collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Other gens question  (Read 611 times)

Offline RainbowAlicorn999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Other gens question
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
I know lots of people on here love g1s and the others so why did hasbro stop making them? They still can use the molds and make new characters out of them.

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Other gens question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:54:51 AM »
Apparently they melt old molds down and make molds for new toys to conserve resources. When they made the collector sets for the whatever anniversary, they had to use old ponies to create new molds.

Also, there may not be enough of a market for new G1 ponies.

Also, Hasbro is run by THE MAN! And he hates women and wants to keep you all down. As a man, I am officially wiki-leaking this information to you. We are trying to hold you back and ruin your lives. It wouldn't be such a problem, but sometimes men like me collect ponies too, and we get caught in the cross-fire. That's the real tragedy!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:55:26 AM »
Many if not all of the molds were sold if I remember correctly. They stopped making them due to poor sales.  ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wishing Well

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
Because tastes change.

Yes, many people look onto Gen 1 with a fondness that they had in childhood. Or like Gen 1's unique/retro look (Myself. I born when they stopped making G1's yet I have started my own small collection). Yet at the time they they stopped making G1's, they were probably out of demand due to a mix of over-saturation, changing tastes and poor sales.

G2 was supposed to bring back interest in MLP. G3 and G4 most defiantly reboost interest in the franchise.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:08:41 AM by Wishing Well »

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
I am a forever G1 MLP lover. I adore these ponies because they do remind me of my childhood. I absolutely cannot stand the G2 & G4 ponies. I was channel surfing the other day and I just could not stand watching the G4 MLP show...absolutely horrible. I really hope that by the time my little girl (hopefully I'll have at LEAST one girl someday) comes along that MLP will be revamped back into something better - along the lines of G1 style please!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:48:21 AM by BrittzMylilPony »

Shining_Lyris

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
Well, as a child of the early 80's I can tell you that by the time the early 90's came about we had started to grow up. Many of my friends decided they were "too old" for their "baby" toys. Sales inevitably dropped off and Hasbro had to adapt to a changing market.
Usually toy companies sell their old molds to China or melt them down to make new molds. Hasbro actually can't just start making new ones, they'd have to use actual finished pony toys to make new molds from, and those molds would be slightly smaller than the originals. (This is why mold snatching fakies are just slightly smaller than their original counterparts.)
So, in order to make new G1's they would have to actually recreate the G1 sculpt models. So, as far as they're concerned if they're going to put that much effort into it they probably want to make a new line to appeal to the "modern" child.
As for me, personally, I do wish they would... However I enjoy all generations of ponies, and I'm glad I never outgrew my "baby" toys. My daughter and I now have many all gen ponies in our herd.  :biggrin:

Hexi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »
it'd be kinda cool for hasbro to bring out a 30th anniversary set of G1s but like everyone said, all the molds are likely gone now.

many G1 collectors do so because they have fond memories of their ponies. if hasbro were continuing to make G1 style ponies, the wouldn't be unique or special anymore and have much less sentimental value.

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
it'd be kinda cool for hasbro to bring out a 30th anniversary set of G1s but like everyone said, all the molds are likely gone now.

many G1 collectors do so because they have fond memories of their ponies. if hasbro were continuing to make G1 style ponies, the wouldn't be unique or special anymore and have much less sentimental value.

I agree on the sentimental value part. However, it would be really cool if they did make a 30th anniversary set of G1s! Love that idea!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

Over the years there have been a lot of toys that were popular (not just MLP and or Hasbro toys) that we might ask Why the company doesn't bring them back and resell them again. There have been a few I've seen that does make it, like Strawberry shortcake but there have been others that also failed to establish themselves with the new generation of kids.

And we are talking toys here; as much as a lot of us are adults this is a toy line for children.

For example: Why doesn't Mattel bring back My Child dolls? I know a lot of people don't know or will not remember my child doll but MC dolls were made by mattel and were kind of like cabbage patch kids, except they were way better made and way more detailed.

My Child dolls only ran for a couple years here in the USA, yet they are more popular now as far as cash value goes than they were back in the 80's and way harder to find than cabbage patch kids.

So why wouldn't mattel try to tap into that larger cash market? The reason is because the market is made up of a smaller number of individuals who are actual 'collectors' of the toy.

Back to ponies, Every little girl or boy who loved G1 MLP as a child and was buying the toys and helped the MLP toy line last for 10 years are now adults and are not always going to become 'collectors' and go out and buy ponies.

It is no different from the G4 line. Is ever little kid that ends up with a bunch of MLP stuff going to want it when they are 16 or when they are  20-30? A child is not always going to become a collector and keep and want ponies for, forever.

And not everyone that is into MLP now will be into MLP in 5 years, or 10 years or 20 years.

I think it's something a lot of G4 fans should think about as well, will the little kids still want MLP in 5 years? (I'm not talking about the adults) If children loose interest in the brand or do not purchase the brand and choose something else how long will G4 last?

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
You make some really good points KarentheUnicorn!  Ponies are very personal and special for a lot of us, so we tend to forget that for Hasbro it is a business and about money.  I'm sure as long as they see good profits they will continue to make ponies, but when things decline they will probably look at another reboot or move on to the "next big thing". 

Unfortunately over the course of my life I've seen G1's discontinued, G2's introduced and then discontinued, continuing on until our current point.  And I don't really have any illusions about ponies being "special" to Hasbro, or that magically they're immune to market demands either.  But I think in a way that makes them more special.  I know they won't be around forever, so I do my best to enjoy what exists now, and treasure the other ponies in my herd as well.  And hopefully all of you do too!  :)

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
I think it's because the times change and such,for example the current G4's are a lot smaller probably to save money (them saving money I mean,they are still pretty pricey for us sometimes :P) and they have the anime style expressions. If the MLP's in the 80's were styled like the G4's I doubt they would be as popular as it just wasn't the style back then. Poor sales can also be a part in it,I don't think G3's were that successful after the Bore 7 was introduced,thus they moved onto G3.5 which I also don't think sold too well,to G4's which have become...quite popular  ;)
I hope this makes sense,I have trouble putting things into words sometimes :P

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
Also, Hasbro is run by THE MAN! And he hates women and wants to keep you all down. As a man, I am officially wiki-leaking this information to you. We are trying to hold you back and ruin your lives. It wouldn't be such a problem, but sometimes men like me collect ponies too, and we get caught in the cross-fire. That's the real tragedy!

Can confirm this, I'm an undercover agent.

In all seriousness, times are always changing and companies have to move with them. Maybe Hasbro 's marketing gurus thought the line was getting stale, or maybe G1s just weren't selling as much as kids got older and moved on to other things, like arcades or those ridiculous teen magazines. G2 was sort of an attempt to revive the line, and G3 was more successful, so it's clear that Hasbro didn't really intend to end MLP forever. In all likeliness they were looking for a way to keep up with the new tastes and trends emerging among 90s and 2000s kids, the way G4 does now with its stylized, more cartoonish look. That's my theory anyway.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
Yeah, styles just change.  Barbie had evolved over time too.  In the 80's she had big hair and lots of makeup.  The really old ones have eyes that look to the side.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
I agree with others.  Tastes change over time.  As much as we as collectors cherish  the look of G1, children , en masse, are going to always want the newest, shiniest thing.  If the 25th Anniversary repos had sold well, I am sure that we would have seen more.  However, they didn't look like what kids were use to seeing so they didn't sell.  And in regards to collectors, they were not popular because a) many collectors didn't like the quality and b) they really were repros of existing G1 characters in the exact same poses as the original and c) they were common ponies that most collectors already had in their collections.

I strongly believe that had Hasbro chosen to make those same characters in alternate poses, they would have been way more popular with collectors because then the would have been different enough from the originals. 

In the end, since the repros didn't do well the first time, I think that Hasbro will probably never try doing that again.  At this point the closest we are likely to get is G1 characters in the most current mold.  That would probably sell better since they will appeal to children more and collectors also since it would be like a new pony.

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
Also, Hasbro is run by THE MAN! And he hates women and wants to keep you all down. As a man, I am officially wiki-leaking this information to you. We are trying to hold you back and ruin your lives. It wouldn't be such a problem, but sometimes men like me collect ponies too, and we get caught in the cross-fire. That's the real tragedy
!

:happy: Funny! The man is always trying to keep us down!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal