collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: oven dry clay  (Read 342 times)

jaybell

• Trade Count: (0)
oven dry clay
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
the air dry clay didn't turn out very well, it's very cracked and looks too fragile for my taste. I'm looking for something a lil cheaper then 2 part epoxy(the green stuff) and seems like oven dry clay is the way to go, any tips on working with the stuff? I am so bummed about my Flapjack pony,  :cloud: I want to make a flapjack and knuckles pony. anyway.... any tips? is it safe for the oven I cook food in? I read that I need to remove any magnets first anything else?  TIA  :frolic:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: oven dry clay
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
First do not try the two part green plumbers expoy, it is super stiff and not easy to work with. 

If you have a Micheals Craft store by you I would recommend snagging some of there new jewelry clay which is actually a two part expoy in colors.  Using a 40 or 50% off coupon will make it afford to try to see if you want to graduate to expoy.

In regards to oven bake, Permio or Fimo is what my daughter used to use and it worked well. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

jaybell

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
First do not try the two part green plumbers expoy, it is super stiff and not easy to work with. 

If you have a Micheals Craft store by you I would recommend snagging some of there new jewelry clay which is actually a two part expoy in colors.  Using a 40 or 50% off coupon will make it afford to try to see if you want to graduate to expoy.

In regards to oven bake, Permio or Fimo is what my daughter used to use and it worked well.

I've used the "green stuff" epoxy but it was for modeling not plumbing but it is $$$! I'll look out for that jewelry epoxy would it be over by the beads and stuff?

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
I work with modeling greenstuff as well, so I feel ya on the costs. I'm browsing for another type of clay also but I'm a coward haha.

jaybell

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »
I work with modeling greenstuff as well, so I feel ya on the costs. I'm browsing for another type of clay also but I'm a coward haha.

Don't try the air dry stuff!! lol brittle and it shrinks and cracks and doesn't stick! bleh... lol I think i'm going to suck it up and buy some more on pay day anyway. *sigh* I have ponies to make!  :nerdy:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

I've used the "green stuff" epoxy but it was for modeling not plumbing but it is $$$! I'll look out for that jewelry epoxy would it be over by the beads and stuff?
It is still way stiffer then the "artist" apoxies.  And yes it is over by the beads, I believe findings.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

jaybell

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »

It is still way stiffer then the "artist" apoxies.  And yes it is over by the beads, I believe findings.

ok thanks! i'll check it out I'm so used to working with epoxy it doesn't seem difficult lol. I do it b/c my husband used it for warhammer figures so when we started we just started using that

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I always use Fimo for my customs and I never remove the magnets for baking.
I bake them in a small microwave/baking oven (ya it's against the rules if you follow the Fimo instructions blah)
Anyway I always bake them 230°F for around 26 mins. =)
No problems in 7 years.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal