collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you feel like your collection is only worth having if you can display it?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
I like to have at least my favourite ponies out where I can see them.  It's nice to walk past and take a glance at all of my happy girls (and boys!) lined up and smiling at me :)

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
My ponies were kept on a bookshelf when I first started collecting them and only had a few. I went through a spell where I wasn't actively collecting so they spent quite a few years in storage bins. I currently have my entire collection in glass display cases and bookshelves.

I do love having them all out so I can admire them and pick them up whenever I choose, but I kind of miss the fun of opening up a bin and rediscovering my collection again! It's easy to forget which ponies you have when you don't see them so I would constantly be pleasantly surprised when I "found" a pony that I didn't know that I had. I am in the middle of reorganizing my shelves and just might put some away for a bit so I can dig them out again later and enjoy them with fresh eyes and appreciation :)

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
My collection isnt currently displayed but I would love to eventually do that! Id love a pony room! My collection is worth it to me even though its not displayed yet! :p

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
I didn't think that way originally... but now you mention it, I am starting to feel a bit like that :(

I only have room to display a few MOCs at my parent's house, not even a quarter of my MOC collection and absolutely no loose ponies. Lately I have been thinking how cluttered everywhere in my house is with boxes of ponies and I'm wondering what the point is a little bit... I really need to go through them all and have a sort-out!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
:hug: mercy...I am sure you will have space to get them all displayed at some point in the future.

Personally I think its easier to get enjoyment out of a collection if its on display, yes. But I don't think its only worth having them if they are on display. You never know when circumstances will change and you will perhaps have more room. And also just because they are not out does not mean that in changing out different ponies you don't get a worthwhile level of enjoyment.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Well, considering the fact that I got rid of the parts I could not longer display, I guess I do feel that way. I didn't want to store them.

Eaglefeather

I'm kind of the opposite. I like to keep my ponies tucked away in a drawer so that I can take them out and admire them whenever I would like without having to worry about dusting shelves. Unfortunately there will come a time when I run out of drawer space.  :biggrin:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I'm lucky and have an entire (small) room that I call my "office" that is mostly devoted to my ponies.  It's been a requirement when house hunting for my husband and I both to have our own "play rooms" just for our own things.  It also helps keep the rest of the house closer to what society as a whole considers "grown up."  My pony room has a file cabinet, a desk, an antique sewing machine and a lonely bookshelf (but the books are losing ground to the ponies...), but other than that, it's literally just lined with shelves for my ponies.  I would probably still collect, even if I couldn't display them, but there is such a warm feeling about walking in to my pony room and seeing them all there.  Also, since I apparently have a big problem keeping my checklists up to date (and it seems like there is *always* at least one pony I "know" I have that I actually don't...) it's a super quick way for me to check if I have a pony I find for sale or not :) 

cleverLC

No way to display them all here... I'd have to put away all our many, many books (and we practically live in a library :lol:).  I just swap them around periodically, sometimes themed, sometimes not.

But even if I couldn't display any of my herd, I'd still want to keep them. ^.^  So many have stories attached to how I got them, from my childhood ponies to the ones I've got on the Arena from friends and fellow collectors, to seriously good deals found at thrift, and so on and so on.  And just looking at them, or taking one out now and then to admire/pamper, makes me so happy. ^.^

You haven't seen my pony-shelf picture, have you?  Displaying things in front of your books on the shelves can be fun! :)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I have contemplated this for a very long time. I do have a pony room but it is mostly my G1's and G3's, all or most of my G4's are packed away in totes. I feel bad for them  :cry:

So I think ok I am going to sell off some of my least favorite one's on display and display my G4's. I chicken out then and try to think if hubby will allow me to turn our other bedroom into another pony room???
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
Currently i have all my ponies up, but i am running out of space and either need to get more shelves (which i dont know if my hubby will go for) or start boxing some of them.... maybe some of my G3's if i run out of room for my G1's.... we will see, i just feel bad cuz the ponies are taking over the game room which is for both of us to display stuff.

autojoy

While our flat isn't super-duper tiny, it is pretty small, and the storage space we do have is full of stuff like vacuum cleaners and buckets and so on  :lol: We use our toys for decoration! I *love* seeing toys around the flat. It really brightens the place. So, while I don't think it's necessary, I would be sad if there were toys that were put away, that could be on display...! Different for everyone, of course.

... really annoying to dust though, and I have dust allergies too  :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Definitely not- I display my favorites and cycle through.  Not having everything on display at once makes setting up new displays and changing things up more fun.

Also- cuts down on the light damage and dust.

momo_no_hime

I like having all of mine on display. When I start running out of room I "thin the herd" by selling it rather than boxing it up. There isn't a ton of storage room in our house either, so I have to keep my collection at a pretty steady number. If I add some, I have to get rid of some.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
I also like having mine on display. I do 'rotate them' occasionally according to who I want on display the most I guess.
Sadly, I don't have enough room for my family ponies to be on display at the moment. Nor my few windy wings. When I get my new bookcase that will change though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal