collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 Custom Questions  (Read 634 times)

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
G4 Custom Questions
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
Hi there. I'm getting back into customs and have a couple questions about the G4 line. I don't have any G4 in my possession at the moment.

Do the G4 pony eyes have molded eyes like G1 and G3 etc., or is the side of the head just flat? It looks flat in pictures to me. If it is flat do you then just freehand the eyes or paint over the existing ones?

Also is rehairing any different? Difficulties with the heads, etc?

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
Re: G4 Custom Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
There is a little outline in the heads so you can see where the eye was. Hair is the same but the neck plug is tricky

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
Khaleesi! Love her and that show.

Anyway, thanks for the reply! :)

P.S. I had no idea G4s were so small!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:14:59 PM by sweetlittlejenny »

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
There is a outline but its a lot fainter than say G1 or G3 but it is there :biggrin: Its faint enough that you can ignore it if you want and it won't look weird like it would on a older gen.

Rehairing is similar, but I would make sure to poke the hole first with a thumb tack or something because the plastic is a bit harder than the other generations.

Now the necks are different in that instead of having having the plug attached to the head like the older gens are they are attached to the neck and you have to cut them out to get to the tail and what not and that is the tricky part. My advice is to soak them in hot water for a while and then use a xacto knife to cut it open; don't rush it, go slow and resoak it when the plastic gets harder. OOh and try to hold the pony with something other than your hands, I can't tell you how many times I've cut my hands and fingers because I was holding on to the pony while trying to cut out the neck plug. >_<

Hope that helps ;)
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Id just like to add, about the eyes. Like everyone else said they are molded, but they arnt all the same, like G3's and G1. Some are rounded "big eyed" like i think all of pinkie pies for example, while fluttershy has a sort of closed eye mold, and all the unicorns have a sort of "marquise" shaped eye, unless they started making some without since iv customized/collected, which is very possible since its been a year lol

anyway there are more eye shapes then I mentioned, I just thought Id say something xD because it can sometimes make a difference in the personality you want your custom to have. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
All very good info to know. Soo, you have to cut the neck plug off to get to the tail? Or has anyone found a way without doing that? I've always liked putting the head back on the plug if at all possible. Just made me feel it was more secure.

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Oh well you glue the plug back in the neck, or at least thats what I do. That way the head can still turn as well.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Hi sweetlittlejenny, it's nice to see a familiar name. :)

Anime_Amy did a nice pictorial on prepping a G4. It's archived on the old Arena but still accessible.
http://mlparena.com/archive/Forums//viewtopic/p=3156841.html
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Ooh, thanks pop-girl. I'll have to check that out.

Just started and already.....fail.
I tried to pop her head off and broke the plug off at the neck soooo, now she has a rattling head. Not sure if I'll be able to get that out either. :/

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »
Ooh, thanks pop-girl. I'll have to check that out.

Just started and already.....fail.
I tried to pop her head off and broke the plug off at the neck soooo, now she has a rattling head. Not sure if I'll be able to get that out either. :/

Oh thats happend to me too  >_< Neck time try soaking the head in hot water before removing it, that usually prevents that from happening. But fret not! I have broken the plug several times and was always able to fix it ^.^

What your going to do now, is take that head soak it in hot water then take a pair of pliers put them in her head and use the pliers to stretch open her neck hole (make sure to do it in all directions) don't worry her neck hole will shrink back down after the plastic cools! Next your going to need a pair of tweezers or really thin and long needle nose pliers and a lot of patience :pullhair:. Just keep trying to pull the head of the plug out, I know it will seem frustrating but it can be done! Re-soak if the plastic starts to harden.  Once you have it out, reglue with super glue the top of the plug on make sure its on there good, once its dry I like to add another layer of glue. Also when you go to put the head back on, while you won't be able to soak it again you will still need to widen up the hole in the neck again so you don't put too much pressure on the plug.

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
Good info LittleKirara. That's helps a lot. You cleared up some stuff for me. Gotta go check out pop's link, I'm sure that'll help too.

Never having taken one apart I was still assuming the neck plug was molded to the pony and not an entirely different piece altogether. Guess now I know.

These things are so freaking tiny! I thought they were at least the size of G3.5. That's gonna be some tedious painting!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
They are very small. That g4 prep guide is really useful. Heating the head to make it flexible is the only thing ive found that helps.  You could probably post around and see if someone could send you an extra neck plug. Some people just glue the heads back on so they don't turn and it leaves them with a few extra plugs. I've made a few resin copies but they aren't strong enough for sale or extensive use.

I will say the normal fashion styles have a neck very similar to the g3.

G4 are tiny and hard to work with. I usually have to widen my plug holes when I am rehairing. I just take a push pin or a needle and poke it through to widen it a little. Nothing too big so as not to break the plug holes. Good luck!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
I agree with all the advice you've been given here.

When I started customizing g4s I hated it, but once you get the hang of it, they are actually a lot of fun. They take less hair to finish and I feel like there is a lot of room to make different eye styles. I just did my 2nd and 3rd Shining Armor customs (they are even worse to dismantle) and I'm having a much better time now that I have my stripping method down. ;) Keep at it and definitely use the hot water.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal