collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Plushie Prices?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
MLP Plushie Prices?
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
Hi all! So, I desperately want a good quality FIM plushie, and I finally found someone, but I guess I'm just asking for a personal opinion here because I know most plushie makers charge a fortune for alicorns. Do you think $340 (including shipping) is too much for a good quality minky accurate Nightmare Moon plush? I really needed a personal opinion. I know the personal value will shoot up once I am able to buy the plush and get it signed by Tabitha St Germain herself.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Plushie Prices?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
I definitely would not pay that. Honestly, the $100 or so most plushies go for is way more than I'd pay, which is the reason I haven't gotten one yet. But, that's what the market will support, so that's the price they are.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:40:38 AM »
It all depends on size, weight and how much the artist has set as their 'hourly wage'
A pony like NMM requires several different shades of minky which all have to be bought. Also possible wire for the mane and tail, wings ect.
There is then the price of time used to create said pony.
I make tiny plushies and they take me weeks!
Most plushies tend to go between $100+ but as I said its all down to the artist.
If you aren't happy with the price then perhaps finding another artist is the best bet :)
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »
It's too much for me, but whether it's too much for you is really up to you. Is it worth that to you?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
How much do materials cost? Minky is really expensive...  try pricing it out online.   How much should the artist be paid as a wage?  $8/hr?  $25/hr? 

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
I agree that height and size are definitely a consideration.

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
I agree with the others.  Do some research to see what the fabric and other materials cost, how complex the pattern is, and how long its going to take to make.  Doing so will make it more understandable with how much something costs.

Even something that is super tiny can take a long while to do--concider jewlery making.  I can spend up to 4 or 5 hours on a necklace easily yet it fits in the palm of my hand <3 Would it be justifyble to charge only $10 for it because its small?

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
I definitely would not pay that. Honestly, the $100 or so most plushies go for is way more than I'd pay, which is the reason I haven't gotten one yet. But, that's what the market will support, so that's the price they are.

As a plushie marker, I feel the need to explain a few things about how plushie making works, and just exactly why plushies are so "high in price".

A pony can take 2-7 colors of fabric, which costs on average, $15 a yard. Embroidery for cutie marks and eyes can take 2-6 spools at $5 each.  Bobbin thread is $12 a roll. Sewing thread is $5 a roll. Stuffing is about $5 a bag. That's also including shipping costs to order your supplies in. 

So for a NM, materials I would say would be 5 yards of minky ($75) 3 spools of thread ($15), Stuffing ($5) so that's $95 for supplies.

Next you need to consider the time it takes to make a plushie. BASIC plushies like Pinkie Pie are about 10 hours of simply labor to sew the plush. Nightmare Moon would easily be double.  Most artists would like to make fair/minimum wage, which is about $8 and hour. So, $8 X 20 hours = $160 in labor. Many artists (like me) undercut ourselves and make much less then that. I only charge $5 an hour. 

Oh, and let's talk about the time it takes to MAKE the pattern! There's no magical pace you can buy patterns for all ponies mans and tails in all sizes, especially cutoms! We an artists has to plan, draft, draw and create customized patterns just for your plush, which could take hours upon hours. Some like a pattern for pinkie is reusable, but what about if the pony is an OC? The chances of using that pattern again as slim. So that can be added labor! (some add it in to the cost, some don't)

So if we did materials ($95) plus labor ($160) that would be $255 for a Nightmare Moon, if we're working with "minimum" wage. However, many artists want to actually make a living, so they go higher. I start myself out so cheap at $5/hour because I'm a novice. I'm not like Whitedove who has dozens of plush under her belt. As time goes by and I improve, my prices will rise.

"But?" you cry "It doesn't take a full yard or spool to do a pony!"

True, it doesn't. However, an artists still needs to have that in STOCK in order to make your pony. So sure, they could only charge you the physical amount of material used, but what if that color is never requested again? Then the artist has dead stock, and has lost money on what sits there in storage.  No company does this. It's just not smart. Also, there's waste involved in pattern cutting. You'll lose a good 25% of your material just form cutting out the pattern pieces, so that has to be included in the costs to the buyer. 

Finally, we have to pay for our machines. A good sewing machine is about $500, and a good embroidery machine is $700-$1200.  Also, there's electricity to run those machines. And what about space for an art room? Other supplies like scissors, stabilizer, buttons, bobbins, the list goes on and on. And then there's paypal fees, etsy feels, bank fees, TAXES... (since this must be claimed as income!) It's not a matter of "here's a yard of fabric make me a pony!"  Plushie making is a BUSINESS, like all businesses there are serious expenses which the owner pays for, and must be reflected in their sales.

To give you an example, I started my business last August. Since thing, I have accumulated over $4000 in equipment, supplies, fabric, etc. To this point, I have just breached $2000 in sales (keep in mind I do more then plushies, I also do keychains, magnets, etc). So I am running in the red, and will, most likely, continue TO run in the negative for the next year while I continue to get my setup costs in order.  Any small business is actually expected to run in the red for at least the first three years before we start to "make profit". However,  we can't do that is we sell you plushies for less then they cost us to make. That's simply bad business. And as much as people may want to think otherwise, making plushies is a business in which we are out to eventually, someday, make a little profit.

And for those who might cry "I could buy a Pinkie for $20 from walmart!" Then go do it. Go buy a plushie that's mass produced and they pump out thousands a day in china where they pay $2/hour, rather then a one of a kind, handmade to your specifications plushie. That's your choice.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:34:19 AM by Tilas »

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
Makes sense. :) But I'd like to point out I never said they weren't worth that; I only said I wasn't willing to pay it. Personal choice, that's all.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »

As a plushie marker, I feel the need to explain a few things about how plushie making works, and just exactly why plushies are so "high in price".

A pony can take 2-7 colors of fabric, which costs on average, $15 a yard. Embroidery for cutie marks and eyes can take 2-6 spools at $5 each.  Bobbin thread is $12 a roll. Sewing thread is $5 a roll. Stuffing is about $5 a bag. That's also including shipping costs to order your supplies in. 

So for a NM, materials I would say would be 5 yards of minky ($75) 3 spools of thread ($15), Stuffing ($5) so that's $95 for supplies.

Next you need to consider the time it takes to make a plushie. BASIC plushies like Pinkie Pie are about 10 hours of simply labor to sew the plush. Nightmare Moon would easily be double.  Most artists would like to make fair/minimum wage, which is about $8 and hour. So, $8 X 20 hours = $160 in labor. Many artists (like me) undercut ourselves and make much less then that. I only charge $5 an hour. 

Oh, and let's talk about the time it takes to MAKE the pattern! There's no magical pace you can buy patterns for all ponies mans and tails in all sizes, especially cutoms! We an artists has to plan, draft, draw and create customized patterns just for your plush, which could take hours upon hours. Some like a pattern for pinkie is reusable, but what about if the pony is an OC? The chances of using that pattern again as slim. So that can be added labor! (some add it in to the cost, some don't)

So if we did materials ($95) plus labor ($160) that would be $255 for a Nightmare Moon, if we're working with "minimum" wage. However, many artists want to actually make a living, so they go higher. I start myself out so cheap at $5/hour because I'm a novice. I'm not like Whitedove who has dozens of plush under her belt. As time goes by and I improve, my prices will rise.

"But?" you cry "It doesn't take a full yard or spool to do a pony!"

True, it doesn't. However, an artists still needs to have that in STOCK in order to make your pony. So sure, they could only charge you the physical amount of material used, but what if that color is never requested again? Then the artist has dead stock, and has lost money on what sits there in storage.  No company does this. It's just not smart. Also, there's waste involved in pattern cutting. You'll lose a good 25% of your material just form cutting out the pattern pieces, so that has to be included in the costs to the buyer. 

Finally, we have to pay for our machines. A good sewing machine is about $500, and a good embroidery machine is $700-$1200.  Also, there's electricity to run those machines. And what about space for an art room? Other supplies like scissors, stabilizer, buttons, bobbins, the list goes on and on. And then there's paypal fees, etsy feels, bank fees, TAXES... (since this must be claimed as income!) It's not a matter of "here's a yard of fabric make me a pony!"  Plushie making is a BUSINESS, like all businesses there are serious expenses which the owner pays for, and must be reflected in their sales.

To give you an example, I started my business last August. Since thing, I have accumulated over $4000 in equipment, supplies, fabric, etc. To this point, I have just breached $2000 in sales (keep in mind I do more then plushies, I also do keychains, magnets, etc). So I am running in the red, and will, most likely, continue TO run in the negative for the next year while I continue to get my setup costs in order.  Any small business is actually expected to run in the red for at least the first three years before we start to "make profit". However,  we can't do that is we sell you plushies for less then they cost us to make. That's simply bad business. And as much as people may want to think otherwise, making plushies is a business in which we are out to eventually, someday, make a little profit.

And for those who might cry "I could buy a Pinkie for $20 from walmart!" Then go do it. Go buy a plushie that's mass produced and they pump out thousands a day in china where they pay $2/hour, rather then a one of a kind, handmade to your specifications plushie. That's your choice.

THIS
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
Makes sense. :) But I'd like to point out I never said they weren't worth that; I only said I wasn't willing to pay it. Personal choice, that's all.

I understand. many people aren't willing to pay it, and that's up to them. I was just explaining the why, that's all. :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
For someone that sews I really do think many just have no idea the amount of time, money and effort that goes into any handmade item.  Many do not want to pay what things are really worth when you consider that time, money and effort to make it.  It was for this reason I quit sewing for dolls as a side job.  The price of fabrics is just so high now and non sewers just have no idea what things cost and they want very low prices for handmade items and it really isn't fair to the artist working so hard to create such beautiful pieces.  I don't know what is a fair value on a plushie as I have not made those, I am only saying that handmade items are expensive and I usually only buy handmade items that I know I will get more than one use out of because, I know they are high and deserve to be.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
It all depends on size, weight and how much the artist has set as their 'hourly wage'
A pony like NMM requires several different shades of minky which all have to be bought. Also possible wire for the mane and tail, wings ect.
There is then the price of time used to create said pony.
I make tiny plushies and they take me weeks!
Most plushies tend to go between $100+ but as I said its all down to the artist.
If you aren't happy with the price then perhaps finding another artist is the best bet :)

Maybe $100 for the mane six/standard pony, but all the princesses seem to be in the $500 range. least all of the decent quality ones i've seen.

Post Merge: June 10, 2013, 08:01:43 PM

It's too much for me, but whether it's too much for you is really up to you. Is it worth that to you?

i think it's worth it for me :) especially since, as i said, it will be signed by Tabitha

Post Merge: June 10, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

I understand. many people aren't willing to pay it, and that's up to them. I was just explaining the why, that's all. :)

i agree with all you said :) a little off topic, but i LOVE the designs for those pins!! i might just buy myself some from you :3

Post Merge: June 10, 2013, 08:09:13 PM

I agree with the others.  Do some research to see what the fabric and other materials cost, how complex the pattern is, and how long its going to take to make.  Doing so will make it more understandable with how much something costs.

Even something that is super tiny can take a long while to do--concider jewlery making.  I can spend up to 4 or 5 hours on a necklace easily yet it fits in the palm of my hand <3 Would it be justifyble to charge only $10 for it because its small?

the plushie maker said it takes them just 3 days to make a plush. and we are speaking of a plush of this quality:

http://agatrix.deviantart.com/art/Nightmare-Moon-364892406

actually, that exact plush.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:09:13 PM by BrinnyTheBrave »

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
3 days is believable. It takes me about 8-14 hours per plush and I average 3-4 hours a night. It can take a long time with all the tiny details.

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
3 days is believable. It takes me about 8-14 hours per plush and I average 3-4 hours a night. It can take a long time with all the tiny details.

yeah, i believe it :) i have three unfinished probably never-to-be-finished personal project pony plushies sitting on my desk that i gave up on because of detail XD they were a Fluttershy, a :muffin: Pony, and a Cadence :)

Post Merge: June 10, 2013, 10:04:54 PM

yeah, i believe it :) i have three unfinished probably never-to-be-finished personal project pony plushies sitting on my desk that i gave up on because of detail XD they were a Fluttershy, a Ditzy Doo, and a Cadence :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal