collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So happy beheading new ponies for cleaning, until...  (Read 608 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
So happy beheading new ponies for cleaning, until...
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
I have bought quite a few grubby looking ponies lately most with only one minor or no permanent flaws so I've really been looking forward to cleaning them! I was having a great time until I noticed that baby Rainribbon had glue residue around her neck and her head was an absolute pain in the neck to get off.  I think someone has already removed her head then stuck it back on with a stronger glue?!! Weirdly, when I finally got it off I noticed that the tail washer was still intact, rusty and nearly bent double! I whipped it out and replaced with cable tie. I have previously had no problems getting heads off with neck plug intact so this one has upset me because it's the first one I've damaged. I tore the neck plug inside about 1/3 of the way around. At some point someone has damaged the neck seal on my Bubbles in this way and when I noticed I was pretty upset because I paid nearly £20 for her thinkign she was NM..

Sooo...

Has anyone else come across sellers sticking heads back on? Why would they do it?
II'd love to know what everyone else thinks. Does anyone only collect ponies if neck is still factory sealed?

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Re: So happy beheading new ponies for cleaning, until...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
Well, I personally don't mind at all if a pony's head has been taken off before. Makes it easier to be sure it's clean inside (and also saves me the trouble of taking it off if need be). Now, I don't take off everyone's head, just the ones with obvious tail rust and other grossness going on inside. Of course it'd be better if everyone's heads were still factory sealed, but since the G1's are 30 years old now, it's kind of a necessary evil to keep them from deteriorating further. But that's just me, of course. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Many Hasbro factory ponies had glued-on heads.  The glue breaks down on many of them but some are just very stubborn.  I would suspect this is your case, as the Rainbow Babies did have glued-on heads as a set.  Especially with the tail washer being rusty - that's something that 99% of collectors would fix/replace.  Sometimes the washers get bent at the factory, sometimes it's pressure from the brushing of a previous owner. 

Also, many people don't like that the heads can turn once you remove them the first time.  So they glue them back on. 

I personally HATE this and would never do it, but there you go.  :(  Sorry to hear about the neck plug, mine have a few like that.  It doesn't show on display, or I hide it with hair. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:43:38 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
Thanks so much ladies!

I think I'd like to try to make the neck plug more secure again with some glue, try to glue up the crack where the vinyl split before I put the head back on, what do you think?

I'm worried that the next person to take the head off (probably me having forgotten) might think, "oh great, the head is loose" and try to just pop it straight off but end up splitting the neck plug even more.

If anyone has any thoughts or glue suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

Feeling happy again now  :biggrin:

p.s. Wave Runner's head just came off fine and she's making a great recovery
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
Do you have any pictures of the area you are referring to with the damage? People will probably be able to help you out more if they can visualise things a little. :)

And I agree with LBS that if the pony had tail rust then the stubborn glue was probably factory original - unfortunately sometimes whether by nature or break down it can be very strong.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal