collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tail rot advice  (Read 234 times)

findlay_pvet

• Trade Count: (0)
Tail rot advice
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
Hi all,

So tail rot is nothing new.  Popped the head off and tossed out the washer and started cleaning the hair with nail polish remover.  HOWEVER, the little metal clip itself is rusted.  So I grabbed some pliers and tried to pry it off.  It started to loosen, but snapped several hairs in the process!
I stopped there before I made the whole thing worse - I don't want to rehair her after all!
I guess I can practice on some G3's - they have the same clip, but in the meantime, any thoughts about how to get that stupid piece off safely?

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: Tail rot advice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »
Try to pull it though or even just gently manipulate the washer back and forth until it breaks.
I recommend using toothpaste for tail rust, as sometimes nailpolish remover can leave the hair feeling a little bit brittle.

Good luck with your restoration!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
i have had some success with 2 pairs of pliers, one on each side of the clamp, and pull down on the pliers so the clamp edges come apart. it's very hard to explain lol!! once the clamp starts to come apart i can then get in there with needle nose pliers and get it off. i also zip tie the hair either side of the clamp so it doesn't go everywhere when the clamp does finally come off. i always get some broken hair, i think it happens from the edges of the clamp :lol: if you like i'll try to take some pics :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:48:21 AM »
This is the only pony duty my brother ever helps with because he hoards all the household tools as though I am going to eat them or something :P

Unfortunately you do need to simply pry it off with pliers. I believe little brother simply presses the grip flat in one direction, then presses it flat in the other direction and repeats. Eventually you will simply wear the metal down and it may break or may simply become loose enough to remove.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »

Unfortunately you do need to simply pry it off with pliers. I believe little brother simply presses the grip flat in one direction, then presses it flat in the other direction and repeats. Eventually you will simply wear the metal down and it may break or may simply become loose enough to remove.

Exactly this. If you're worried about losing hair, put a white cloth down on your workspace, that way you can gather up the strands and put them back in

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal