collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony hunting in Sweden?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Pony hunting in Sweden?
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »
I'm hoping some Swedish collectors can help me out here: Are there thrift shops, fleamarkets, or other places in Sweden where you can possibly find G1s? There don't seem to be second hand stores everywhere here like we had in the US (recently moved here from Florida). My husband and mother-in-law don't seem to think these stores exist here (but maybe they don't understand what I'm asking for?). But if there are no thrift stores...what does everyone do with their old junk/toys/etc?

I am near Stockholm, if anyone knows of any places I can check out for ponies. Thanks for any help! ^-^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
Re: Pony hunting in Sweden?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
I'm hoping some Swedish collectors can help me out here: Are there thrift shops, fleamarkets, or other places in Sweden where you can possibly find G1s? There don't seem to be second hand stores everywhere here like we had in the US (recently moved here from Florida). My husband and mother-in-law don't seem to think these stores exist here (but maybe they don't understand what I'm asking for?). But if there are no thrift stores...what does everyone do with their old junk/toys/etc?

I am near Stockholm, if anyone knows of any places I can check out for ponies. Thanks for any help! ^-^

As far as I know thrift shops are very few and far between, I dont know of any myself. I suppose Myrorna could be counted but I never been to those.
I could recommend a market called Bakluckan but they are my hunting grounds and they are only active during summer weekends.

Mostly people either send their old stuff to auctions or donations or something like that but toys are most often thrown into the garbage....its really sad T.T
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:25:37 AM by Sakuyamon »

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:12 AM »
I thought there are quite a few flea markets in Sweden though? (loppis, right? XD Im so bad at swedish..) My friend just visited Sweden and told me she took a whole day to go from flea market to another.

Offline Sakuyamon

• artist for hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:03 AM »
Yea there are a few fleamarkets, but most are not that good...a lot just sell stuff like crafts, candlesticks, clothes and old dvds. Believe me, Im love going on fleamarkets but I never have any luck at those sort of places. Sometimes one can find fakies at traveling markets but its often the misshaped ponies....I have kept an iron eye out for fake G4 but nada.

People here often have a tendancy to just put everything in storage...I have met a few people who says they should have ponies stored in sheds or attics  but they arent willing to look them up for me, mostly because they are stuck under a ton of other things >_<
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:48:27 AM by Sakuyamon »

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:53:18 AM »
I would like to know this too. :|  I have seen a few fakies and a cabbage patch pony at Helping Hand in Uppsala, That's a second hand shop owned by a free church. I asked at an antique shop once and he said that they sometimes have ponies, though I have never seen any there. I've never seen any at Myrorna. Think we call thrift shops second hand shops "in Swedish" (except for the word shop then), in case you want to google. And I'm sure you already know about our auction site tradera.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:57:28 AM by balletpot »

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:56:57 AM »
I think there are more pony hunters in Sweden than there are flea markets... :(

It does happen occasionally that people report amazing pony finds. But the more typical outcome is you arrive to the fleamarket or thrift shop (it might even be a toy themed flea market) and all there is is a couple of fakies and mc donalds ponies. Possibly a few manky super frizzy commons like Posey and Lickety Split with hair faded to white.

I know of at least two 'pro' flea market persons who actively hunt for ponies although they are not collectors. Just to resell or list the ponies on tradera for profit.
One of them told me that she (and others like her) usually set up tables themselves on the flea market, not really because the want to sell stuff but because it's a way to get in there before everyone else. So they can pick out the good stuff from others tables before the market even opens. So when the doors open for you and me, the good stuff is gone. :(

So the outlook is kind of pessimistic... :( but like I said, amazing finds do happen after all.

edit to add: this was in Södertälje and Eskilstuna areas.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:01:05 AM by tootie_tails »
-

Offline Trish

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:52 AM »
Others have already posted most tips I had to give you, but also keep in mind Sweden is so much smaller than the US and not even our capitol city Stockholm is much bigger than maybe a middle sized US city. We're tiny :P Don't get me started on Norway. They're even tinier!

Wantlist | Swaplist (OLD!) | My trades/sales (OLD!)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:14:13 AM »
Wow, ok! Lots of good information here, thanks so much everyone! Kind of a little sad that pony hunting is so much more difficult here, but even in the US it was extremely rare to find G1s anywhere these days.

So basically...I need to make some friends and check out their attics? ;)

Offline Sakuyamon

• artist for hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
Wow, ok! Lots of good information here, thanks so much everyone! Kind of a little sad that pony hunting is so much more difficult here, but even in the US it was extremely rare to find G1s anywhere these days.

That is one way of doing it...

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »
Others have already posted most tips I had to give you, but also keep in mind Sweden is so much smaller than the US and not even our capitol city Stockholm is much bigger than maybe a middle sized US city. We're tiny :P Don't get me started on Norway. They're even tinier!

Hahaha :rofl:, that made me laugh out load! And it is so true... we're soo tiny! But we (Norway) make up for it in flea markets I guess! Flea markets in Norway are very common during the spring and autumn weekends - all the elementary schools have them and the income usually goes to the school's marching band (almost all the elementary schools over here have their own marching band because of the celebration we have on the 17th of May - Norway's Independence Day). It's the kids themselves and their parents that are responsible for the flea markets - it is huuuge here in Norway. Lots of wonderful hunting ground if you like "thrifting" (is that a word?).

Don't you have anything similar in Sweden? I thought "loppis" was quite big with you guys? Even more so than in Norway? I rarely see any G1s though, but a lot of G3s! 

No, you need to come over to Norway of course :angel: It is juuuust over the border!  :whistle:

EDIT: Oh, I realized that it sounds like I meant that you should not make friends - but OF COURSE you should do that too! Maybe some Norwegian friends too :lookround:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:12:51 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
Yes, come over the border, we've got many flea markets and second hand shops! Just in my near area there are two thrift shops. And we have loads of flea markets in the spring and autumn. (We're so big on flea markets we've even got a website where you can find lists of upcoming flea markets in your area)
I don't collect G1's but I have spotted a few over the last year; I remember an Applejack and a green/white-haired TAF pegasus with sea-themed symbols whom I do not know the name of. Oh, and a winger too, but she went home with me 'cause she was so cute :)
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
Övik has one called Second Hand X D But never found a pony there the times I was there and when they looked at places like that, couldn't find any for me.

I know the attic story too! That's where I'm told my gf's ponies are, but that it's hard to get into it D =

Tradera makes me cry when I look at it....had to stop XD

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
Stockholm has a lot of flea markets, "loppisar", especially in the summer. There is a big flea market in Vårberg, south of Stockholm, it's open at least every weekend. Just keep looking for signs and you will probably find more.

You can also check out this page: svenskaloppisar.se. It's on Swedish but maybe your
hubby can help you out. And then we have the thrift stores; Myrorna, Emmaus and Bikupan. To be honest, I haven't done so many pony findings, but some g2:s and g3:s and I have heard of people who have found g1:s too.

Kind regards the queen of flea markets in Sweden  ;)

Offline Trish

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »
I found this search site: http://www.svenskaloppisar.se/sok.asp?lan=1

Datum= date, weekends are usually a good bet there's usually lots of flea markets arranged then :)

Wantlist | Swaplist (OLD!) | My trades/sales (OLD!)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
Wow, wish I were closer to Norway! lol! ;)

Thanks for the loppisar link, guys! I am still learning Swedish, but my husband can help me with the site. 

There is a "Second Hand" on our way to Stockholm, so I'm hoping we can at least check that out next time we pass it. It's hard not having my own car.

Thanks again for all the great info, everyone! This was extremely helpful! ^-^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal