collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are these errors? Fakes? Other?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Are these errors? Fakes? Other?
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
I bought some interesting Rainbow Dash blind bags in weird colors off Ebay, got them in the mail yesterday, and finally opened them up today! They're...interesting, for sure. First, a few pics:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

First: the plastic they're made of is glossier and smoother than usual blind bag plastic. Look how shiny they are. Second: there's usually a small gap between the legs and tail of the pegasus model; these are solid. Third: two of them have funny eyes on the NDS, though both eyes and cutie mark are the typical sort of factory applique. Fourth: they have a small letter on the NDS front hoof. The pink has a B; the other two have an E.

So, what's the verdict, Arena?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:12:14 PM by Shiromisa »

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: Are these errors? Fakes? Other?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Ohhh! So interesting and strange!
I have no idea on the verdict, but am very curious to see what the G4 experts say!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
Clearly the changelings are coming.

In all seriousness though, if they're made of hard plastic and not vinyl they could very well be fake, but the eyes and cutie mark look a tad too convincing for that. Maybe they're prototype figures? That would sort of explain the lettering.

ETA: Did these come in a bulk lot from China, or were they listed independently?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:55:38 PM by OneWingChangeling »

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I think the mold isn't any different, but they look weird being so shiny, like they're covered in oil.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
I thought they were wet in the pictures, but nope, the plastic is just super super shiny. That part, I rather like.

However! In the shower just now, I remembered the one surefire way to make sure something's Hasbro...

No MLP logo under the hooves, just smooth plastic. So it's looking to me like they're very well-done fakes.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Sounds like someone ripped Hasbro off and made a mold from an original,
Id say its just a rip off.
:accomplished:

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
There are apparently ludicrous numbers of these and their cousins, but they're very little-known because they don't tend to crop up on either eBay or Taobao. Them being fakies honestly makes more sense than anything else, given their sometimes sloppy paint jobs, large numbers for bizarre color schemes, and apparently different material. Neat. Can't wait for mine to show up to get a closer look.

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
There are apparently ludicrous numbers of these and their cousins, but they're very little-known because they don't tend to crop up on either eBay or Taobao. Them being fakies honestly makes more sense than anything else, given their sometimes sloppy paint jobs, large numbers for bizarre color schemes, and apparently different material. Neat. Can't wait for mine to show up to get a closer look.
Huh, I didn't know they were so prevalent! I'm not too bothered about them being fake, I mean, where else can you get a pink RBD? Which do you have coming?

Offline Winter Bones

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

Really, there's that many of them? Where do you find them, if you don't mind me asking? I love G4 fakies of all kinds.

Mwahahaha! I found some on alibaba express!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:35:50 PM by OneWingChangeling »

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »
These are the types I got. Bizarre color schemes and cutie mark combos, and you can literally buy them in the hundreds. There was another set pretty recently with a greater variety of poses but equally wacky variety (and horribly misaligned Pinkie Pie eyes), but it seems to have disappeared. bluhhhh

Curiously, the ones you got don't match the ones on aliexpress, even though there are a whole bunch of different listings on aliexpress for those particular five designs, but I've never seen the ones you got except for the one time they were up on eBay. Someday they'll arrive and I'll see if there's more variety than advertised or what.  :blink:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:28:03 PM by VioletCLM »

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
These are the types I got. Bizarre color schemes and cutie mark combos, and you can literally buy them in the hundreds. There was another set pretty recently with a greater variety of poses but equally wacky variety (and horribly misaligned Pinkie Pie eyes), but it seems to have disappeared. bluhhhh

Curiously, the ones you got don't match the ones on aliexpress, even though there are a whole bunch of different listings on aliexpress for those particular five designs, but I've never seen the ones you got except for the one time they were up on eBay. Someday they'll arrive and I'll see if there's more variety than advertised or what.  :blink:
Hmmm. I may see if I can get a white Pinkie Pie model to make a blind bag Surprise.

Offline Winter Bones

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
Keep us updated when they come in, VioletCLM. :) I ordered from that same listing just tonight, and was wondering how many different sorts of ponies there were. Rarity and Dash seem to be the only two molds in the listing. Ooh! That reminds me, I saw an Applejack mold fakie on ebay as well. AKA Appleshy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MY-LITTLE-PONY-Friendship-Is-Magic-2-inch-Figure-Loose-Apple-Bloom-/221228315624?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item33823c33e8

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:54:21 PM by OneWingChangeling »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
There are certainly plenty of genuine MLP error blind bags out there but I agree that a lot of these [weird plastic, incredibly poor paint jobs] are fakies of Hasbro moulds.

Congrats on adding some to your collection.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
I saw these too and couldn't make heads or tails of them. The shiny material is strange  :blink:

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »
Okay, they finally showed up! They took a lot longer than eBay purchases, so I'm thinking they use a much less streamlined shipping process, but whatever.

I ordered four each of yellow Rarity, blue Rarity, pink Rarity, white Rainbow Dash, and purple Rainbow Dash. I got:
  • Four yellow Rarity
  • Four purple Rainbow Dash
  • Four white Rainbow Dash
  • Three pink Rarity
  • Two blue Rarity
  • One pink Rainbow Dash
  • Three blue Rainbow Dash (one of them unpackaged, bringing the total up to 21)
Every Rainbow Dash has Applejack's cutie mark; every Rarity has Pinkie Pie's cutie mark. The origins of seller plusneo's Rainbow Dashes (and one Applejack) with the proper marks remain a mystery on top of these girls' more general mystery, and there's still no sign of those Pinkie Pies I saw once showing up again.

All of Shiromisa's observations -- shinier paint, lack of hole between tail and back legs, no My Little Pony logo -- are true for mine as well. The NDS eye is worst on the pink RD, the unpackaged blue RD, and a couple of the Rarity figures, but is otherwise mostly fine. Every Rarity has the letter 'E'; the pink RD has 'E', but all the others have 'B' instead.

Pictures to come.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal