collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sort of... falling out of G4?  (Read 542 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Sort of... falling out of G4?
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Lately when I look at my G4 shelves, I can easily pick out a handful that I actually want to have. It's a very weird feeling for me. I love FiM, and I used to love the toys too, but I can just feel myself losing interest. Every day it's like I'm trying to convince myself to keep them. I just feel bored with them. I preordered the next favorites collection, and... I don't even know that I'll want any of them.

I'm not seeking an answer on whether to keep them or not. I'll work it out.  Some of them I know would be a royal pain to find again later, but that's beside the point. I just want to know if anyone else has ever had this feeling, with any gen? Did you fall in love with that generation later? What made you love it again? Did you have to rebuild your collection from scratch?

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: Sort of... falling out of G4?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
The trickle of somewhat interesting possibly new brushables pulls me back every few months.  But really thinking about it I think they're all exclusives... so yeah, the official Hasbro G4 line isn't very interesting to me either. 

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »
I have had that happen with the G3 ponies for me. And sometimes I sit and look at my ponies and wonder why I have spent so much on them. Do not worry they will come back to you. I wish you luck and hope you do not sell them. 

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
I started collecting at the beginning of G3s, but quickly lost steam when they made the "Core 7" move and completely left the active collecting scene with the G3.5s.  I still loved my G1s and G3s and few G2s I had at the time, but the thrill of tracking down new ponies just didn't grip me anymore.  It was weird that I managed to hold off on the G4 line until about a year ago, and then something just clicked and I started up again.  I think what you're going through is probably a pretty common thing for collectors to do, and it *can* get exhausting trying to keep up with everything.  What I always tell people is that I collect ponies because they make me happy.  If collecting them ever stops being fun, I'll stop.  That doesn't necessarily mean I have to sell them all, but I certainly don't have to keep hunting them down :)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
One of the problems might be that we are getting constant Main 6 ponies.. Granted they are NOW trying to jazz them up a little (Black Tie Pinkie and possibly Rainbow Rarity... not even sure if that is her official name... also the translucent FS ponies)

I didn't burn out on collecting my ponies as I'm still buying G1 and G3 from time to time... and probably didn't burn out because I'm not one of those "got to have them all and keep up with them" type collector... I'll eventually get some of them from other members here or else where for cheap xD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
I can understand a person losing interest in the G4 toyline.  I am seriously starting to collect, but I think it will be mostly G1s, as well as some G2's and early G3s (mostly G1s though).  Not G4, however much I adore the show.  My reason being, G4 is basically Core 7 trying to pretend its not Core 7.

What I mean is, while they do create ponies other than the mane six, they are all just pallete swaps of the mane six.  I don't know how many of you have seen a cartoon called "Regular Show" (you don't need to have seen it, to understand what I mean), but in one episode, the two main characters bought a D&D style game, but later found out that (among other things) the characters they could choose from were all the exact same character, just redrawn. 

That is what the G4 toyline is; just the mane six, recolored, and that includes ponies that we've actually heard of like Lyra.  It's not the same with everypony, but it is for the most part.  Also, some of them don't even look like the ponies they're supposed to be (mane six included).  I know the Pink Celestia is a running joke now, but at least it still looked like her, just colored wrong, and "acted" (it was a speaking toy) wrong.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm hitting the saturation level myself. There's so much stuff out now (toys AND merch) that it's kind of overwhelming, and I'm sitting here in more of a 'gotta catch 'em all' mode instead of "oh my god I am SO EXCITED to buy all of this stuff!" :/ Hasbro needs to slow down or they're gonna burn out their fanbase reeeeeal quick.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
For me  - it comes and goes. somtimes I love my 900+ ponies, other times I want to throw them out the damn window.

I would hang on to them, as it may be just a temporary thing.

As for the G4 line - they need to release ponies BESIDES the freakin mane 6 over and over again. Did they not learn their lesson with the core 7 from G3??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:41:12 AM by tikibirds »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:47:37 AM »
That is how I kinda feel about most of my g3 collection...I did downsize but I still have a lot of them. There are a few I could never get rid of so I just keep my g3 and love what I have anyway...I find the g4 more cute now and I guess that is why I am not so crazy about the g3. They took forever to even come out with non earthlings compared to g4. G4 also is easier to store because they are smaller so I can fit more on a shelf. My g1 will always always come 1st in my heart though.

Wadatsumi

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 12:56:04 AM »
I can understand a person losing interest in the G4 toyline.  I am seriously starting to collect, but I think it will be mostly G1s, as well as some G2's and early G3s (mostly G1s though).  Not G4, however much I adore the show.  My reason being, G4 is basically Core 7 trying to pretend its not Core 7.

What I mean is, while they do create ponies other than the mane six, they are all just pallete swaps of the mane six.  I don't know how many of you have seen a cartoon called "Regular Show" (you don't need to have seen it, to understand what I mean), but in one episode, the two main characters bought a D&D style game, but later found out that (among other things) the characters they could choose from were all the exact same character, just redrawn. 

That is what the G4 toyline is; just the mane six, recolored, and that includes ponies that we've actually heard of like Lyra.  It's not the same with everypony, but it is for the most part.  Also, some of them don't even look like the ponies they're supposed to be (mane six included).  I know the Pink Celestia is a running joke now, but at least it still looked like her, just colored wrong, and "acted" (it was a speaking toy) wrong.

exactly this! you speak me out of my heart seifer :(

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 02:36:00 AM »
I'm going through the same thing, G4 is starting to bore me. With the same poses and bad accessories it's just not as interesting to me as G1 is. And I have decided to sell anypony I don't love anymore. They are going to make somebody else happy instead of sitting on my shelfs and being glared at. I just don't collect to have them all, I collect to have things I love. Maybe I'll regret later, but right now I'm happy to see them go.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
I think its only to be expected no matter what you collect to have little peaks and troughs in enjoyment/passion. There is absolutely no harm in taking a break from collecting altogether or putting a hold on certain gens. My only advice would be dont rush to sell on or get out of collecting them - give it time, make sure its not just a phase. And I can also assure you that I am sure a lot of us here, myself included, will admit that we have all had little periods [even if its just 5 mins :P] of just wondering whether we wish to continue collecting.

As for G4 I agree the continual re release is boring and does not help. However, I remember back about year 3 of G3 when we were all moaning about how many releases there was and how hard it was to keep up!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I think its only to be expected no matter what you collect to have little peaks and troughs in enjoyment/passion. There is absolutely no harm in taking a break from collecting altogether or putting a hold on certain gens. My only advice would be dont rush to sell on or get out of collecting them - give it time, make sure its not just a phase. And I can also assure you that I am sure a lot of us here, myself included, will admit that we have all had little periods [even if its just 5 mins :P] of just wondering whether we wish to continue collecting.

As for G4 I agree the continual re release is boring and does not help. However, I remember back about year 3 of G3 when we were all moaning about how many releases there was and how hard it was to keep up!

I agree with you! I did that when the core 7 ponies came out.  I stopped collecting and sold off most of my collection. I wish that I did not do that though. We learn sometimes from our past.

I do agree that Hasbro needs to slow done a little. We do not have money tree's in our yards. Sometimes collectors can get overwhelmed with all this new stuff coming out. We get to the point that we can not afford or enjoy our hobby anymore.

What drives me crazy is when a new pony set comes out and some of the ponies have already been released. I want the new ponies but on seconds of the other pony.  I will not buy my daughter a set that has a pony she already has. 

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
in the same boat here. I recently sold off a good chunk of my brushable g4s. The repeated release of the same exact mold time and time gets a little boring. At least with the other lines, they had different poses and came up with some neat ideas for add-ons.

G4, well g4 has tinsel and glitter and repeats. I'm loosing interest. I wish i wasn't but i am. When I go to the toy isle and see the exact same brushables that have been sitting there for a year or two, it gets sad and eventually you stop going to look.

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
Same here :( I feel like there's nothing really new and exciting anymore as far as the toys go, and the ones that have been out for a while just get remade with nothing really special to make me want them. And I don't really even display my G4s anymore because I'm starting to feel less and less happy with the design in general, though I'm not entirely sure why, other than the lack of pose and expression diversity >.> G1s display so beautifully and are all different and unique. Whereas with G4 I just feel like I'm displaying 20 different Pinkies, RDs and Twilights just with different colors and plain clip-art cutie marks. Ooooh, and one of them has a raised leg, how special. ~vent~

It makes me feel bad, because my lack of interest in the G4s is making me come here less, which is silly!
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal