collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For those with limited space, How do you manage your collection?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I'm not 100% sure if there has been a thread similar to this before but for those of you who don't have rooms or large amounts of space to dedicate to your collection, How do you keep your collection small enough so that it doesn't start swamping all of your living space?

lol, I guess what I mean is, how do you control your Pony collecting and decide what you need and what you can do without while maintaining a decently sized collection that can be managed without taking up insane amounts of space? I'm also guilty of getting everything I see that I want without actually considering whether I have room for it or not, I usually just figure it out later, lol.

Right now, my Ponies are mostly displayed in the living room of my apartment on the shelving that surrounds my TV and entertainment setup, but I am starting to get really into Monster High as well and I don't want my collections to start overtaking everything else. I always seem to find extra space when I get a new item but eventually I won't be able to keep doing this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Acheron187

Re: For those with limited space, How do you manage your collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
I have somewhat of the same issue, but that's just cause my bedroom is a mess

PaintedMoogle

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
I live in an itty-bitty studio apartment with only two real rooms: the living/bedroom and a kitchen.  ^_^  I collect both ponies and MH as well, and my solution for not letting them take over is to rotate the collection.

I keep some on display in my living area, and keep the rest in a storage container out of sight so they don't get too cluttered.  I switch what I have out when I yearn for something I've stored away, and it keeps my collection feeling fresh and interesting!

That's what works for me anyway.  ^_^

Acheron187

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I actually do a similar system, I just rotate older versions out of my collection. Like I own a deluxe moving RD, so I gave my standard brushable RD to my brother.

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »
mlp suitcase and/or plastic bins keeps them safe. I'm not comfortable putting them in boxes and leaving ponies in the basement = mold/bugs. And to wonder what dampy environments would do to plastic. I dunn wanna know. :c
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:01:23 PM by Cron Sacchariferous »

roselalonde

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
Even though I live in a nice house I still really can only put my ponies in my room. Usually I put them on my desks, nightstand, and I have a few shelves that can hold 6 ponies and 3 Monster High dolls. I also display all my MIB MH girls on my windowsill. The rest of my ponies reside on my manga collection, seeing as though I don't read them much anymore.

lupachiotta

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
I only have two rooms to put things in and several growing collections (Breyer, resin model horses, MH, Tonner dolls, MLP, wolves). I FIRST have to limit what I buy by really considering which collection I want to add to when I have the moolah...and whether or not I REALLY, really love/need it for that certain collection. I also sometimes consider size. Then, sadly, some of them go into storage for when I have more space. I occassionally go through the storage collections to see if there is anything i can live without and sell.  As for where they physically reside....all over. Wall shelves, book shelves, small curio cabinets on my desk, etc. I keep the collections together of course.

Dusting is a huge pain.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
Wall shelves and IKEA bookcases (if you have room). While I do have a hobby room, it's tiny and my collections are not allowed to leave that room. The IKEA bookcases have really allowed me to maximize my available space.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
I dealt and still deal with it (even though now I have ample space) by keeping my collection in storage... *shrug* Bins of double layer ponies allow me to have over 1000 ponies in less than 100sq ft, lol :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
I kept most of my ponies in plastic containers in a large wardrobe in one of my 4 bedrooms! Then I thought the grandkids would like to see them - so I emptied out a lots of books from a glass-fronted cupboard and displayed lots there!
Grandkids have NEVER asked to play with them (not sure that I would let them) - in fact I don't think they have even noticed them (5 are boys anyway)
Now hubby and I are contemplating downsizing to a smaller property and smaller house.......keep an eye on General and Nirvana sales! Some simply HAVE to go!!!  :yikes:

Here are some!

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
I save space by deboxing them! :p I used to collect in box ponies, but I wanted to brush them and save space so out they came! Freedom! Had I have not taken all my ponies out of their boxes, omg moving would have been HELL! Lolol

I am looking for small book cases with a lot of shorter shelfs meant for collectables. Ikea has some I really like! :D

cleverLC

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:49 AM »
I don't have a big collection, but I fit them in my bookshelf, in front of my books.  That way, the shelves do double duty!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
I purge when it gets too large!  I save my favorites and my childhood herd and start over again!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
I still live at home and share a room, so space is SUPER limited. Because of this, my ponies are not out on display. They are standing up in stacked under the bed boxes. As long as the boxes are tall and sturdy enough so the lids won't smoosh any poor unicorns, this has worked out great for me. I don't plan on living here for more than a few more years anyway, so not displaying them isn't all that upsetting to me. It will also be easy for me to move!

I don't collect playsets or any super-large pony items and I mostly just keep the ponies I absolutely love. There just isn't room! I try to be minimalistic with all my other stuff too and besides a mini lalaloopsy here and there, I don't collect much else anymore. :) A lot of it is actually being sold to fund more ponies...so at least there is somewhat of an equilibrium lol.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »
I guess I am the odd ball here right now posting. I do not have a space issue with storing my ponies. I own my own house and have a basement that is half not finished. So I keep them down there next to my laundry room. I do need to save up and get the fourth bedroom finished. That is going to be my pony room and they will all stay in there. I feel very lucky to have all of this room :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal