collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: unusual pets  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Re: unusual pets
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Ohhh, I've had lots.  Steppe Lemmings (a personal favorite), Tortoises, Brazilian Opossums, Sugar Gliders, Lotsa snakes. Some semi-exotics, Hedgehogs. 

I have also worked with big cats, otters, and various other stuff. But we don't have the space on our current property to keep one of those. I do plan to get a serval once the mortgage is paid off, and a pair of asian otters.

For the people who 'don't get it'. It is that simple: you don't get it. You don't need to get it. I don't understand why anyone would want a motorcycle. I don't understand the allure of the domestic cat (serious BLEH!). I don't 'get it' why anyone would want to waterski. And you don't 'get it' why I would want a pet tiger. Just because you don't approve or understand 'the need' doesn't mean you should rag on those who want something.

This------>  I think it is a "HEY LOOKIT MY COOL DEADLY/PRETTY THING" thing.  Has absolutely nothing to do with it. I only show or talk about my exotics to others who keep similar things. The average person doesn't even KNOW what I have, let alone get to see it. I keep them for me, for my interest.  It's nobody else's business. I have found that the average 'know nothing' 'do goody' 'self righteous' opinionated person who doesn't 'get it' is more of a bother than they are worth.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:43:15 PM by Thunderwing »

SparklersOasis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
Currently, the only 'strange' pet I have is a pair of leopard geckos.  And honestly, to me, the strangest thing about them is my little wild morph "George" is 19 years old and I've had her for 18 of those years.  My other Leo, "Mikey," is around 9, and I've had him for five years.  My next 'critter' is most likely going to be some type of snake, most likely a ball python. 

In my career and education, I've worked with a huge variety of animals.  Some I consider 'pets' the rest I consider that the people caring for them are more caretakers than owners.  A good example is the birds of prey that were technically owned by the wildlife clinic I volunteered at.  All of the resident birds of prey were debilitated in a way that prevented them from ever being released in the wild (paralyzed limb, debilitating arthritis, etc.).  But I would never consider them 'pets.'  The Great Horned Owl, Nokomis, was most definitely a wild animal and you had to respect that, or you would likely get hurt.  IMO, 'dangerous' animal like that need to be respected.  Props to anyone that can provide an appropriate home, but I wish that most people would thoroughly research the care, time, and effort that goes into keeping some of these animals. 

For example, my younger leo was a rescue from a home that got him because their two boys thought a lizard would be 'cool.'  They didn't realize how long they lived, that they preferred live crickets, that the sand bedding he was one was potentially lethal, etc etc etc. 

Sorry, but in my line of work, this subject really gets me riled!  Especially when I have to deal with the consequences.

Mikey when I first got him:
http://sparklersoasis.deviantart.com/art/Mikey-Closeup-82647278

George about the same time:
http://sparklersoasis.deviantart.com/art/Mikey-Closeup-82647278
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:27:36 PM by SparklersOasis »

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
The most exotic pets I have owned have been my hedgehog that passed about five years ago, and my axolotls that I have now. :)

Flula
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Leta (now living at my boyfriend's house :P )

And I also have a wild type juvenile but I don't have any good pictures of him. :p

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
I keep them for me, for my interest.  It's nobody else's business. I have found that the average 'know nothing' 'do goody' 'self righteous' opinionated person who doesn't 'get it' is more of a bother than they are worth.

This is a terrible attitude. This is why so many exotic "pets" end up in sanctuaries.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
I have always wanted a lamb, but because I live in the city I can't have one.

What would you do if the lamb got older? :lol:
I really hope my living conditions will one day allow for some chickens, ducks and a few sheep or goats. I love them and I could use the free eggs, milk and wool ^^

Oh I would love it as an adult.  I want to start with a baby though as you bond with them better when they are babies.  They will trust you more as an adult sheep if you have them when they are young.   At least this is what I have been told since they are not the smartest according to those who have herds.

^ True. Sheep grow up to be smarter and more courageous than one would expect when raised with and nursed by humans.

I had quite a few as a child/teenager. We lived in the countryside, though it wasn't a farmhouse. Technically the sheep weren't mine but involved in a landscaping project. I thought of them as my pets nevertheless, took them to walks, taught them to rear and other silly things. They were taken inside for the winter but the owner was kind enough to pick some familiar sheep to be returned to me every summer. :) Not very productive, but she didn't have enough room to make all of her ewes lamb every spring and I got the non-lambing ones.

Here's my favourite, Multa (passed away in 2008). Multa's not her real name, but I renamed her since I thought the original name sucked. I gave new names to almost all of them lol

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »
one day, when i finally get my own place, i would love to have a pet skunk. I just love them  ^.^

I also love coatimundis, however after much research they would not be a good pet for me

anyone on here own any unusual animals?

My grandfather had a skunk and an opossum as pets. Both were very cool. Can't do that legally here in Cali anymore. I keep frogs and geckos :lovey:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
I've heard horror stories of people getting cobalt blue tarantula (medium metallic blue tarantulas) because they're pretty but don't look up the temperament. They're notorious for being psychotic little hellions that are fast, nippy, and have a temper.

My Arachne wants to eat me and it's just too adorable! And she has just the sweetest face ever! She's a Brazilian Salmon Pink. I chose a doozy for my first tarantula! Hubby's been keeping them since he was 12 though and he takes care of her really. I just watch her and tell him when she wants more water. I love her to bitty bits though and her crazy is just plain awesome! She was so TEENY when we got her, Hubby warned me repeatedly that some babies just don't make it. I was so obsessive about making sure she was cared for that she survived and grew. She's still no where near what she will be but she's lots bigger than she was! She gets alot bigger each shedding than our other tarantulas do. It's amazing that huge thing came out of that tiny shell each time!.......And I've just gone off on another crazy tarantula tangent.....I'm sorry......

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:02 AM »
I keep them for me, for my interest.  It's nobody else's business. I have found that the average 'know nothing' 'do goody' 'self righteous' opinionated person who doesn't 'get it' is more of a bother than they are worth.

This is a terrible attitude. This is why so many exotic "pets" end up in sanctuaries.

well that escalated quickly, i didn't want a scary debate. Calm your passions Thunderwing. When I said I dont know why people keep dangerous animals it is truly because I dont know why people would want to risk their life on a daily basis.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »
I have a service goat :P   My town hasnt given me any problems so far. everyone loves him.   thats the only semi exotic animal i own.   other than that i have a horse and a dog but lots of people have those. :)
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 03:42:44 AM »
I haven't ever had anything too exotic, however I do own a freak for a cat lol. My baby boy (he's 14 this year) Jack the tabby. He has one bright blue eye and one yellow, he was born like this, and apparently although wall eyed cats do happen, it is never really seen in a "coloured" cat, most of the time pure white kitties or predominately white. The only white he has is a little patch under his chin.

The worst I think I have had is axolotl's as a child, hermit crabs, and I had a couple of turtles too. Nothing too out there however :)

I want a penguin however, apparently they stink though and eat a lot of fish, but, they are so darn cute and cheeky. Or a gibbon, I fell in love with them when I visited the melbourne zoo, they are so little and fluffy and just adorable. I understand why we aren't allowed to have strange pets in most countries, but it kinda sucks lol.

A work friend of mine from a previous job went and stayed with a friend in Africa that had not one, not two but THREE black panthers, that all lived in the house for most of the time. She didn't even know for three days that there were animals inside, and freaked out when a big, black mass crawled onto the end of her bed one night for warmth lol. I think owning a big cat as a pet (like a panther or tiger) would be awesome! They are so regal, and pretty.

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »
Fingerpaints, your cat is gorgeous! I've never seen an odd-eyed tabby.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Nah, most 'exotic' for me would be out pond koi :)  We did have a celestial fish a few years ago but it didnt work out too well.  Poor thing didnt get allong with the others :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
The most exotic pets I have owned have been my hedgehog that passed about five years ago, and my axolotls that I have now. :)

Flula

Leta (now living at my boyfriend's house :P )

And I also have a wild type juvenile but I don't have any good pictures of him. :p

Those guys are seriously neat!   

Fingerpaints- your cat is a cutie :D

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
I have never seen a critter like that, but very cool.  Most exotic pet I have is a 41 yr old hubby.  ;) 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I've heard horror stories of people getting cobalt blue tarantula (medium metallic blue tarantulas) because they're pretty but don't look up the temperament. They're notorious for being psychotic little hellions that are fast, nippy, and have a temper.

My Arachne wants to eat me and it's just too adorable! And she has just the sweetest face ever! She's a Brazilian Salmon Pink. I chose a doozy for my first tarantula! Hubby's been keeping them since he was 12 though and he takes care of her really. I just watch her and tell him when she wants more water. I love her to bitty bits though and her crazy is just plain awesome! She was so TEENY when we got her, Hubby warned me repeatedly that some babies just don't make it. I was so obsessive about making sure she was cared for that she survived and grew. She's still no where near what she will be but she's lots bigger than she was! She gets alot bigger each shedding than our other tarantulas do. It's amazing that huge thing came out of that tiny shell each time!.......And I've just gone off on another crazy tarantula tangent.....I'm sorry......
No apologies needed! Talking spiders is always a good time.

You got a big ole spider there! I bet the crazy from that one is pretty spectacular to watch as long as it's not aimed towards a person. Fast ones scare me slightly since I've taken way too many bugs to the face (I do macro photography of the mantises in my backyard and for some reason they like faces) and a tarantula is not one I want there.

TwistedWindSox: I love your axolotls! They look so happy all the time!

Duster reference]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal