collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 Rainbow Dash???  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Primrose

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
G2 Rainbow Dash???
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
I was curious when a friend of a close friend mentioned she had a g2 Rainbow Dash. Now, I think they’re adorable and do plan on collecting them, but I don’t know my g2’s as well as I should, so I was thinking maybe she meant a predecessor to Rainbow Dash. I do know that g2's were only released here for a year in 1997, but I had a friend who had a magic motion Ivy (I coveted that pony :rolleyes:), so I was excited to see this g2.

I asked for a time frame and she said “late 80’s, early 90’s”, which immediately threw up a red flag. I should have just asked her to flip the pony over and look for a date on a hoof, but I went by the date and asked if it was maybe Firefly? She showed me a picture of a second release (kimono pose) g3 Rainbow Dash. I mentioned that it was a g3 and told her when they came out, (also mentioned that there should be a date on the hoof, but there’s no way to know if she even checked, because this all happened over facebook), but she kept insisting that she had this pony before 1999.

My question is: is it possible that she could have owned that pony before ‘99? I’m dubious.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G2 Rainbow Dash???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
it's not really possible. If it is a G3, they started coming out in 2000s (2003 if I remember correctly), so your friend must be mistaken :)
It will be easy for her to realise that when she looks at the hoof as the hoof tells us when that mould was issued.

also, there is no G2 Rainbow Dash ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Primrose

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
Thanks for confirming my suspicion! :) It was bugging me.

I already asked her to check the date on the hoof, but I think she wants to believe she owned that pony before '99.   :nuts:

Next time when someone says something odd like "I have a g2 rainbow dash", I think I won't say anything  :doh:

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
My friend who is doing a PhD in Psychology did a research paper on false memories :) Pretty sure that's what's going on here. Good thing is, there is really no speculation here, it's all just a matter of fact. Not that some people aren't good at ignoring facts though :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
Yeah there's definitely no G2 Rainbow Dash. :)

My friend who is doing a PhD in Psychology did a research paper on false memories :) Pretty sure that's what's going on here. Good thing is, there is really no speculation here, it's all just a matter of fact. Not that some people aren't good at ignoring facts though :P

WOw I bet that was an interesting read! :) ( and a phd in psychology...very impressive! )
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

girlyponce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
She may think G3=G2 and G3.5=G3 :)

I didn't even realize G2s existed for a long, long time. Hahaha.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

This is possible! Sometimes non collectors rename things to their own satisfaction.

And I agree no G2 RD and if its G3 RD then she could not have owned it pre 2003.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Primrose

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

I agree with partypony, that sounds like it would be a very interesting paper! This makes me think of another example: how my boyfriend doesn't remember where we met. He thinks he does, but he's wrong  :P I think you pretty much nailed it with the last sentance.

I wondered about that...maybe, because she said that she did not like FIM, and I'm sure she is not a pony enthusiast, so it could be that she does have her generations mixed up. My issue was her complete confidence that she had that g3 RD since before '99.

This is possible! Sometimes non collectors rename things to their own satisfaction.

And I agree no G2 RD and if its G3 RD then she could not have owned it pre 2003.

Good to have this confirmed again :) I'm glad to know that I had my facts right.

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Somebody go make a custom G2 Rainbow Dash NOW!!!

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
I agree that her work was really fun. I was there when she defended it and it was awesome :)
Primrose, that is so funny about your boyfriend! Actually ,my husband and I have a few of those too, most contentious being: whether we watched Brokeback Mountain together. I am SO sure we did, I even know when and where, I "remember" it so clearly, but he insists that we never watched it together and that he's only ever seen it once, on his own! We had quite a few "arguments" over this because we are both so sure about it :D

So funny how the brain works, and my friend's work definitely helped me realise that our memories, no matter how sure we are in them, are not to be trusted 100% :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
Pics of said pony or it doesn't exist.  :-p  I imagine she has her generations mixed up - G2 did not last very long in the States and it didn't have great distribution, so many new fans think of G3 as G2.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

^^^ this!

Or maybe there's a G2 with a rainbow cutie mark?  (I don't know them well enough myself)

"Lady Rainbow"!!?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:40:58 PM by gabumon »

Offline Primrose

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
Vintergatan, that's hilarious.  :rofl: We've "argued" over where we met, and even gone so far as to ask the woman who was there at the time. Unfortunately, she won't pick a side  :P . I'm glad it's not just us!

"If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory. There seems something more speakingly incomprehensible in the powers, the failures, the inequalities of memory, than in any other of our intelligences. The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control! We are, to be sure, a miracle every way; but our powers of recollecting and of forgetting do seem peculiarly past finding out." --Jane Austen

I love the idea of a custom g2 Rainbow Dash! Lady Rainbow is cute, too, though :D

Okay, here's the picture...

She might have had her generations mixed up, but she was also claiming that she had this pony before the year 1999. I think this is the 2nd release Rainbow Dash, so this pony wasn't even  released untill 2003, maybe 2004. I couldn't get this person to give me the date on the bottom of the hoof, she was just insisting that she had this pony earlier than 1999, which we all agree is impossible  XD

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »

^^^ this!

Or maybe there's a G2 with a rainbow cutie mark?  (I don't know them well enough myself)

"Lady Rainbow"!!?

I too would enjoy this product and/or service.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal