collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The mystery of Mimic's appeal  (Read 1898 times)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of Mimic's appeal
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
I think the parrot symbol lies at the center of the Mimic love.It's a pretty symbol, but also pretty unique. Combine that with the fact that she's green, which is sadly underused color for ponies, and that she's a unicorn, and I think that explains it to me. She's just the right combination of unique and beautiful. If the viewer loves TEs as well, that just seals the deal.
I'll put something here some time

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »
Personally its the parrot symbol - I have a macaw who I adore [even if he is the biological child of a serial killer x crocodile] so there is a personal connection.

But as for why generally she is more pricey and popular...why is Red Roses so expensive in comparison to Sweet Lily, Lemon Treats in comparison to Sugar Sweet, Diamond Dreams in comparison to Sunnybunch or Baby Leaper in comparison to Baby Countdown. Its just that sometimes some ponies have a "collectability" about them and that increases their desirability which in turn makes them more expensive.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
Well the main reason why I wanted her was because she was popular and sought after.  It's nice to have a pony that is rare or hard to find or maybe even just popular.

Another reason why I wanted her is because I like her color combination and the parrot of course.  Plus she appears in only one episode.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
When I was in the pony community, 96-2000, she was still kind of a hot thing. Here's a page where someone discusses her and the reasons from way back:  http://www.angelfire.com/ak/mirosuki/Customizing.html

I think she's just appealing to some people, really. And then some people love the whole "I gotta have it, it's rare" mentality.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
I had her when I was a kid.  She was a gift for some holiday or other.  I never really liked her much, but as I got older I really began to like her.  I have 3 now - childhood one which is kept apart from my collection (as are all my childhood ponies), one for display with normal TE's, and one for display with my "swag" ponies, lol! 

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
I love her!

For me, it's her unique colors and her pose. She's in one of my favorite G1 poses. She just looks so joyful! I love all the ponies blessed with that pose... Princess Sparkle, Bangles, Milky Way...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Cat that is the best description of a large parrot, ever. Having been around them and love them. Yeah, you summed it up.

Back on topic. I had the chance to own her when I was a kid. My Mom and I where in a Toys R Us doing birthday shopping, for one of my girl cousins. I picked out a MLP for her and was told I could get one for myself. Or I could get a new Hot Wheels car. Sadly the wheels won out that day.  :huh: Clearly remembering holding her in my hand and debating, "green parrot pony or a car". Wish I could go back and undo that choice.

Have always liked her coloring and symbol, it was so different. Compared to the other G1s. Maybe someday I'll get around to owning her.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
I love Mimic because as a kid, she was my ABSOLUTE favorite pony from the series.  Yes, she was only in one episode, but I fell in love with her from that one.  I wanted her as a kid, and would have had her if we would have been able to find her in stores, and never did.  This love for Mimic never went away and she was my first HTF pony I sought out when I first started collecting. 

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
I didnt like her before. But now I have to say there is just something about her.. Its the combination of her pose, unusual colours and twinkle eyes. She's just.. special.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »
Mimic is Caribbean Delight and Sunrise Song's mother   :P  :lol:

Awwwww. :like:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
I hated her green color when I first started collecting, thus didn't care for her at all for many years. Though in the past couple of years, she's started growing on me. I will probably never have her though since she's so crazy expensive, but if I ever came across her at a fleamarket or something I would be pretty excited. ^-^

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
Cat that is the best description of a large parrot, ever. Having been around them and love them. Yeah, you summed it up.

:) Sometimes it baffles me that I love him so much when he seems to have one goal in life which is to remove my eye balls [in fact the eye balls of every living creature and non living toy around him] and every single bit of skin on my body - but hes my baby :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
I loved her as a kid, and after starting collecting ponies again I was hoping to get her soon. Sadly that's not going to happen because there is no way I'm paying that much for a plastic pony, no matter how pretty. Besides, Fizzy is such as pretty as she is with her green color and twinkle eyes.

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
Personally, I like Mimic for a couple reasons. First one, is her colors: I really like her color palette, it's got a really nice tropical feel to it, without it being too jarring, like on some other ponies I've seen. Next is her symbol - it's really cute. Thirdly, it's the fact that she's a TE: I really love twinkle-eyed ponies, they're really unique and mesmerizing with those diamod eyes of theirs... :D

At the same time though, it's actually quite weird how insanely popular she's become. I mean, she is quite a HTF, but she isn't as rare as some other ponies like Ice Crystal, Sweet Scoops or Rapunzel, since there's been quite a number of auctions with her, and from what I've seen, several people had enough luck of finding her in thrift stores, ebay auction lots and such. 

I guess that it mostly has to do with all those stories surrounding her, making her appear to be this "rarest pony in existence". 

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
I love Mimic because as a kid, she was my ABSOLUTE favorite pony from the series.  Yes, she was only in one episode, but I fell in love with her from that one.  I wanted her as a kid, and would have had her if we would have been able to find her in stores, and never did.  This love for Mimic never went away and she was my first HTF pony I sought out when I first started collecting. 

I hadn't realized Mimic was even in the series! I watched it as a kid, but I didn't remember her. I just went and found the episode on youtube though! If you can get past the bad quality, it was a nice nostalgic trip. :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m311StJTx0
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal