collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best way to sell entire MLP collection  (Read 1210 times)

suelovesmlp

• Trade Count: (0)
Best way to sell entire MLP collection
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Hey every pony! I am sadly going to be selling my whole mlp collection very soon. I told myself I would never do that unless it was an emergency and well, that time has come.
I was just wondering where the best place would be to do this. eBay? etsy? private sales? I have a fairly large collection with a good handful of rares so I just want to make sure I do it right since I will be crying as I pack each one up them up to go to their new homes.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

BigHicks1977

Re: Best way to sell entire MLP collection
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
First thing you should do is put the whole collection on craigslist and see if you have a collector that will pay you a fair price but the best way to get the most $$$$$ is ebay and break it down to small lots and single pieces but then you have to deal with buyers and that can be NO FUN good luck and sucks you have to do this at all

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »
Every time I see a large lot for sale on ebay (over 100 ponies) the price always seems to come out to only a couple of dollars per pony when the bidding ends.  I've not been able to convince my husband what a bargain it is though ;)  I think smaller batches go better.
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
I sold my collection here. About 2000 ponies. It was very time intensive, but I made good money and I didn't have as much drama as eBay. I did list some on eBay but I personally dislike eBay. :lookround: Craiglist may be vastly different in VA but here, I wouldn't sell anything there. Brings the crazies out in force! I sold my rares as singles, commons in small lots, uncommons with their sets and sold in blind groupings.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
I'd start selling some of them here, and skip the eBay fees.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Yeah Craig's list is a good idea.

as far as ebay I wouldn't make a tun of LOTS because you will loose money. It may take some work and effort but this is the only way you will get a bang for your buck.

Whats worse than selling your collection is not having the cash back in hand.
Good Luck and I am so sorry  -_-

And some people here may want to buy If you wanna sell here.. and we all know what they go for so you will get your money's worth.
:accomplished:

suelovesmlp

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »
Yeah maybe I will start listing what I have for sale here. I have a lot of price checking to do before I start to do that though. As large as my collection is, this is going to turn into a full time job until the last one is sold lol. :)Thanks everyone!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
 I would try selling them here first.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »
Try here first I would say. eBay buyers and fees really make it not worth it. Unless you're in a hurry for sales. I wouldn't touch Craigslist with a ten foot pole, but that's just me.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear it! :(

I think it depends on your preferences. Sending off individual ponies is a pain in the backside, so I think if you can get them sent off to good homes in lots, it'll be easier on you. Though I've found that you may get more if you sell them individually-- it's just more effort and it'll take more time.

I think it depends on if you need the funds right now, or if you're willing to take a little time and maybe get your money's worth out of the transaction. Craigslist is a longshot as it's pretty much local, but after that I'd consider selling through an MLP community like this one. It's a lot easier to communicate with other collectors, and they can build their own "lots" of ponies they particularly need.

Good luck!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
honestly you do not want to just sell your entire collection at once IF you also want to get top dollar - ebay is really best for the individual and rare to get the best price = although don't forget we also have a super nirvana forum and folks have gotten pretty pennies (as in well over a thousand) for OOAKs recently sold and now with an ongoing auction... so if you have rare I would say post that individually here (save yourself the evilbay fees) and give it enough time for folks from all over timelines to know about it

IF you just want to rehome them to a collector for a fair price  as a bundle than yah, craigslist and pickup may be the way to go if you have a fellow MLP lover in the area...

depending on what you have and how much you have = sorry for the circumstances = I am admittedly biased to selling and buying through here and MLPTP as there are only paypal fees and the folks are tons of nice :-) forum folk just rock

so start taking pics and cataloguing and feel free to post for PC's (price checks) if you are unsure of what to value something at...

I really hope you won't be crying too much if you realize that you can always have your pictures (like I said, take lots!!) and you can know that they will go to good homes through board sales AND depending on rarity - you can find and buy again if not OOAK...

me, I don't have my childhood toys save for a Patty o'Green doll and lone sea wee, and but I have plenty MLP now and the memories of the hunt "for my kids" future collection has been a blast to help me over the whole "for school/moving out" purge from days gone by

we're here for ya :-) and good luck

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
I know how you're feeling!

I've gone through a bit of a hybrid system, I started on Craigslist and sold about a sixth of what I wanted to liquidate.  She bought all my sale babies and my wingers and my FS AJ ( one of my few G4's!) and now I'm working on selling here.  Now, if only I could get some internet.  I moved in April and I hadn't wanted to sell until I was in a new space, as I was crowded into a single bedroom but now I have almost an entire appt!  ( I have a roommate, but so much room again! ) But getting internet in this place has been the one big downfall!   

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
Aww - I'm sorry you have to do that  :hug:

You have been getting some good advice to both how to go about selling them, and where to sell them I think. Before I give you any advice though it might be a good thing to know a little bit about your goal in selling them though.

Do you need a quick sale or is it more important to get the best price? How much time are you willing to use on selling? How large is your collection?

These things always matter to me when I am selling at least, and I usually find the best way of selling by answering these questions.

Good luck! ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
Sorry to hear bout you letting go of your collection.  I tried selling a chunk of my g4 and only got 100$ for some very hard to find, and rare pieces... Made me sorta sick... I'd say you'd be better off here rather than eBay.

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Craigslist is a good start. Or if you have a local fleamarket and can rent a space, that works too. If not, sell on here! The lots suggestion is good, because you can sell more faster. The rares will be easy to sell. I'd group together the more common ponies (Collector's pose; rainbow ponies; etc).

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal