collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony mane tips?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Kitzka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Pony mane tips?
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
Hi

I tried searching through the forum and couldn't find anything. Is there already a thread or two with tips for untangling pony manes, washing manes, etc?

I don't have any ponies with manes yet. I'm going to be getting a box from my mil with some gen 1 ponies and I'm looking to give them some tlc. Since I don't have any I can't post pics but I would like to read what tips some of you have before I get them.

I also know I am going to be getting some of the FIM ponies with hair and want to know the best way to care for them (for instance should I use a wire brush or new toothbrush on their hair vs the plastic ones that come with the ponies?)

Any tips for this mostly newbie would be great. The only ponies I have are molded.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: Pony mane tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
I know there are some tutorials floating about.  Pony hair can be very basic. I tend to take a normal Shampoo or dish soap and wash the pony hair. I do not submerge it in water. I will try a plastic comb (something from the store or even a pony comb I think works just fine) If the hair is really tangled I put in conditioner and let it set for a day or two. I then try and comb it out with the conditioner still in the pony hair. Wash it out with warm water and comb through again. Most of the time pony hair can be easily fixed and worked through. Just take your time.

Really super long and tangled hair you might leave the conditioner in longer or take sever passes at it. To me if cleaning the hair is hard and forceful you have the risk of damaging the hair. So take your time:)

I am sure there are some great tips coming through for you:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
I recommend against using plastic combs as they break easily and can create static in the hair. Instead I use a metal pet comb (obviously not one I've used on my pets!) as it's durable and helps tackle even seriously knotty hair.

I use a liquid cleaner called Cif for cleaning ponies in general as it's both antibacterial and great at cleaning away surface dirt. It will dry hair out though. So after using Cif I use conditioner in the hair, comb the hair through while the conditioner's in it and then wash the conditioner out.

Formerly known as BluePhoenix

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
If it's tangled, water and conditioner and combing it when wet (with the conditioner left in) will help. (I usually wash it with shampoo first.)  I use a plastic comb for humans. The only thing I have to say is: try to keep the water away from the base of the mane, it can cause mould if it gets stuck there. So, try to stay away from the base and dry it thoroughly with a towel. After doing this for a while, I would say, if you don't have to do anything with your ponies, don't. Cleaning their bodies with baby wipes is really good too. No risk of water getting into the pony. If the hair is soft and just needs to be styled into a regular G1 straight hairdo (eg. non curly collector's pose ponies), you can wrap the dry mane around the neck with tinfoil and let it sit for a couple of days.

Starting out I mainly used ponylandpress' styling info but I wouldn't recommend washing a pony under running water like that. But that's where I found out about wrapping paper towels around the pony's head to style the hair. http://www.ponylandpress.com/care/salon/styling.shtml  There are a couple of other guides too on the internet, of course.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The comb I use looks something like this. Finer than a pony comb. Someone said it was good to use a comb solely for ponies since the oil from human hair could get into the ponies' hair and that was not good.

Offline Kitzka

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
Thanks so much!! This is very helpful. Can't wait for my ponies to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
I agree with BlueyBirdy - you want a metal comb, the kind you pick up in a pet store is perfect. Plastic on nylon is not a good combination it will increase frizz and damage the plastic. The metal is much kinder.

Tips can depend on what you need to fix to be honest. Sometimes a pony doesn't need any more than compressed air through her hair in order to freshen it up as her hair is in original condition. And at other times they need boiling water dips and over night conditioner soaks. :)

Perhaps you could post us pictures once you get the ponies and people will be able to help you out specifically?

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »
I have never used a metal comb on my ponies   :shocked:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »
*heads to pet shop to buy party a new comb*
Loa is my love god!

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
Hathor, pick up one for me on the way :P I am another one who's only ever used plastic fine combs on my ponies... *feels bad* There are lots of good tutorials floating around the net on how to wash and untangle pony hair. just don't dunk the whole pony into water!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »
Will do Shaiyeh :P
Loa is my love god!