collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else get like this with foods? Weird and kinda gross I guess?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Well, I just ate a large chunk of cheesecake, and noticed that I got my weird "gag" problem from eating it.
 For some reason, anytime I eat anything with a "mushy" texture, I get this extreme gag feeling, or nausea.

It happens with pudding, applesauce, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, softer cheeses, bananas, yogurt, peanut butter...etc.

(Peanut Butter I also just happen to not like for some reason, even though I like peanuts. Hm.)

I've never been able to pinpoint the reason it happens, except that I notice it makes me feel like I've got phlegm in the back of my throat that I've got to cough up. I did have a really bad case of the flu when I was around 10 or so, and I'm wondering if maybe the horrible gaggy phlegm feeling from back then caused me to build up some kind of gag response to that feeling now.

Weird topic I know, but I'm curious if other people get like this!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Not that I'm aware of. Does taking smaller bites help?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melipuffles

• View Profile
Not that I'm aware of. Does taking smaller bites help?

Occasionally, but right now even though I've finished eating it I still feel somewhat odd. I try not to take large bites very often, and sometimes that helps, but more often than not I still find I get the weird sensation.

I'm assuming it's all in my head and I've got to try to work around it somehow, haha.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
I don't gag but I still recoil with rare meat. Any squish in meat and count me out. Same with sashimi, sushi, etc. My host brother in Japan didn't complain, he said I was cheap to feed!

Texture sensitivity is pretty common, I hear about it more with food than anything else but I get it worse with touch.

Duster reference]

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
Hmm, it may very well be psychosomatic, but I have similar things occur every now and again. Every time I eat olives it feels like a piece of one has gotten stuck in the back of my throat, and when I drink coffee I get that phlegmy feeling you describe that takes forever to go away.  >_<

I know I have an unusually small esophagus (learned that the hard way trying to swallow ginormous pills heh, just coughed them right back up), but maybe that's the case with you and because of their mushy/slimy nature, some of the food is actually getting stuck there in your esophagus. You could also have pockets of scarred tissue from your prior illness that food is getting stuck in, and there are conditions which can build up nodules of phlegm that stick to your throat.  It might also be a mild allergy to certain foods. If you're really worried I'd see a doctor but it sounds innocuous enough, if really annoying  :huh:

Sorry you have to deal with such an annoying problem! :hug:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
I have that reaction with stuff like yogurt and pudding though i'm fine with pudding more than with yogurt. the texture just makes me go a;asdlfjasdlfjadf ewwww whyy lol.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline melipuffles

• View Profile
Hmm, it may very well be psychosomatic, but I have similar things occur every now and again. Every time I eat olives it feels like a piece of one has gotten stuck in the back of my throat, and when I drink coffee I get that phlegmy feeling you describe that takes forever to go away.  >_<

I know I have an unusually small esophagus (learned that the hard way trying to swallow ginormous pills heh, just coughed them right back up), but maybe that's the case with you and because of their mushy/slimy nature, some of the food is actually getting stuck there in your esophagus. You could also have pockets of scarred tissue from your prior illness that food is getting stuck in, and there are conditions which can build up nodules of phlegm that stick to your throat.  It might also be a mild allergy to certain foods. If you're really worried I'd see a doctor but it sounds innocuous enough, if really annoying  :huh:

Yeah, it's more annoying than anything, it's not extremely troublesome. It's just bothersome when I want to actually sit and enjoy a food and have to down a glass of water or juice to be able to stand it. xD

The pill thing intrigues me, since I have trouble swallowing those as well. I can do it, but I tend to get the "stuck pill" feeling a lot.

I don't gag but I still recoil with rare meat. Any squish in meat and count me out. Same with sashimi, sushi, etc. My host brother in Japan didn't complain, he said I was cheap to feed!

Texture sensitivity is pretty common, I hear about it more with food than anything else but I get it worse with touch.

See, I don't get that problem with meats or sushi, it's only things that are ...goopy I guess? Meat might be squishy but not in the sense of "If I squeeze this it will be like squishing play-doh."

I have that reaction with stuff like yogurt and pudding though i'm fine with pudding more than with yogurt. the texture just makes me go a;asdlfjasdlfjadf ewwww whyy lol.

I'm glad I'm not alone here!  xD

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's more annoying than anything, it's not extremely troublesome. It's just bothersome when I want to actually sit and enjoy a food and have to down a glass of water or juice to be able to stand it. xD

The pill thing intrigues me, since I have trouble swallowing those as well. I can do it, but I tend to get the "stuck pill" feeling a lot.

Hate that  >_< But yeah, I bet you do have either a small esophagus or some scarring in there that's causing food to get stuck, that's my best guess.

Offline melipuffles

• View Profile

Hate that  >_< But yeah, I bet you do have either a small esophagus or some scarring in there that's causing food to get stuck, that's my best guess.

I also sometimes can't even swallow the pills..my tongue will stick them to the roof of my mouth repeatedly until I just get fed up. XD

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
I'm the same way!  I thought I was the only nutty person here!

I also have so much trouble swallowing pills. Sometimes I have trouble getting myself to swallow at all.  It's the strangest feeling.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I can't brush toward the back of my tongue without gagging. Therefore, I gag every morning & night. I always feel like there's a hair (doubtful) or stray bristle back there (highly unlikely), so much so that I convince myself it's actually there & I gag. It sucks! I wish I could stop it! :blush:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I got sick a lot when I was a kid, so my throat is always phlegmy now. I have heard that eating sugary things can make it worse, which I do quite often since you only live once darn it. >_< I also get nausea from eating things like beef or pork or potatoes, or just eating too much in general (though I've been told 'too much' for me isn't a lot for other people). Maybe your body just doesn't like mushy things? :what:

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
I get that a little bit, mostly with those same foods you mentioned. I think its a reaction to a food additive. I notice it the most when I have any kind of dairy. Drinking a full glass of water after eating seems to bring it under control.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Texture on food doesn't do this to me, but swallowing pills does. It doesn't help that I have to take several pills daily for medical reasons. :/

I have an easily triggered gag reflex. I never had it until the last three or so years. When I get a cough after a cold, I get tickles in my throat that cause me to cough madly and sometimes that causes me to throw up. I'll literally have to make a beeline for the bathroom when I get in a coughing fit.

But like I said, it's not food that does this to me. It's pills and coughing. So in a sense I can relate. It's very annoying.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
I have trouble with pasta.  Other than good old tinned spaghetti, I just find it too slimy to eat. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal