collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Multiple Questions from a Newbie  (Read 653 times)

nikit96

• Trade Count: (0)
Multiple Questions from a Newbie
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »
I'm starting to gain interested in previous generations but don't know where to start!

Anyone have recomendations as to which ponies I should buy to start my nonexistent collection?

Also I have received one or two G4 ponies from my parents as gifts, so should I open these or leave them mib?

Lastly what exactly are bait ponies?

Thanks for helping. (:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Questions from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Bait ponies well everyone has a different definition on the level of a pony being bait. More or less they are ponies that are beyond repair and people tend to use for customs or repair projects. Some have maybe a chewed up body part or something. There is actually a bait guide one member here has created.

I think start with whichever generation strikes your fancy or collect all of them! I'm a G1 collector myself since those were the ones I grew up with, but the other gens all have characteristics specifically for them. It's just personal preference. Maybe watch some of the shows or look through different pony albums to decide which one you might want to start with?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

nikit96

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »
Oh okay. Thank you.

What exactly are pony albums?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »
What exactly constitutes bait varies from person to person, but a good general definition is "damaged beyond reasonable ability to repair and common enough that it would have little value to most people."  The more scarce a particular pony, the less likely it is to be considered bait-able.   Baits are usually bought for customization.

You can try the mlp wiki, http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Main_Page  for browsing different generations.  As for where to start, well, start with whatever you like best, have space for, and can afford. :)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »
Baits are usually poor condition ponies that either get restored or customized. With the ponies you've got it's entirely up to you if you open them or keep them in the box as it's your collection. This counts for all generations as far as I'm concerned as your collection is yours to do with as you wish.

Check out artwork and movies etc to see what you like, you could even hop on ebay for a look at ponies to see if there's a nice one you fancy the look of. It's your preference.

Welcome to collecting  :biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

nikit96

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help. Ill get to it (:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
I think these are awesome suggestions :)

G4 ponies are all pretty common so I agree if you want to release them then go ahead, if you dont then leave them in their box. It doesnt make much of a difference in value and the generation is current enough that you should be able to enjoy them in whichever way makes you happiest.

As to other gens, checking out websites like http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/ and www.ponytopia.com are the best bet for seeing other ponies. I would simply look to buy the ones which take your fancy from those sites. Collecting is all about having fun and loving the ponies in your collection - so it seems logical that when expanding into collecting you start with the ponies you like best.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

nikit96

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »
Thanks for the websites. (:

shadowdreamer

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I collect mostly G4,but I know how your feeling, I want to collect other gens too, I started looking and making lists using http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4/IndexBB.html Strawberry Reef,because, not only do they have G4 collector stuff to look at,they have all the gens! I have started to like G1 and even understand more about my childhood G2 ponies! So good luck!

Moondancer Jaye

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
I agree with what our fellow pony fans mentioned: just go with what inspires you!!  :)

I'm a big G1 fan, as well as a G1 collector, especially the very very first ponies! Here's a fun site that could help you decide and/or stimulate your interest.

Dream Valley- A Collector's Gide to My Little Pony: http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
If your end goal with the G4 ponies is to sell them, you might as well leave them in box. If you want to keep them for yourself, let them breathe!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
You collect what you like. Have a look around on ebay and check out that strawberryreef site. That way you can look for a pony with the name. You can also look around here to see if you can find some good deals on that pony or ponies. Just be careful with ebay, ponies are be listed with very high prices. I like to look around and make of list of the ones I want. If you cant find the ones that you want at the price that you want. Then wait and just keep checking back. I have come along some great deal with being patient.

As for ponies in there boxes. That is all up to you. I myself is a NIB collector when I can afford it. I love to see the art on the boxes. And they also bring back a lot of great memories when I look at them. :)

I with you lots of luck with your pony hunting and buying :) 

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
Everyone gave you really good info so check out the sites and look around to see what Gens you'd like to collect. I myself collect G1, G3 and G4's but I'm focusing mainly on G4's right now.
Welcome to collecting :biggrin:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Buying lots on eBay (not individual ponies) is a great and relatively inexpensive way to kick start a collection. :) The G3 ponies are the ones that turn up most often in this fashion and are fairly cheap. G1 pony lots will probably finish at a high price and the ponies themselves often need cleaning. G4 lots don't come up that often and they are often fought over into the last seconds of the auction. G2 lots are virtually non-existant.

Most G3s are relatively cheap at the moment so it could be a nice place to start. Most are still in good condition as they haven't been exposed to the 30-odd years of grime and wear that G1s have.

Formerly known as BluePhoenix

cleverLC

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
An MLP newbie! :D  Welcome to the herd, nikit96!

G4's are mostly pretty common (especially the Mane 6, just because they get re-released so often) so de-boxing doesn't affect their value at all.  There are a few Fashion Style ponies that are hard to find (especially Applejack), and the wall-eyed pegasus with the bubbles on her flank (her name's caused some drama around the Internet, so it's censored here) is insanely expensive because it was a con exclusive, but anypony else tends to resell for around $6-15, tops, whether in the box or out of it.  I cut my mane 6 ponies' hair to match the show styles, just because it doesn't hurt the value right now while they're so plentiful.

The earlier generations of ponies are a bit more expensive, but fun to look for if you decide you like them.  (I'm a G1 fan myself.)  Occasionally, you'll come across a great price from a used G1 or G2 pony that just needs a wee bit of a scrub, usually from non-pony-collectors who are just trying to clear out old childhood toys.  G1s with haircuts are also a lot cheaper than their minty counterparts (not to be confused with the character Minty), which can be really nice if you want to try your hand at re-hairing.  G3 and 3.5 tend to be the least expensive to buy in good condition, just because they haven't been out as long as the others.

Basically, lurk the heck out of eBay and thrift stores if you want older gens, because you never know what treasures you'll find!  The Classifieds and For Sale threads here at the Arena are good too, because fellow collectors are going to point out all the little bits of wear and tear that non-pony-people won't notice.  Plus, you can trust Arena members not to flake on you, and we all care about making sure we sell/trade for reasonable prices.

If you don't mind knock-offs, "fakies" are fun to collect or customize.  I'm currently making a merry-go-round fakie into a new-baby gift.  They're usually cheaper than their Hasbro counterparts, some of them look really cute, and if you're interested in trying your hand at customs, they're a great way to start.

Some people also like to buy pre-release, error, or prototype ponies at TaoBao (the Chinese version of eBay, basically) because you can't get ponies quite like them in the States.  Most TaoBao ponies right now are G4, but I've seen a few G3's now and again.

If you decide customizing is your "thing," I'd recommend buying either ponies in "bait" condition, G4s, or the blank white G3 from the Hasbro website (they're in and out of stock a lot, but they're still available).

Whatever you decide you're into, pony-wise, someone else here at the Arena is also a fan of it, so feel free to ask us all lots of questions! I've found the folks here to be really helpful. :)

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with my novel-length post!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:47:05 PM by cleverLC »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal