more yellow color.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
Tuneful was also a dark green on MLP Tales and there were several G3 ponies outside the movies that were green I recall.

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »
I know from working with clay, that blue or blue green glazes. Are among the hardest to work with, the color is prone to wide variances. As well as being among the most expensive to produce. Because of the cobalt and other colorants added in. To give it the distinct blue and blue-ish colors.

G1 Sky Rocket is green? I've only seen them as an adult and the ones I've seen. Have been various shades of blue.

And of course people see colors differently. From appearance to what it means.

Umm i've had a G1 Sky Rocket since i was a kid, i remember opening her for christmas and she has always been blue...very blue.... i didnt know some of them look green?

i think the green thing just goes with the whole girls like pink thing... kinda like how celestia was pink for so long they thought little girls wanted pink ponies over white or any other color. but even my kids thought she should be white and were mad that she had a sun burn lol

Offline Leegeta

• Firefighter Chick
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
I think it's because it's not marketable to little girls. I am sure Hasbro has done plenty of studies to see which colors sell the best. And studies have probably shown green doesn't do very well. Hasbro doesn't even make that many red ponies either. I think kids also associate green with vegetables lol
*<3 <3Seeking MIB DREAM BEAUTIES! <3 <3*

Leegeta\'s Collection

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
What happened to pink and green being a popular color combination? I've seen lots of little girls that love the two together and seeing as it's typically a lighter, pastel green that gets put together with pink, the green would fit right in with ponies.

Now that I think about it, there aren't many green characters that a aimed at little girls. The most popular ones that come to mind are Green Lantern, the Hulk, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I suppose there is Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls but she's from the 90's so I guess she wouldn't be too popular with today's kids :huh: Oh and then there's Tinkerbell. She seems to be popular with little girls seeing as she got a couple of movies and she even has a doll line. But I guess it's just that people don't think little girls like green.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
It's so sad!
I want to see more ponies the same shade as Baby Splash!! :D
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
Yeah is more likely  that Habro thinks that girls only like pink, that's why I admire how Mattel pushes a lot green in their Monster High line mostly wit Frankie and that's a proof that little girls also like green.  ^.^

I agree that tales Bright Eyes is green, she is the same color as Princess Serena  ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
But MH is geared at a much older audience than MLP - a market which has a darker and wider palette choice.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
I will buy all the pink and green ponies!!! (Erm, within my budget...sorry, Nirvana Green Lickety-Split!)

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Probably because the target audience.
HASBRO LOGIC:
A lot of kids don't like their vegetables.
Vegetables are associated with green.
Green ponies = veggie ponies.
Little girls no likey.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal