collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do I really need a ponysona?  (Read 741 times)

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Do I really need a ponysona?
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:03:23 AM »
Hey guys!
I've been trying do design a ponysona, but everything I came up with so far doesn't satisfy me. Usually, when I find a nice design I discover there are at least dozen like her, but when I tweak it a bit it looks like I ripped of a Hasbro character (I don't want do be accused for copying others' designs) :/ I have one design which is nice, but doesn't feel right. It's nice as a pony in general, but not as my ponysona (if you get me XD )

I've never had the need to design OCs of any kind for commercial franchises like MLP, Pokemon, Digimon, anime in general etc., but when I was younger I often made up many random creatures and their stories to play with, so imagination shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I wasn't bothered with ponysonas and OCs until my friend asked me if I had my "OC" because everyone had theirs, so maybe that's the main problem (hence the title). It seems that they are obligatory in the fandom, at least with bronies :shrug:

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
Re: Do I really need a ponysona?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »
I'm pretty much a G1-only person and not familiar with the brony community, but I can tell you I never had one, or any kind of persona for that matter. In my teen years, 99% of my artsy friends had a fursona/alter ego/something else to represent themselves. I didn't. I occasionally designed ponies, but they didn't become recurrent characters with defined personalities or anything. On the other hand, I've always been making up my own stories and have a lot of OCs set in their original universes instead of "fan OCs" for commercial franchises or the like. I've just never had enough interest in creating one.

If you truly want a ponysona, perhaps another member can provide some more useful design tips and tricks? Or perhaps tell how they came up with theirs?

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »
No, not at all. At least not in my opinion :P  I have 6 OC's or something, but I just like designing ponies <3 Only Moonbreeze is my persona, but I've changed her design a million times because I didn't like it  -_-
If a design doesn't feel right, don't use it ;)
So... nothing is obligatory.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
No, you don't have to, but if you want to PM me some details about yourself, e.g fave colours, hair length, favourite activities, favourite animal etc, I can try and make a design for you? I'm not great at drawing, but if I can design you a basic ref, you can get her properly made in the adopt tables forum.
Pm me if you would like me to do so :)

Post Merge: May 30, 2013, 02:42:54 AM

Oh, and I will need your fave pony type: uni, earth, peg, uni peg or male :) As well as fave gen, iI do G1 poses, but can design it,and as I said, you can get her properly made in the adoptables forum!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:42:54 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »
Of course not! Nobody really "needs" one. Some people just have a desire to secure their identity in their fandoms, and making a persona, or in this case, a ponysona, can be a sort of way of becoming part of the franchise.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:01 AM »
Even though this was a silly topic, thank you for your answers. I think you can still like something if you can't or simply don't want to identify with it :)
Icecrystalline, thank you for your generous offer, but even if I were to design a ponysona, I wouldn't want to bother people with it because I'm a real hair-splitter when it comes to stuff like this haha But, again thank you, I really appreciate it  ^.^   

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
By all means it's not a requirement!  A lot of people get art of canon ponies.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
I tried for awhile to come up with one, but after watching Minty Christmas Special I searched no longer and when ever I want something done, Minty is out gal.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
I only have one but I really enjoy her. Her symbol is designed after a logo of a very special series I identify with. But it's just for personal use so I have no issues with it. It means something very special to me and that's what matters. Originality is great but its a symbol of ones self so you can't do it incorrectly. :)
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

anniekitty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
I've actually got a lot of characters, but that's because I really enjoy designing characters in general.
Though despite all that, I don't have a ponysonna.
I just have a ton of Original Characters. None of them really represent me.
My icon is a picture of my favorite pony that I have right now that I really really adore, but past that, I don't have a sonna.
I don't think you have to have a ponysonna or original characters to be part of any fandom. If you enjoy yourself and the fandom its self, that's all that really matters in the end.

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »
Well, no one really "needs" one persay, but I find some comfort in having a fictional being represent yourself.
I however, cannot make and keep a ponysona (or fursona) to save my life.
The reason for this is my characters often get roles in original fiction or fanfiction and then their personalities change so they're not like mine or they die.
I have however, over the course of last year, used Tirac as a "muse character" persona so to speak. Sure, I didn't really invent him or anything, but I do feel for whatever reason some connection to him.
Maybe because he likes things to go his way and wants all of the ponies to belong to him.  :devious:
That and he's really cool and epic looking and I always wish I could be strong and cool and epic looking.

I do have two pony OCs, Betel and Antarctic Rainbow, but they just don't really feel like ponysonas. Antarctic rainbow feels more like the deity from my stories as a pony, and Betel is just another character from that same story only a pony instead of a regular horse.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »
I  don't think it's something you need, but I do think it's something that would be nice to have....  I can't settle on one as I have so many likes - it's nigh to impossible

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:01:13 AM »
I don't have one! Although I'm thinking about getting one - MLP is really more about the original hasbro characters for me. I have my faves from Hasbro and that has been good enough for me since I joined the community in 2006! :)

K
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
Nope! No one says you have to do anything persona-wise. ;)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
It's most definitely not required.  Many of us do have ponysonas, but that's a choice.  If you don't want one or just haven't found the right one, that's totally 100% ok.  Many members just use their favorite Hasbro pony, some people have lots of ponies rather than just one.  I have two I guess, but only use one with any regularity.  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal