collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever After High Discussion Thread!  (Read 36278 times)

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Ever After High Discussion Thread!
« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
The packaging is epically cute.  And the dolls are cute but something about them isn't doing it for me.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I see them in person.  Kind of a relief, I don't think I could afford to collect both these and MH.  The thing I love about MH is that they were sooo different from other dolls--the main character of the line was green, after all!  These just make me think of Barbies with MH bodies.  I'll still probably buy a few though.  I'll have to have Maddie for Pinkie Pie, they'd probably get along great.

WhiteHeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
I don't see a pet in the box.   :|  They aren't too important to me, but I like the added detail.

As long as Maddie gets Earl Grey I'm not too fussed about them not all having pets.  It would be fun to see though.  maybe they will be included with the final dolls or with a different version of them, though it would make the most sense with the signature ones.  I know there were a lot of pet names trademarked along with Earl Grey so hopefully we'll see more of them!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #317 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
They look interesting :D Very cute, and the line has potential.

Still, that's a lot of pale blondes... I really hate to be That Guy, but I hope they plan on introducing some POC characters that aren't like, just made out of wood. Briar Beauty is ok, but if I recall correctly MH started with Cleo AND Clawdeen right off the bat as major characters :(

It just seems like a step backwards, though unfortunately I think that's what sells.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
Hopefully they don't do what MGA Did with Bratzilla & Novi Stars and sell their pets separately.

Still, that's a lot of pale blondes... I really hate to be That Guy, but I hope they plan on introducing some POC characters that aren't like, just made out of wood. Briar Beauty is ok, but if I recall correctly MH started with Cleo AND Clawdeen right off the bat as major characters :(

It just seems like a step backwards, though unfortunately I think that's what sells.
You're not the only one. I would've been way more excited if they introduced an Asian character from an eastern folklore/fairytale as one of the main characters, who knows, maybe they will down the line.
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

WhiteHeather

« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »

I think part of it is the fairy tales and stories they are based on are very European centric.  I bet that as the line expands and gets more popular that they'll explore fairy tales from more diverse cultures and we'll see more races represented, at least I hope so!  I wouldn't really call it a step back though, they are just starting with stories that are going to be familiar to the widest audience and those stories happen to be mostly western European.  I am with you on hoping we see more diversity in the future though!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Still, that's a lot of pale blondes... I really hate to be That Guy, but I hope they plan on introducing some POC characters that aren't like, just made out of wood.

Definitely agreed.  That's the big thing about the line that bugs me, is the lack of diversity.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
I have to say I love ravenand maddie

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
The dolls are pretty cute..but look like they all have the same faces~

Can't wait to see them in person and decide if I'll pick up a few. I'm with ya'll on the Maddie train, gettin her for sure! :heart:

It'll be fun to see where this goes and what gets made and hopefully some new characters as well. I'm hoping for more boys and all the SHOES.  :P

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
Hopefully they don't do what MGA Did with Bratzilla & Novi Stars and sell their pets separately.

You're not the only one. I would've been way more excited if they introduced an Asian character from an eastern folklore/fairytale as one of the main characters, who knows, maybe they will down the line.
i  third this!  I would love to see them incorporate some folk tales from around the world in this line.

Post Merge: May 30, 2013, 11:39:49 PM

I think part of it is the fairy tales and stories they are based on are very European centric.  I bet that as the line expands and gets more popular that they'll explore fairy tales from more diverse cultures and we'll see more races represented, at least I hope so!  I wouldn't really call it a step back though, they are just starting with stories that are going to be familiar to the widest audience and those stories happen to be mostly western European.  I am with you on hoping we see more diversity in the future though!

i hope so!
  they do have alit of sterotypical blondes...
i felt that while apple is cute, it is sort of to bad they didn't give her black hair like here mum.  or even red hair like a red apple.. ( i guess she is like a golden apple LOL)
But at least they gave sleeping beauty brown hair.  she could have been blonde too like ashelynn

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:39:49 PM by mistic_imp »

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »
I wonder what other fairy tales we will be seeing :wonder: There are so many possibilities! Little ermaid, princess and the pea, prince and the pauper, how about a fairy godmother? Or son of the gingerbread man?
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »

Yep, plenty of blond diversity, I think I saw about 4 different shades of blond...no wait, five blonds, counting the female narrator iirc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:48:34 PM by bewilderness »

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2013, 11:54:51 PM »

You aren't the only one. That's the big argument on tumblr right now.

Post Merge: May 30, 2013, 11:56:31 PM

That is my guess too as to why there isn't much diversity right now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:56:31 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

elonni

« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
Yeah, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't like them either. I will buy some of them (I want Maddy, Raven, Cerise and Kitty), but I don't plan to really collect them. At least not yet. I have quite enough with MH, Pullips and BJDs.

WhiteHeather

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »

i hope so!
i felt that while apple is cute, it is sort of to bad they didn't give her black hair like here mum.  or even red hair like a red apple.. ( i guess she is like a golden apple LOL)
But at least they gave sleeping beauty brown hair.  she could have been blonde too like ashelynn

Yeah, it is a little strange to see a Snow White themed doll with blonde hair.  I guess they didn't want to make her too Disney-esque, but given that the story specifically talks about Snow White's black hair I think they should have gone with it anyway, or at least a darker color and not blonde!  Still she does look adorable so I can't complain too much about that.  I'm glad they at least made Ashelynn a strawberry blonde and not straight golden blonde like Blondie and Apple though and it's nice to see a Sleeping Beauty character with brown hair. 

As far as more conventional fairy tales go, I hope we see Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid sometime in the future.  I'd love to see a Little Mermaid one that has removable legs like the CAM dolls with a mermaid tail that can be swapped in like from the Siren set.  That would be amazing. I'm definitely hoping they branch out though.  There are some really beautiful Chinese and Japanese fairy tales that would be great to include!  There is just far too much I'd love to see from this line.  I don't want to think about it too much because then I'll also think about all the money I'm going to spend...

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »
I just saw the webisodes finally, and I did enjoy them, but some things I noticed. (plus one thing I'll nitpick)

Loved the style of how they drew the characters and everything, but after watching Raven & Apple's story, it seems practically the opposite of MH with the being yourself to suddenly being what you're expected to be. Where instead of embracing difference or being yourself and what with the flaws and all, their headmaster would rather have them be all cookie cutter daughters and have them live the same life their parents lived. I guess for their premise of going *poof* if they didn't follow their parent's legacy, that makes sense, but it's just something cool I noticed. :lol:

My only nitpick, Daughter of the Mad Hatter. She's pretty, she's an awesome design and all that good stuff. She may even be one of my favorite girls, but *Hides from fakies being thrown at her* Blargh she reminds me too much of Pinkie pie. >,>; I mean, I know she's the daughter of the Mad Hatter so it's kinda expected, but her randomness for some reason just reminds me way too much of her. :(  and I'll leave it at that without going too much into off-topic details. :P

I wonder when Cupid is gonna make her debut! XD
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal