collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need advice - college/financial aid.  (Read 504 times)

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
Need advice - college/financial aid.
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
Hey Everyone!
I could really use some advice. I'm 27, and I'm just now becoming dead set on going to college. I know which school I want to attend, but I'm CLUELESS about the application/financial aid process'. More clueless then a lot of people would assume possible lol. My parents always seemed to have a "thing" against me going to school. They never encouraged it, and downright shot the idea down when I brought it up a few times. Needless to say they never participated in my High School prep and such, so I never did any.

My friends tell me "just contact the applications dept." Honestly, that just leaves me clueless as for what to say (without sounding like a stuttering moron that is) I did just write a short note back to the applications rep that e-mailed me. I'm even wondering if that was a good idea.  :satisfied: It came out rather informal. >.<

Specific questions? I guess would be something like this - A - Do I need to be accepted to the school before filling out the Fasfa? B- If I want to start in 2014 do I have to wait until January to file the fasfa? How quickly WOULD the aid come through? This is a year round school, and I'd want to start spring/summer. I keep seeing info from the school about loans. They make it seem like they offer them, or set them up. Everyone I know got private student loans through their banks to pay their remainder. Anyone have experience going through their school's dept?

Any other advice. I would really use a step by baby step manual  :lookround:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Need advice - college/financial aid.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:24:48 AM »
I have no advice but best of luck! Hopefully someone will come along and be able to help you out!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:07:52 AM »
I worked in student aid, so let me see if I can help you out a bit.

The good news is you're 27, so you're considering independent and can be eligible for more money/grants.  It's sad that your parents didn't want you to get an education, but it's great you want to go!

So what kind of school are you going to go to?  A community college? 

You will need to fill out the FASFA during the 2014-2015. You'll have to pick out one school for FASFA to send your results to.

I would really advise against private loans. If you can get federal loans, do. Always go for the subsidized Standard loans, because the government pays interest on them while you're in school. I graduated in 2009 with private loans, and they had 8% interest. It sucks. The FASFA will tell you the amount you're eligible for, in subsidized and unsubsidized loans.  Like, avoid private loans like the devil. Always use the government money first. Since you're 27, and considered independent, you might receive a pell grant, which you won't have to pay back.

You're not able to fill out the 2014-2015 FASFA yet. Watch this website to see when it's available.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/options.htm

You can check the status of the FASFA a week or so after you've filed it. You'll check the status online.

This website is amazingly helpful and is the source for the FASFA info you might need. It's by the government and it's not a third party site.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Ayalah

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »
Thank you so much StoryDreamer! That really helps! The school is an Equestrian College called Meredith Manor.  No doubt many folk on the site have heard of it. We'll be moving to WV if I get accepted, and can navigate all this ^.^ The family business has always been horses. Unfortunately that side of the family lives in the South, so i didn't grow up in the thick of it. They are willing to offer me a good position in the business if I can get the proper training under my belt. Right now I just ride for fun. I'm really hoping all this will work out!

And thank you for the encouragement Kaoskat!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
*looks at the date8  It will be too late to apply to get in for september, All I remember is that applications start early int he year and are only open for a few months.

Looks like you have some valid info though--goodluck :D

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Ayalah

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
It's ok Melody's angel. I don't plan to start until the March 14 or June 14 quarters.

flyawayraven

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
I will back up StoryDreamer on the student loans: do NOT get private loans until you've exhausted all other options. Unlike federal loans, private loans will haunt you and are one of the few types of debt not guaranteed to be erased by bankruptcy.

Ayalah

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Noted ^.^ Thanks for the heads up!

flyawayraven

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
Noted ^.^ Thanks for the heads up!

You're very welcome! ^^

My wife's parents took out private loans through Sallie Mae and we're looking at $90,000 to pay back and climbing. Student loans and private colleges are evil. -_-

Ayalah

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Yes, my husband got a loan through sallie mae. Now his credit is shot! Every time I hear the name I cringe. It keeps climbing and climbing.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:46 AM »
Yeah, don't do private loans if you have any other options available (and there usually are other options.)  You should have no problem qualifying for a Pell grant as well.  Good luck!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal