collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I Thought I'd Never Like...  (Read 929 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I Thought I'd Never Like...
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »
I'
Now squid at most sushi places, like I should be using it for bait (I fish). Not the taste per say but the texture is what gets me.
I was open-minded enough to try squid on a few occassions and I cannot do it. To me it's like a chewy fishy flavored rubber band.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Before I became a vegetarian I actually loved squid. :frolic: Couldn't do it when the head was still attached though. As for octopus, it has to be done reeeeally well. When I visited Japan I tried some octopus sushi... couldn't do it. Too much of the rubber band type of feel that DazzleKitty described. Later I tried this thing called takoyaki- literally "octopus grill." They basically make these doughy hushpuppy-like balls and put a piece of octopus meat in it and sell it as street food. I was in love. I was the only one in our group who not only was willing to try it, but actually made a point to grab some every chance I got!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
Mushrooms.

I vomited once when I ate them back in the days. Then I met my boyfriend and he promised he would make me eat loads of things I swore never to eat.

Mushrooms are only one of those things, really. I actually eat salad nowadays and a lot of other veggies in various dishes, when I wouldn't do it before. I enjoy some types of cheese now, too, when I actually hated cheese. So yes, I could go on and on on this LOL

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Once at my old job, we were serving food and I was trying some of the veggies. I thought they were pretty good.

Only to find out, there was like three inches of butter on the bottom of the veggies. Melted. Was kinda grossed out after that.

I use to LOVE butter, it was at the point where my mom would joke "Do you want some pancakes with your butter?"
But now, I'm much more healthy about it. I rarely use it and if I do, it's sparingly.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

YellowCat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
Eels and squid, at first they sounded disgusting but after eating them I love them.  I wish both were easier to get around here.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
Garlic Bread!  I was like garlic???  Ewww yuck.  And then one day I tried it...  :P  Lol, now I wish I never had because it is so fattening but I just love it!!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
Chewing on that squid was like trying to eat a huge pink school eraser.
When I was around 11/12 years old, the last morning of a camp trip was "clean out the fridge". One of the families would always have an RV, so we'd have access to a stove and indoor sleeping (if the weather got bad). Anyways, breakfast that morning was a giant hash of fried potatoes, eggs, cheese, onions,green peppers etc. It looked nasty and initially I balked at it. Once I got over the looks, my stomach won me over. With a hefty dose of Tapito, it was excellent. I still make a version of it at home, also good when making food items stretch.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »
I'm afraid I'll try almost everything once. . . 

Working at a Japanese restaurant meant I got to try all sorts of offal.  ( The owners were Chinese, and I mean no insult by the difference in what's edible per culture ) I had some part of a pig that tasted more like seafood and looked like it, I've had chicken feet ( yes, chicken feet, the actual feet and toes, and it was okay but the cook used way too much fennel.  It wasn't the actual meat that bothered me ), pork belly, oxtail. . .  I can't remember what else.

I regularly cook lamb neck on my own, it's super tasty and a very cheap cut of lamb. 

Chicken livers fried in whatever gf flour I have about and dunked in hot sauce is divine. 

Goat cheese stuffed peppers with bacon and spinach. . .  Another fave.

I once combined sangria, orange juice, a can of coconut milk, and chicken stock over some beef back ribs.  Divinity.  Mixed some cornstarch in the cooking liquid for a divine gravy. 

As for things I thought I would never like?  Peppers, definitely.  Peppers I hated for the very longest, something about the texture, but my best friend basically forced me to like them and now I love them.

I will, however, refuse onions but for green onions, and before my gf intolerance, I enjoyed onion rings.  But I abhor them in general, even more so now, as I stayed in the UK for three months, and two of those were spent under the thumb of my then-girlfriend-now-bestfriend's mother and she cooked onions on everything and she's a horrible cook and everything she cooked was horrible and topped with a pound of onions, so I am well and hateful of them.

That and garlic.  As much of a cook as I am, I refuse to cook with the substance because I never can cook the vile taste of it out of things properly, even though I know how essential of a cooking ingredient it is.  So I use sriacha.  Which has garlic in it.  Which has already been cooked down once.  So, cooking the sriacha cooks it again.  Then it's tasty.  Ta da. 

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
I am not a fan of food on the whole, as some people on here may be aware.. XD

However, two discoveries: cinnamon and cottage cheese! I used to really dislike even the scent of cinnamon when I was younger, but now I find it kinda comforting.. and cottage cheese, well it always sounded so.. gross? and I'm funny with textures.. but it's the only 'cheese' sort of product which doesn't terrify me! (the low fat stuff is fairly tasteless, and it's bearable..)
Fight like a girl..

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:48 AM »
I had Greek yogurt for the first time yesterday.

What's the difference between Greek and regular yogurt?  I couldn't taste any, but I always swore I wouldn't eat Greek yogurt. Haha.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
Greek yogurt is strained of a lot of water and liquid to make it thicker than normal yogurt.  Which makes it great to be used as a base for dip, though I'm a sucker for making just up and traditional tzasiki with it.  Yummmm. 

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 06:49:41 AM »
Cooked cheese. I don't like it with most things, but my mum taught me how to make pizza, and now the only way I'll eat cooked cheese is if I make some pizza with a little bit on.
Also, mushroom. Like cooked cheese, I hate it on its own or with a lot of things. But in certain brands of noodles (Sainsbury's own) it taste so good. I used to like mushrooms, then I didn't, then I did, and so on and on.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »
Well, I guess that goes for all alcoholic drinks. Never imagined drinking alcohol when I was a kid - and actually like it! Needless to say, I do now.

I'm not very fuzzy about food. Don't think there is anything foodlike I really don't like. There are things I like less, but that doesn't really count I think...
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal