collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bugs in my apartment - Advice?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
Bugs in my apartment - Advice?
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
Okay, every summer this time of year, there seems to be a trend of getting fruit flies in the apartment. However, those are easily dealt with.  This year, it's been one thing after another...
First we got what a friend referred to as "drain flies". They look like fruit flies but there's nothing out for fruit flies (I know better by now) and they're not attracted to the traps.  They appear to be coming out of the drains in the kitchen AND the bathrooms too.
Next it was ants... I know I tend to be a person that lives in clutter, but I don't leave dirty stuff or food laying around.  I don't know why I got ants in the first place. 
Now it's these things:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They look sort of like ants, but they have wings and clearly attracted to lights and light colors (like the white bookshelf next to my bed).  I have no idea what they are, and are currently slightly swarming in my place.  I thought they might be related to the ants (which are smaller) but I saw them trying to eat each other this morning.
It looks like the ants and winged-ant-things are coming in from a space between the carpet and the floorboard of our apartment.

This is driving me crazy because, aside from fruit flies, we've never had bugs in the apartment, in the 5 years we've lived there.  I'm really concerned about what to use to try and get rid of them because I have cats.  Also, the ants and winged-ant-things are in the living room and I sleep on the couch in there due to significant back problems.  Has anyone had these things in there places?  Do you have any advice?  Possible natural deterrents...?

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs in my apartment - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
Those look like carpenter ants and seeing more then a couple is not really a good sign. I would call your apartment manager. It's very possible you have a nest Especially since you said they are coming from a space between the floorboard.

Offline LadySiha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »
Those look like carpenter ants and seeing more then a couple is not really a good sign. I would call your apartment manager. It's very possible you have a nest Especially since you said they are coming from a space between the floorboard.
Yeah, I was sort of looking online and it looked that way... I was hoping I was wrong...

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »
Diatomaceous earth, food grade. It's a natural bug killer and has no harmful chemicals.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline LadySiha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
Diatomaceous earth, food grade. It's a natural bug killer and has no harmful chemicals.

Where would I find it?

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
I haven't looked for it myself yet, but it's supposedly at hardware stores. Perhaps Home Depot? I emphasize food grade, not pool grade, as the latter has been treated with chemicals and is toxic.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
Drain flies live on the organic build-up in and your drains. I had them once. If you can see visible gunk around the outside of the drain, you may just need to clean that. If that's not the problem, do a search for how to take care of the problem; I'd imagine it won't be anything terribly complicated, like using a drain cleaner or something like that.

The winged ants are the new queens going out to start a new colony. They should be gone in a few days on their own. HOWEVER, it means you have a nest somewhere. Tell your landlord or apartment manager. They should have to do something about that.

Offline LadySiha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
Thank you, everyone!  My husband is supposed to talk to our apartment manager today (since I'm at work - otherwise I'd rather take care of it myself).  I was hoping I'd be able to deal with the ants myself, but it seems a lot more serious than that.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

Where would I find it?

Ask the garden section at Wal-Mart.  I think I found it there before.  And yes - you want the food grade, as SDS says, NOT the pool (toxic) kind.  Do this in the meantime of calling your landlord for professional treatment.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
I hope your manager will be able to help or if they don't that you'll find something  to get rid of them yourself.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
It's ant season and fruit fly/drain season. I've got em too. I use vinegar for the ants and this awesome trap you can get at most hardware stores.

http://www.terro.com/pressroom/TERRO%20Fruit%20Fly%20Trap.JPG
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
I would call your landlord. As long as your apartment is being kept clean and not attracting bugs, any necessary bug control should be their problem to deal with. Perhaps one of your neighbours is less than clean, and that is attracting things to the building.

Offline LadySiha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
It's ant season and fruit fly/drain season. I've got em too. I use vinegar for the ants and this awesome trap you can get at most hardware stores.

http://www.terro.com/pressroom/TERRO%20Fruit%20Fly%20Trap.JPG
My mom got me started on those SWEET fruit fly traps the first year I lived away from home (I was bad about leaving bananas on the counter....  :blush:)  I swear by those now.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »

Where would I find it?

Ask the garden section at Wal-Mart.  I think I found it there before.  And yes - you want the food grade, as SDS says, NOT the pool (toxic) kind.  Do this in the meantime of calling your landlord for professional treatment.

Tractor Supply Co carries it, too.  You can find it by the chicken feed :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
I'd always recommend terro for carpenter ants. It's quite effective. We had a rotting tree in our front yard and they made their way into the house. Terro=all gone anties.

Any luck with your landlord yet?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal