collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So Soft Question  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
So Soft Question
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
Last month I was at a comic convention and this booth had a good amount of G1 ponies, with a few G2s. Sadly they were overpriced for their condition. :( Anyways, they had a little shoe box with ponies that had defects like, a Gusty with a chewed horn, another pony with an obvious hair cut and some with pen/marker markings. I saw an SS Ribbon that was in decent condition, but had marker around her eyes and a little marker on one of her right symbol. I bought her for a few bucks thinking I could just deflock her, but what I'm worried about is that the marker seeped through. She's a gorgeous pony. Has anyone else had to deal with this or have any advice? Here are a couple of pictures.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So Soft Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
You could try sun fading the marker out before deflocking her. She looks too nice to deflock straight away. :/

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
It could go either way for her.  I unfortunately don't have before pictures, but this Magic Star had black marker completely covering her symbols.  There was no trace of it once she was deflocked:

On the other hand, this Magic Star did not fair as well.  I didn't take a photo between deflocking and sunfading so just imagine hot pink stains under every one of those pink spots (pretty sure they were all nail polish though there may have been lipstick involved as well). 

She did turn out pretty nice in the end although I had to sacrifice her blush:

I don't know if you can sunfade the flocking - it may just end up yellowing the glue.  However, you can certainly sunfade her after deflocking if some did bleed through.  I would probably try cleaning first just for the experience in cleaning So Softs - if you accidentally damage the flocking at least it will happen to one that may need to be deflocked anyway rather than one you wanted to keep flocked.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
Wow! Magic Star looks gorgeous! You did a lovely job!

I'll give cleaning a shot and if that doesn't work I'll probably just deflock if sunfading is only going to yellow the glue. Thanks for the advice! She's definitely in good condition for a so soft and I wouldn't want to deflock her unless it was a last resort even though it was my initial thought as I thought it was the only thing I could do. I didn't think of trying to clean up the marker before trying to deflock!

I also have a So Soft Sundance that is all yellow. Should I just go ahead and deflock her?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:29:42 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
she looks kinda nice yellow. XD Yellow and pink have always been a favourite colour combo of mine though. XD p.s that monster high mouse is amazing.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Ribbon's marker marks will most likely to away with deflocking.

Sundance, it's most likely her glue that's yellow so if she were mine I'd try deflocking her to see what's underneath.

Good luck with your girls :)
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Why not try sunfading on Ribbon? What have you got to lose? Her flocking does look quite lovely otherwise...
SS Sundance... she already comes NSS, she looks like she has decent flocking still... I probably wouldn't deflock her. If you really want a NSS one I'm sure you could find one cheap. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
Wow- those are some gorgeous restores!

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
posting again with some actual advice this time.
have you tried soaping her up gently and lightly scrubbing with a soft toothbrush? if a child drew on her it might be washable pen so should come out fairly easily.

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
Why not try sunfading on Ribbon? What have you got to lose? Her flocking does look quite lovely otherwise...
SS Sundance... she already comes NSS, she looks like she has decent flocking still... I probably wouldn't deflock her. If you really want a NSS one I'm sure you could find one cheap. :o)

I might try that rather than go straight to deflocking. Her flocking is really nice. The only loss of flocking is underneath her hooves, which is minimal and you can't even see that when she's standing. I just assumed that I would have to deflock her right away. I never though of sunfading a so soft.

I already have two NSS Sundances so I figured a third wouldn't hurt if there's no way to make her white again. The flash makes her look a ton more yellow than she actually is. She looks more like a cream color. She does look kinda cute with that color, but will need to get cleaned since she's dirty. :lol:

posting again with some actual advice this time.
have you tried soaping her up gently and lightly scrubbing with a soft toothbrush? if a child drew on her it might be washable pen so should come out fairly easily.

I actually did that earlier today before work. I took an old toothbrush, ran it under some cold water, put some soap on it and gently scrubbed the marks. The marker on her symbol is almost completely gone. The marker around her eyes barely faded. I'm going to try sunfading.

Thanks to those who have convinced me to try and sunfade first. If it's really nice out tomorrow, I will set her out.
-Bow Tie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »
If you do decide to try and sun fade her, while I understand you have nothing to loose, it will most likely further break down her glue which turns it yellow and can make it pretty tough to remove. Personally I dont think sun fading will have much affect on stains on the surface, however she is a very popular [and more valuable pony oddly] when she has been deflocked - so you could even deflock her and sun fade if require and then trade her for a nicer so soft version if you wished!

I am sure you will get her looking lovely either way.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
If you do decide to try and sun fade her, while I understand you have nothing to loose, it will most likely further break down her glue which turns it yellow and can make it pretty tough to remove. Personally I dont think sun fading will have much affect on stains on the surface, however she is a very popular [and more valuable pony oddly] when she has been deflocked - so you could even deflock her and sun fade if require and then trade her for a nicer so soft version if you wished!

I am sure you will get her looking lovely either way.

That's what I'm worried about the most. If it's just going to turn the glue yellow and not actually help her, I might as well deflock her. Her flocking is in lovely condition, but I would rather have her deflocked like I originally planned than have marker on her face. I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks! :)
-Bow Tie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
I can understand you being reluctant as her flocking looks really nice. For me its mainly because she is not a hard to find so soft and she is not exactly in minty condition even with the flocking.

As long as you are happy with your decision :) You should just ignore the rest of us!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »
she looks kind of like a bandito.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
SS Sundance... she already comes NSS, she looks like she has decent flocking still... I probably wouldn't deflock her.

Ditto. :) I have a Cupcake who is mostly creamish, but her flocking is just about picture-perfect. I'm amazed to hear that maybe it's her glue and not actually her that's yellow, but I don't think I could bear to deflock her to find out. It's such soft, thick flocking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal