collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you choose how to style the hair?!  (Read 269 times)

Offline trulyoutrageous

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
  • Tinrobo made my Avatar!
    • View Profile
How do you choose how to style the hair?!
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
Hi all,

First Custom finally coming together after a few months of it laying untouched. All re-rooted.. body 90% finished, just another few details to eye-paint... but...

So far her mane and tail are just loooong and straight... I think it might be a little dull but can't decide how to style it... I guess I could try lots of different ways with the actual pony to see what looks best but I am strapped for time getting ready for the ponycon... and I don't want to frazzle her hair permanently as it is so silky and smooth right now!

How do you know what is going to look best on your customs?
More pictures coming when she's all finished.. I am wanting a 'romantic' soft style.... x :blink:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: How do you choose how to style the hair?!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
Well, for a romantic soft style, you'll probably want to go with loose curls I'd think. As for how to choose a style, I'm not sure. I just kinda try to picture he pony in my head in different ways. I think it might be something that comes with experience. Maybe try taking a look around the forum at different hair styles to help you think of something.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:45:08 PM »
I second Kat, look around at other pony styles (and some human hairstyles too!) and see what grabs you.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
I actually prefer long straight styles unless the theme of the custom really calls for something different. A fancy style can add a special something to a custom but sometimes it can be distracting - like doing your own hair in an intricate up do and dressing in a t-shirt and jeans. It's up to you as the artist to decide what type of style will enhance your overall design.

On a side note: I have one custom in my collection with styled hair and the temptation to take out her hair pins and brush it is sometimes overwhelming. :P
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:44:55 AM »
How do I decide? Hmmm... well, I love styling their manes! It's so much fun... it all depends on the pony's "personality"... I like giving them unique looks, and I put a lot of thought into it. How many colors of hair they have, their eye shape, the color patterning, the pony type and pose... To me, there are lots of factors! And I make sure to have fun while doing it. If you have fun, you're sure to make something you'll be happy with.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »
I'm not a customizer, per say, more of a rehair-er... but I typically go for the long straight style with slight curl at the end. You can separate out the curls to make it look more... messy or bouncy like... or leave it in one big curl. I do this mostly because I like to show off what colors I have in the mane, and the long straight seems to make it stand out the most. I've rehaired some ponies who I had the intention of giving them ringlet hair or something like that, and once I get them done, I always fall for the long, straight, end-curl style, haha! :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »
ive always been fond of loose chunky curls (from leg or neckwraps mostly) give just a tiny splash of style to it and generally just makes it look prettier than leavin it straight. and yes I agree you can separate the curls a bit to make it look more energetic, or carefully separate them and arrange them in a delicate fan to make it look more elegant, like separate the tail curl into 3+ curls and arrange around  the legs, kinda like the train on a dress. (looks FANTASTIC on flutters imo)

low maintenance, easy to do, and pretty! =]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal