collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do You Upload Your Pony Photos to Flickr?  (Read 943 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Do You Upload Your Pony Photos to Flickr?
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
I have a flickr account, but so far I've only used it to display my Monster High photography. However, I have a ton of pony photos I could upload as well. The question is, do many pony peeps use flickr to share pony photos (specifically G1)?

Depending on what y'all have to say on this, I may begin uploading some of my favorite pony photos...

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Upload Your Pony Photos to Flickr?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »
I do!
I only collect G4 though but here's my pony collection on flickr  ^.^
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3377345/collections/72157628541666509/

I can't say I'm happy with the changes flickr has made lately but it's still the best way to share photos I've found. I've made some great contacts there.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
I use photobucket... is it the same basic idea or more of a sharing thing like FB?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Goodness no.. as soon as you start using those picture sites, people start stealing your photos like crazy.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
Well, earlier ones and certain pics, yes.

Lovesbabysquirmy- this is the exact reason why all the pictures on my Flickr page is friends only. You can set up Flickr to show only certain uploads (or the entire Flickr account) only to certain people- for example, only people who you're friends with on Flickr (i.e. they're on your Flickr friends list) and even then the Friends list can be divided into friends and family members, so that's three layers of security right there.

In my case, all my pictures are only visible to people on my Flickr friends list, or those I issue a guest pass. Anyone else looking at it will see my account as empty.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:47:08 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
Goodness no.. as soon as you start using those picture sites, people start stealing your photos like crazy.
Steal... photos?

I don't get it? I mean, one photo of, say, Blossomforth, may be from a different angle or something as compared to another, but they're still going to be of the exact same figure. It's not like anyone's stealing the actual toys themselves. And you still have the photo, since you uploaded it and it's presumably on your hard-drive and whatnot. I just don't understand what this means. I guess it might be a concern if someone downloads someone else's picture and uses it on eBay to misrepresent the contents of their auction (e.g. pretending there isn't a paint mark or other blemish), but there are enough photos of everything already that adding one more won't change anything, and besides that...?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »
I only use photobucket. Would LOVE to see some of your pony pics Tuney...  :inlove:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:05:53 AM »
I use photobucket, never tried Flickr. But I would love to see your pony pics too!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:14:51 AM »
I think thats a great idea Tuney. Your pictures are always very creative and I for one would certainly keep an eye out for gorgeous images.

Steal... photos?

I don't get it? I mean, one photo of, say, Blossomforth, may be from a different angle or something as compared to another, but they're still going to be of the exact same figure. It's not like anyone's stealing the actual toys themselves. And you still have the photo, since you uploaded it and it's presumably on your hard-drive and whatnot. I just don't understand what this means. I guess it might be a concern if someone downloads someone else's picture and uses it on eBay to misrepresent the contents of their auction (e.g. pretending there isn't a paint mark or other blemish), but there are enough photos of everything already that adding one more won't change anything, and besides that...?

To be honest this is something which upsets me a little.

You would perhaps be surprised by the amount of image theft which comes about even from a site like the Arena - and just because the picture is of the same item that some one else owns or could pick up in store does not mean the image does not belong to the original photographer. Personally I know I would not be happy should I find anyone using a picture I have taken without asking permission [i.e. using or simply uploading to another site]. I have seen several images people have posted here [via whichever file sharing site they use] and then through the simple sharing of that image it ending up on other websites with no credit and certainly without the permission of the original user.

Yes it is unfortunately something we need to be aware of and something we are unlikely to ever stop but just because we are amateur photographers and the pictures taken are of items which plenty of others own does not mean we don't have the right to consider someone using our pictures within permission as "image theft".

/moan over :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »
I use Photobucket and instagram (sprinklecupcakepuff). I want so see some gorgeous pony pictures, everyone! ^-^

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:09 AM »
I use Photobucket and instagram (sprinklecupcakepuff). I want so see some gorgeous pony pictures, everyone! ^-^

Me too :) Tuney your pics are always lovely :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:50 AM »
Steal... photos?

It means that if you take a picture - of whatever, people, landscape, ponies, dolls, art - it is the photographers picture. The photographer owns it - so for someone else to download it and use it - is against the law(at least it is in Norway, not so updated on other countries, but it would surprise me if it was not the same). No matter what it is a picture of. The picture itself is the property and artwork of the photographer. This is i.e. an important distinction to make if your photos are used on illegal websites or to represent illegal activities. It could also be used to communicate something you as the photographer are not supportive of. Stealing photography could be (of course depending on the uniqueness of the photography) just as illegal as stealing a pony directly from the store. In some cases even more illegal - depending on what the image is used for.

Now, this is not a big issue for most of us on flickr - but I have had my doll pictures stolen and uploaded on websites I was not comfortable with. It happens more often than one would believe.To avoid this you could as already suggested here make your photos private or you could use watermarks.

On to the real question of this topic :) I have a Flickr account and I use it for my pony pictures - I use it for photography in general as well. The difference between photobucket and FLickr is huge and if you like photography and the community around photos I would recommend flickr. Most of my pictures are open for all to see though ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »
I think thats a great idea Tuney. Your pictures are always very creative and I for one would certainly keep an eye out for gorgeous images.

Steal... photos?

To be honest this is something which upsets me a little.

You would perhaps be surprised by the amount of image theft which comes about even from a site like the Arena - and just because the picture is of the same item that some one else owns or could pick up in store does not mean the image does not belong to the original photographer. Personally I know I would not be happy should I find anyone using a picture I have taken without asking permission [i.e. using or simply uploading to another site]. I have seen several images people have posted here [via whichever file sharing site they use] and then through the simple sharing of that image it ending up on other websites with no credit and certainly without the permission of the original user.

Yes it is unfortunately something we need to be aware of and something we are unlikely to ever stop but just because we are amateur photographers and the pictures taken are of items which plenty of others own does not mean we don't have the right to consider someone using our pictures within permission as "image theft".

/moan over :P

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!  I had to pass this thread up because of this... but for me, I am mainly using photobucket for MLP stuff.  Anything that I don't want being used is either not uploaded or is watermarked and sent through the copyright office first before being posted anywhere online.  I have my own personal dislike of flickr, but it is a heck of a lot better than photobucket.  Image quality after compression is much nicer.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
I'm not too worried about my photos being used elsewhere. I have my photos set up so that if you share them, it links back to the photo. Granted, that won't stop someone with an agenda from finding a way around that. Either way, it doesn't bother me.

Back on topic. I really want to know whether there is a Flickr community of pony people who post G1 pics so that I'm not uploading in vain! It seems like a few of you do it, but perhaps not to the extent that MH collectors do. Hmm...what to do...

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
Tuneful, there are a couple of groups for MLP photos - I would search for them and look through those groups. I know there are a couple of G4 collectors that upload some - and take wonderful photos! Not so many G1 collectors though - but I for one would love to have a bigger MLP community on Flickr ;)

But of course it is nothing like MH or other doll collectors. Most of the doll communities I've been a part of has also had a big group that were very interested in photography - I don't think the group is just as big in the MLP community.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal