collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Painters Here?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Any Painters Here?
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:12:28 AM »
I've only painted a few pictures myself, but I was wondering what mediums you guys use and how you go about painting :) I always have to draw the picture first, I just can't paint it, I need an outline! And canvas is hard to draw on :blink: I use acrylics, though I think I've used water colors before. I was thinking maybe having another go at it :) My mom thinks it would be a nice Christmas present if I painted a picture of our chihuahuas for my sister ^.^

I'd love to see your guys' paintings to get inspired and any tips you might have :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Any Painters Here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:54:33 AM »
I don't have any pictures to show sadly of canvas type paintings I have done, but before I started customizing ponies and using them as a canvas I painted on actual canvases. I haven't worked with oil paints since I was a pre-teen (I took private art training much of my childhood), but I do have extensive experience with acrylics on canvas. Buy the best brushes and paints you can afford, they can really make a difference. I have found the higher quality paints tend to have better pigmentation so they apply smoother and take less paint to get the job done. If you find the paints are drying too quickly and it is frustrating you there is a medium you can buy to mix with the paint to make it dry slower. As far as drawing on the canvas, I tend to also like to have an outline to go from and yes can vas is hard to draw on. What I would suggest and what I tend to do is draw my outlines on paper than transfer to the canvas with graphite paper. Hope I could help a little =)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »
I am a painter :) I prefer oils and watercolours, not big on acrylics at all... gouache is also a fun medium :) I tend to draw first as well, first on paper, then loose guidelines on the canvas :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
I do, form time to time.

I love doing it digitally but it takes a lot of tie.  Otherwise, I like using oil paints, pastels or prismacolour pencil crayons :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
I just paint ponies.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
I paint quite frequently - mainly watercolor, some acrylic.  I'm more abstract, but I like to look at the subject I'm painting or have some sort of model to mimic light and colors I'm trying to achieve.

Lots of good tutorials abound on the internet for painting.  My biggest advice is to grab a canvas and play around.  Acrylic is wonderful for beginners.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
I prefer watercolors, but I've used oils and acrylics.  Normally I do sketch out my picture then transfer it onto my watercolor paper.  When I transfer I either use my lightbox or do a graphite transfer. 

Right now my current painting is a "landscape" for a friend (I use that term loosely because it's not a landscape in the traditional sense, but done from one of her favorite nature photographs she shot while on vacation), and I'm "drawing" it with my watercolors as I go.  Doing that is slightly out of my comfort zone (I did do it when I took my landscape painting class while in grad school - and we would go plein air painting all the time), but I find I'm really enjoying it!

Here's some pony examples:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:25:53 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
I use acrylics.  I don't have the patience for oils I guess.  I'm trying out watercolors, and I really like them so far.  As for outlines, I tend to draw basic outlines very lightly, but I use canvas boards.  Or walls.  Oh, and to add, my favorite things to paint aren't realistic in the least.  I like cartoons and tattoo looking art.  Skulls, faeries, and dragons seem to be way up on my list :D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:22:34 PM by Heartcease »
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »
I paint with acrylics and oils mainly.  I don't like to draw out my pictures with pencil, but I do sort of "draw" the outline shapes of my subject in paint.  Just kind of block in with paint where, say, the ears are, or the shape of the body, y'know?

If you are painting fur, start with the darkest shade as your base then work your way towards the lighter shades as you layer the paint on.  This way the dark colours don't overpower the lighter ones, but still show through, and it also helps your highlights to really pop.

Best advice I was ever given regarding painting was to paint the furthest away from you and work your way forward.  For instance, if you were painting an outdoor scene with a horse in the middle of the canvas, first paint the very distant sky, then the trees behind the horse, then the grass behind and around the horse, then the horse, then the grass in front of the horse.  I hope this makes sense!

I have an oil painting of my dog as well as a commission I did in black and white acrylics which I will upload for you to see later.  :)

Oh, and Heartcease, those paintings are wonderful!  I love that dragon.

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
Oh, and Heartcease, those paintings are wonderful!  I love that dragon.
Thank you!  The care bears are part of the murals I did for my best friend's nursery.  I promised her in 7th grade that when we grew up and had babies I'd paint her nursery for her hehe.  The dragon is part of my room back home.  I called him Silverwing. 
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! Those paintings are amazing :inlove: This gives me such inspiration! :)
My Wish List

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
I love painting... it's actually what mine and my husbands business is centred around... everything from canvas to wood to ponies to just about anything... I use acrylics, it's my fav to use, sometimes I lightly sketch out what I'm going to paint, and other times I just go for it...
here's a link to our store so you see my paintings...

http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/OwlAlwaysLoveYouBaby

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
I do acryl colors on canvas paintings from time to time.
I need a lot of time for them cuz it takes me ages till I'm happy with the result :D

Here's a WIP (sadly I started about two year ago and didn't work on it since that anymore  :blink:)
I feel kinda sorry but I have too many other things in mind & to do :D

BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »
If I am to paint on canvas, I use acrylics. But I don't usually paint on canvas, so I use watercolours for my work most of the time.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »
I mostly paint with acrylics and water colors and silk painting if they count. I did try oil painting for a while but ended up hating them  :|

Silk is my favorite medium at the moment beside painting ponies. I love how weird and unpredictable it can be. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my paintings, most are my grandma's and mother's property and I doubt I remember to take a camera with me when I visit them ^^;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal