collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: unusual pets  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
Re: unusual pets
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »
A pet skunk would be so cool!
There isn't the wide range of possible pets in Australia as there is in other countries.

I do have a couple of geckos, and a garden snail named Fibonacci.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
My sister and I used to have a pet skunk who was descented.

Before anyone starts booing me, Powder the skunk was an albino. Albinos have very little chance of survival in the wild. She was found as a newborn after her mom was hit by a car. Hand reared. She was wonderfully sweet until she got that brain parasite from some raccoon poop she must have found when we had her out on a leash. Didn't even know she ate it until she started behaving erratically a couple months later. Trip to the vets said she was blind and having seizures. We had her put to sleep to keep our fuzzy friend from suffering anymore.

Borg Rat says "resistance is futile, pet me now!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:13:07 AM by bluechaos »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
My sister and I used to have a pet skunk who was descented.

Before anyone starts booing me, Powder the skunk was an albino. Albinos have very little chance of survival in the wild. She was found as a newborn after her mom was hit by a car. Hand reared. She was wonderfully sweet until she got that brain parasite from some raccoon poop she must have found when we had her out on a leash. Didn't even know she ate it until she started behaving erratically a couple months later. Trip to the vets said she was blind and having seizures. We had her put to sleep to keep our fuzzy friend from suffering anymore.

Borg Rat says "resistance is futile, pet me now!"

Poor thing! 

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
We have three tortoises. I'm planning on getting some hissing cockroaches and a tarantula when I move back home, either a Mexican redknee or a chaco goldenknee. Something slow and sweet.

Havacrumpet I'm totally jealous of your giant millipede. They're so cool!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:22:19 AM by Corona »

Duster reference]

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
I had a bearded dragon at one point time! The only exotic-like pet we have at our house right now is my sister's fat-tailed gecko.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

pixieponies

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »
Jinxxy your rats are so cute, when my boys are old enough their first pets will be rats

before the recession took away my life we had royal pythons, geckos and a very grumpy blue tail monitor (i miss those guys  :()

we also used to breed feeder mice / rats (my husband controlled the gas chamber i couldn't do it)

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
I grew up with a pet wolf. I did find an (old) paper picture of her- I need to get those old things scanned in.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »
I had a pet goat when I lived on my mom's farm. 

Now my uncle's had some weird pets ... including a mountain lion.  I don't agree with that and I don't quite understand the need, but he sure enough had one.  He ended up taking her to an animal sanctuary later on in life.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

pixieponies

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
if i had a farm/small holding i would love a pygmy goat

i agree Evicorn about dangerous exotic pets, i don't understand why people keep venomous snakes

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
If moths and butterflies count then I have raised a few of them.

Englishgothgirl

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
Skunks

Hairless Guinea Pigs

Sugar Gliders

Snakes

Lizards

Name it and I've probably had it

Hexi

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
Depends on the rat! I have some that are very hyper and "go-go-go" personalities, but some (especially my boys!) are content to fall asleep on my lap and cuddle away :)
He is a petshop rat so has never liked too much handling. he will tolerate us holding him and stroking him now he's older but he'd rather ignore us. lol. sometimes you are permitted to scratch his side when he's in the bed but he's much happier cuddling up by our feet. His brother was more tolerant but had to be put down in Jan. :(
Next time i get ratties i am getting them from a breeder. i need fuzzy things to cuddle. C:

Englishgothgirl

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
I know a few people who keep venemous snakes and some are beautiful

But I think for most its the rush, the adrenalin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:38:31 PM by gothpony »

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »
i agree Evicorn about dangerous exotic pets, i don't understand why people keep venomous snakes
I think it is a "HEY LOOKIT MY COOL DEADLY/PRETTY THING" thing. It's pretty obvious in tarantula keeping when someone is clueless and decides to get a tarantula because it's massive or pretty. Then they're surprised when the twelve inch wide spider is aggressive and throws fangy hissy fits.

I've heard horror stories of people getting cobalt blue tarantula (medium metallic blue tarantulas) because they're pretty but don't look up the temperament. They're notorious for being psychotic little hellions that are fast, nippy, and have a temper.

Duster reference]

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
I have always wanted a lamb, but because I live in the city I can't have one.

What would you do if the lamb got older? :lol:
I really hope my living conditions will one day allow for some chickens, ducks and a few sheep or goats. I love them and I could use the free eggs, milk and wool ^^

Oh I would love it as an adult.  I want to start with a baby though as you bond with them better when they are babies.  They will trust you more as an adult sheep if you have them when they are young.   At least this is what I have been told since they are not the smartest according to those who have herds.

Post Merge: May 21, 2013, 07:24:20 PM

My dad had a pet skunk as a kid- (his dad was a magician oddly enough, and the skunk was in the act at some point).
They had a monkey too- she was around up until when I was a little kid (they live a long time). She always looked so terrifying and sad at the same time.  THey weren't the best of "pets".  Wild animals can be super sweet as babies- but they get more aggressive and unpredictable as they become adults.  It's really just their nature.

I am grateful that most places, THESE days, you are not allowed to keep wild animals as pets- you need a license or permit (depending on where you live).

A word of free legal advice if you live in the U.S. and keep any kind of wild animal as a pet-  even a little cute one, even if you have the proper license/permit/etc.  most states have something called "strict liability" for wild animals- even those without any propensity for aggression (parrots/sugar gliders).   That means even if someone is visiting your house (maybe even without your permission) - pets/teases/touches your pet (say even after warning) and gets bit, the bite gets infected, goes septic-  guess who's paying for the medical bills, "emotional distress" damages, and pain and suffering damages if they come after you?  That's right, you.  And most homeowner's insurance policies do not cover such things- so be careful!

We have this law even with dogs for sure.    Also if your dog bites a child they can in many cases without your will put it down if the attack was bad enough.  I have seen cases like that here in Houston numerous times.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:26:59 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal