collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Shop Peeves  (Read 4001 times)

RedKitsune

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Thrift Shop Peeves
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
An outfit you want on a lame doll. (like a really pretty Jasmine outfit on a stiff limb Barbie)

I just wanted to add I actually like it when I find something like this. I collect porcelain doll outfits from my local goodwill to put on my girl BJD doll. Of course, they never sell them separately from the doll, so I basically buy the whole doll just for the outfit. The dolls are usually $10 to $12 each. Though you have to remember, BJD outfits go for like $100+ each. So this is cheap for me. Then if your lucky, you get the wig, eyes, socks, and shoes from the doll as well to use. Just something to keep in mind, one man's trash is anothers treasure.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
That some of the prices are just way to much , or that a pony will be mixed with junk.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »
i actually work in a charity /thrift shop and we try to keep the things we think are the same togeather eg got a load of action man figures so we put them all togeather but priced them sepourately as they are big same with dolls we genraly dont put out naked ones though most small toys including mlp and fakies go in the 50p box  loose so you can get as many or as little as you want ,as for clothes most things are priced at £4 skirts ,trouses &tops but if its a designer name we put more money on it eg. jager ,boohoo ,phase eight ,boden ect dresses are £6 unless designer the most is £15 so i think thats a prety good deal ! xaflamex

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
I always accepted that thrift stores that pre-bag the toys are trying to ensure everything has a chance at being bought. Yes, it sucks to get something you don't care about in the bag, but the cost of that bag for the pony is still cheaper than the shipping alone would be if you bought it on Ebay. Otherwise the stores would end up with a lot of stuff not selling that they would have to just throw out. And remembering that these are toys, they are assuming the bags are being bought for kids - a lot of whom aren't picky about what they get, so there is a good chance they would enjoy the extra toys included.

My biggest beef with some thrift stores - the ones that douse the store and every single item in a bottle's worth of Fabreeze. Seriously, it is so strong it makes me not able to be in those stores for long, and this I'm less likely to buy anything. Plus it makes me suspicious of what they are trying to cover up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Lon-san

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:25 AM »
I was once told by a cashier that a doll was a vintage doll from the 60's.

It was BELLE from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.
That movie that came out in 1991.
Yeah, Mattel used bodies like that for a while.

I got a $4 bag that had pee-scented liquid inside once. Discovered it when I was a couple towns away.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:36 AM »
There's one charity shop near me that always charges through the nose. Like selling paperback books for £1.99 when nearly every other shop I've been in will price them between about 25pence-1.00gpb

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
I always accepted that thrift stores that pre-bag the toys are trying to ensure everything has a chance at being bought. Yes, it sucks to get something you don't care about in the bag, but the cost of that bag for the pony is still cheaper than the shipping alone would be if you bought it on Ebay. Otherwise the stores would end up with a lot of stuff not selling that they would have to just throw out. And remembering that these are toys, they are assuming the bags are being bought for kids - a lot of whom aren't picky about what they get, so there is a good chance they would enjoy the extra toys included.

This would work if it were just toys but ours bags CERAMICS! Everything in the  bag ends up broken!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Skitterbug

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »

This would work if it were just toys but ours bags CERAMICS! Everything in the  bag ends up broken!

That just seems silly - can't sell broken things! :/ from a profit point of view it's plain stupid, they're just losing money.

When I go to value village, there's often things I want in baggies, so I buy it, open on the way out and take what I wanted, then put the rest of the stuff in the donation bins they have near the entrance.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »

Yeah if there was something extra special and rare like vintage LPS or a G1 pony then I guess $3 is a great deal but not so much for G3 ponies or G2 LPS especially when I could get a huge G3 pony or G2 LPS lot for about 50 cents an item. I feel really bad about leaving them behind cause of how some kids treat toys. Like my little sister who thought her ponies and LPS were bath toys.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
I think every thrift shop is different. But I`ve noticed that at least in the Niagara region and now Windsor area, that thrift shops are way over priced on a lot of stuff. I`ve gone into a thrift shop and seen dvd for $3, you can buy them brand new at Giant Tiger for that price.

The one thrift shop down the road has regular garbage clothes on the mainfloor for $4-$6 a piece and upstairs is where all the name brand stuff is. Some of it priced at almost the same price as the store it initially was purchased from. Everyone knows that Aeropostale does $5 t-shirt sales constantly. I`ve seen Aero shirts priced at $8-$10 each in thrift shops.

I don't know about you guys, and if this happens where you live. But have you seen thrift shops that sell free samples? We see it all the time, the free samples that p&g send out will be packaged up in a bag for $5 (shampoo/conditioner packets, hotel bar soap and a sample sized toothpaste). I don't know, to me it's just wrong.

And the furniture prices are through the roof especially at salvation army stores.

And let me tell you that my husband and I had a loveseat that we didn't want anymore because we got a couch so we had a little more space to snuggle and we called charity shops to pick it up, it was in excellent condition. They came and looked at it and said the arms weren't cushy enough and left it behind.

My husband had a few choice words for them. Not everyone that uses a thrift store is down on their luck, however some stores will give items for free if they are needed. I'm pretty sure a family with nothing would've been grateful to have that loveseat.
We go into the same store 3 days later and there is a couch set that has no cushion left anywhere (arms, back, seat) and they want $300 for it. You've got to be kidding me.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
I dislike how things, mainly cloths, has come up in retailprice. Everything is second hand, how come they cost as much as in a regular store?

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
They have to pay their corporate CEO's somehow.  Yeah, you're donating your goods to pay their salaries, not do any real good anymore, unfortunately.  :/

I also have problems with salvation army's stance on 'the gay plague,' and I sometimes feel rather wrong for being there.  I just wish charity shops didn't go hand in hand with religion.  Guh.  There's my pet peeve.  The obnoxious Christian music at a blaring volume with some dimestore cowboy yoddling his heart out for Jesus.  I mean, I'm totes okay with ya'll be Christian, but listening to a man croon his heart out to another man. . .well. . .that's totally heterosexual.  XD

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
They have to pay their corporate CEO's somehow.  Yeah, you're donating your goods to pay their salaries, not do any real good anymore, unfortunately.  :/

I also have problems with salvation army's stance on 'the gay plague,' and I sometimes feel rather wrong for being there.  I just wish charity shops didn't go hand in hand with religion.  Guh.  There's my pet peeve.  The obnoxious Christian music at a blaring volume with some dimestore cowboy yoddling his heart out for Jesus.  I mean, I'm totes okay with ya'll be Christian, but listening to a man croon his heart out to another man. . .well. . .that's totally heterosexual.  XD

LOL, picturing it in my head. Too funny

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
My peeve is that there are no ponies in any of the charity shops here =/ My town has a good 5-10 (because exactly what a tiny town needs is nearly 50% of its shops to be charity shops) and I've been in fairly often and nope, never any ponies =/ There are two I've avoided due to reasons but it's really depressing. I wanted to try and find some G1s or G2s to branch out from G4 but nada :( I'll try car boot sales once the sun eases off a bit....
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
There is a thrift store near me that has the neatest bags of toys the only problem is they are full of live bugs.  From what I can tell it looks to be mostly roaches.  I can't even shop in there anymore it grosses me out so much.  I have even seen water at the bottom of the bags. My guess is a toy was full of bathtub water and leaked out in the bag.  Its just filthy, germy, disgusting ooze.  Sadly, this is the store I find the best G1's at.  I have even found Sundae Best barrettes in bags there.  Lately though the whole bug thing is just tooo much for me.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal