collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this against Paypal policy?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Is this against Paypal policy?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
Are either of these things against Paypal policy?  If so, can anyone point out to me where it says so?

1) Requesting that a buyer pay using the "gift" option.

2) Asking a buyer who does not wish to pay using the gift option to include enough extra $ to cover fees?

I don't sell on ebay ... just through the arena.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
Re: Is this against Paypal policy?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Here's the answer the question 1.

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

I can't find the exact quote on question 2 but Paypal reps will tell you it's against their TOS.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
Here's the answer the question 1.

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

I can't find the exact quote on question 2 but Paypal reps will tell you it's against their TOS.

Maybe the surcharge portions?

4.6 no Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:37 AM »
Thanks for posting the info  Corona and Sarah :bigups:  Hopefully that answers your questions :awake:
If you want to make sure you dont lose money on your item due to Paypal fees then add the cost onto the price of the item you are selling, dont ask your buyer to pay Paypal fees later ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
Thanks for posting the info, guys!  I really had no idea, and I've bought/sold about a hundred things on here without the issue ever coming up before.  Sometimes my whole profit is only a dollar or two on a pony, so that is why I've been asking buyers to pay their own fees.  It was never my intent to go against Paypal policy. But now I know, so I will always ask for payment as goods.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
Yea just add those fees into the initial price of your pony svleonard.  Thats perfectly okay to do.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
Yea just add those fees into the initial price of your pony svleonard.  Thats perfectly okay to do.
Yep! Factoring in fees into the product quietly is fine and a lot of people do it. Outright asking your buyer to pay extra fees is not okay.

Duster reference]

Offline Trish

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
This is good to know, I've always been a bit miffed by this. I've been asked a few times in the past by sellers asking me to mark it as gifts but starting from now I'm not going to do so,. if they have any problem with it they should have included the fees from the start :)

Wantlist | Swaplist (OLD!) | My trades/sales (OLD!)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:35:54 AM »
I had a wonderful member here tell me the total for items I am purchasing and shipping, but then said I needed to pay such and such in fees. I said to them as politely as I could that I would buy them, but it's not my responsibility for the fees. It's put me in a really awkward situation since they're so nice :( I paid them for the items+shipping, but not for the fees. I hope that's ok, I do feel bad, but after reading all these threads, it's not the buyers responsibility... :(

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »
Ice, you really shouldn't feel bad about it, it doesn't matter now nice the seller is, Paypal makes it pretty clear that the fees are the sellers responsibility, it's the cost of the convenience of using PayPal. When you are selling anything you need to factor in all your expenses, wheather it's renting a shop, paying wages or fees. It's not ok to add on hidden fees onto a purchase after prices and shipping cost is agreed upon, imo.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 03:59:09 AM »
Ice, you really shouldn't feel bad about it, it doesn't matter now nice the seller is, Paypal makes it pretty clear that the fees are the sellers responsibility, it's the cost of the convenience of using PayPal. When you are selling anything you need to factor in all your expenses, wheather it's renting a shop, paying wages or fees. It's not ok to add on hidden fees onto a purchase after prices and shipping cost is agreed upon, imo.

I feel bad also because they weren't going to sell online, they were just going to sell to people in their area, but I asked if they would send to me, and they said yes it would be fine. They told me the cost that we agreed on, and I waited for them to get back from the PO with a delivery quote, when they did, they sent that to me, plus item total again, plus a small paypal fee. I must admit, I feel bad since they weren't intending on selling online, but I know of others planning purchasing items too, and they weren't in the sellers area. :sigh: I do feel it is partly my fault since they hadn't planned on selling to others, and I asked. They did accept though, with no warning about paypal fees.... Hopefully it'll be ok, I did pay, I just didn't add the fees on. I hope they're alright with it, they are really, really nice!

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
Wow, that actually makes me feel better. I backed out of a deal when a seller asked me to help with his fees.  I felt...insulted? I don't know. I mean, it was only $1, but that's not the point, it's the position it put me in.   
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 03:34:25 AM »
I had no idea this was such a highly contested topic!  I've made several small purchases (under $10) from the Arena here recently and I choose to mark the payment as a gift because I would appreciate someone doing that for me since very little to no profit is probably being made, especially if all I am purchasing is a $1 bait pony.  However, on larger purchases I want the buyer protection so I will send it normally.

As a seller it seems like the general consensus is to include the fees in your price and not mention anything about the buyer covering the fees although that is essentially what you are doing.   If I was making a purchase and was asked to cover all fees I would try to get the item for a cheaper price, or suggest splitting the fee with the seller, since we are both benefiting from the service Paypal provides.  It's certainly not worth getting upset over especially if I'm buying an item I've really been wanting or is hard to find, and the buyer protection gained from using Paypal is worth the fees it in the end (on larger purchases).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:35:59 AM by Stiletto »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »

I agree with this, if you are going to factor in your fees it must be done before the item is put up for sale and added to that price when its listed, not after the sale...before.

Post Merge: June 03, 2013, 09:39:16 AM

Wow, that actually makes me feel better. I backed out of a deal when a seller asked me to help with his fees.  I felt...insulted? I don't know. I mean, it was only $1, but that's not the point, it's the position it put me in.   

Yea I don't care for this either. Let me decide what I want to do.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
Honestly, I as a seller ask people if they feel comfortable sending as a gift to avoid fees on my side, but I've not been adding fees in if they send as "goods"... the only way I have to definitely ask someone to include the fees is if they're bought something THROUGH me and I'm just the sender (overseas), then I need the coverage of what Paypal takes out because I'm quoting exact shipping... :huh: I guess I should just overquote the shipping and keep it hidden? I dunno I felt like being honest is the best policy, which is why I disclose that X-amount is going to the fees... :huh: Ack I feel like a bad seller now! :blush: :cry:

I would hope that any buyer with me would just say they don't want to pay as a gift, I never would be rude to them about it, honestly it comes and goes and half the time I send payments through my phone and don't even see the options on there...
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal