collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Army Ponies - How did you decide?  (Read 801 times)

vixen_icefox

• Trade Count: (0)
Army Ponies - How did you decide?
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »
Seeing some of the pictures around the Arena of pony armies has me thinking about building my own.  How did you pony generals pick the character for your army?  What did you base it on?  I'm wondering if I should try to keep it cost effective, or just go with someone I really love. 

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Army Ponies - How did you decide?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »
It wasn't a terribly tricky decision for me, Fizzy has always been my favorite pony, but second place is a considerable toss up.

I've considered multiple armies but haven't gotten there yet. 

Did you have an absolute favorite growing up?  A pony from the show that had special meaning to you but you could never find?  For me it was Fizzy.  All my friends had her and I remember her from the show and movies most of all.  But I could never find her in stores and well honestly I was just a kid and never got her as a gift.  As an adult she was on of the first ponies I got.

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:28:28 AM »
I'd go with my favorite.
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

vixen_icefox

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »
I'm trying to decide between Bubbles and Seashell..  but I can forsee complications with both of these since they don't appear to be very common.  I actually need both for my collection, but I can't seem to find any that are in good enough condition.  These are two ponies I really wanted when I was a kid, but never got.  My ponies usually came from yard sales, so it was the luck of the draw for me... unless it was my birthday or Christmas.  I guess I'm worried it'll turn up being an army of one with either of those characters!   >_<

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:07 AM »
Parasol was my first pony. I don't have massive copies of her just several from different countries.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »
I have a small TAF Yum Yum collection.  Very loooonnnngggggg story short - my parents got rid of my MLP from childhood (I had hundreds of them).  Turns out that a lonely TAF Yum Yum had somehow got separated from the rest of the herd.  My mom found her last year while cleaning in the attic (Yum Yum was mixed in a box with clothes and other random things).  She is still in excellent condition too!  She is also extra special to me because my grandparents bought her for me (they are deceased).   

Bubbles and Seashell are not too uncommon.  And, nobody said you had to build your army in a day! I've collected 5 TAF Yum Yum's in one year...  Just keep your eyes peeled for deals and I'm sure you will have a herd of them before you know it!  :biggrin:
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
Mine happened by accident! :P

I collect oddities from Taobao and it happens that there are a lot of Applejack variants. These plus the regular releases of AJ in G1 and G4 = my accidental AJ army :biggrin:

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »
Mine started by accident. I keep getting Blind Bag Applejacks or Apple Fritter. Because AJ is my favorite G4 pony and a nod to G1 (what I primarily focus on). It works. Recently I started adding any G1 or G4 with an apple cutie mark.

Go with what you like and no rush. Mine has taken over a year to get started.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

vixen_icefox

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
I have a small TAF Yum Yum collection.  Very loooonnnngggggg story short - my parents got rid of my MLP from childhood (I had hundreds of them).  Turns out that a lonely TAF Yum Yum had somehow got separated from the rest of the herd.  My mom found her last year while cleaning in the attic (Yum Yum was mixed in a box with clothes and other random things).  She is still in excellent condition too!  She is also extra special to me because my grandparents bought her for me (they are deceased).   

Aww!  This is a great story!  And you're totally right.. I can't build an army overnight.  I just had a thought -  Maybe some of the customizers could help me get started with some G3 or G4 Seashells if I can't find any G1s for a while.  (I'm pretty impatient about ponies!  :lol: )

And Sarah-Bee:  I need to check out Taobao.  I've never ordered from there, but I've seen people putting together orders.  Must be some good stuff!   ;)   

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 06:47:03 AM »
My armies will be of customs of Nightglider and Baby Sapphire. Nightglider is my favorite pony from the time I started collecting and Baby Sapphire was the one pony I wanted more than anything as a kid and my all-time favorite beside Baby Sunbright. Baby Sunbright is my favorite pony from my childhood and her I find too special to own multiple copies of. ^.^

vixen_icefox

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:27 AM »
Applejack is popular!  I love the new G4 version of her.  It's the perfect personality for her.  She reminds me of my mom!   ^.^ 

Uninu:  I had to look up Baby Sapphire because I had never seen her before.  She's SO cute!  I wish the Jewellery Babies had been available to the US.  I want them in my collection now!  hahaha

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
I picked Gusty because I've always really liked her colors and personality on the show. She's just a beautiful pony, and not very HTF either, so building an army wasn't incredibly difficult. ^-^

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
My G4 Rarity army is on purpose. She is my favorite G4 pony so I collect one of each release. Even if they are essentially the same. Same with Cadance as she is my favorite G4 princess. Some are by accident. It's either because A. I forgot I already had that pony or B. I found 'em at a thrift/antique/collectibles store or flea market for super cheap and can't resist the price. XD
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

vixen_icefox

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
Ooh, Gusty is a good choice!  I love her colors.  And Rarity is one of my favorites from the G4s.  There's so many good ponies to choose from to make an army! 

If you guys feel like posting them, I would love to see pictures of your armies!   :)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »
I have an unofficial army that I never, ever intended on having.  It's TE Speedy.  I neither like nor dislike her, and I did have her as a child, so I suppose there are some fond memories there.  However, I don't seem to be able to escape finding her.  It's like new Speedies just show up at my house.  I've had at least one in every lot that I've won off Ebay, she's *always* in boxes of ponies that are given to me from friends' childhood collections.  What's weird is I swear I've tried to get rid of some of them, but they just won't go away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal