collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Storage Advice  (Read 330 times)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
Pony Storage Advice
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »
My fiance and I are moving into an apartment in about two months and I am not sure how I should store my ponies while transporting them to the apartment. Luckily I won't have to worry about my ponies getting lost or damaged because my parents have a van and an SUV and my fiance has a trailer for his sport bike so we won't be using a moving truck. Anyways, I want to ensure that they are safe. Should I just store them in a big plastic storage bin and put a lid on it? And would putting them in said storage bin for the next two months damage them in any way? I know I have two months, but I want to try and get as much done as I can. I'm hoping I won't have to keep them stored when we move in though. Thanks! :heart:
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Storage Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »
They should be fine in storage bins.  If you're concerned, you can wrap each pony in plain white tissue paper to help pad them.  Plastic bags are not recommended because they create "microclimates" - a small sealed space that can cause or worsen condition problems.  Keep them away from sunlight, in a stable humidity and temperature, and they'll be fine. An occasional airing out won't hurt either. Collectibles like the same kind of conditions people do, don't put them in attics or basements, both of which can be subject to fluctuations of temperature and/or humidity.

If you have any "tacky" / plasticizer leeching ponies, store those separately since they can cause paint / color transfer if in contact with other ponies. Accessories can be safely kept in bags since they are generally fabric and/or hard plastics. 

Don't stack too many ponies on top of each other, as over time the weight (however slight) of the top ones can deform those below, especially if the environment is warm.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
Baby Sugarberry posted much of this while I was typing, so I'll second her!

Hello!  I'd say you're fine to store them for a few months in a storage bin as long as they are all completely dry (no pre-storage baths!).  I'd add some silica packets to reduce moisture.  I don't think it's a good idea to store your ponies long-term in airtight containers (at least not G1s--as plastic ages, it breaks down, often leaking plasticizer, which can cause a moisture problem in a closed environment).  But I'd say a few months is fine.  Also I'd make sure you don't have ponies rubbing against other ponies, just in case you have any color bleeding.  Best of luck with the move!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
Thank you so much! Since I don't know which of my ponies might bleed on others, if any, I might just wait 'til the week of or the week before since I don't have a lot of ponies to store. Less than 150 all together I believe. Most of them being G1's and G2's. I really appreciate the advice! Very helpful! :heart:
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
It sounds like you will be storing them for a very short period rather than anything long term so I honestly don't think you need to go to the extra levels of precaution I would normally advise if they were perhaps being locked away for much longer.

If they are in a plastic container as long as they are in a nice temp controlled environment and the box is made breathable but not too exposed they should be fine. And you can always pop some silica gel packs in the plastic boxes to help maintain a nice balance as well.  Also make sure if the box is coloured in any way that you ensure the ponies are protected from pressing against the plastic - otherwise the plastic can stain them.

You can pop them in baggies if its easier but leave them open or again let them breath. Personally I prefer white acid free tissue paper but if they are only being transported and stored a short time you may not feel the need to do that.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »
My ponies in storage are wrapped in old fabric (i know it's colourfast that way!) and put in plastic bins with silica packets. I tend to leave the little plastic pieces along the top of the tub on (the bits it tells you to take off) because they prevent it being airtight, and I prefer it that way, even if it warps the lid a little. The tub is in a well-ventilated wardrobe in a cool room and has another blanket over it to prevent light exposure. I haven't had any problems yet, so I've stuck to this method.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
If you do need to store them in plastic bags for a short time you can punch a hole in the bag. This helps with airflow and can stop moisture building up. But as everyone else said plastic bags are not good for long term storage. Cautionary tale below!

I stored my childhood Koosh balls in a tied plastic bag in a plastic crate. When I got them back out last year the rubber in the balls had started to break down and smell terrible (the smell transfers to other things too). :( The couple of Koosh balls I had just lying around in my room are fine and are just like the day I bought them.
Koosh balls are made of a different material to ponies but the issue of the material breaking down is the same.

You also shouldn't store accessories on ponies at any point. Over time the colour from the accessory can leach into the plastic of the pony. This is especially important with dark-coloured fabrics - the Halloween G3s are known to have marks from where their black-coloured accessories have been touching them.

Best of luck with your move! :)
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:16 AM »
My ponies (the ones that aren't baited) are in a reusable shopping bag until I can get them shown off.  Nopony's wearing any accessories, except G4 Sunset Shimmer and her mask.  They look to be OK so far, and they'll probably be there another month.  Since they're inside and out of the light, I'm not concerned.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal