collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, Whovians... (spoilers)  (Read 1313 times)

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So, Whovians... (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:25 AM »
i loved it, River and the doctor make such a great couple. their scenes are always brilliant

i admit i was confused by John Hurt, don't want to wait until November for the next series *stomps feet*

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
STEVE MOFFATT YOU EVIL GENIUS!!! *shakes fist* How do you make me laugh and cry at the same time?!?!?

I was very happy with this episode especially since I've thought the last few episodes were somewhat lackluster. Not that they were bad, just not as emotionally compelling as I've gotten used to. This one, though . . . wow!

I loved seeing River,even though it made me cry like a baby, and finding out more about Clara is great. I like her a lot, particularly because it's fun to see the Dr. being so fascinated with someone instead of the other way around.

I don't follow the lore behind the story at all, so I may be completely mistaken about this, but I thought that the show had developed in such a way recently that the Dr. is not limited in how many regenerations he gets anymore. I forget where I saw that, written down on the internet somewhere, so . . . for whatever it's worth.

November is a long time from now, but at least there's a specific date. Unlike the last "returning summer of blah blah blah . . ." That was awful. And there's the Dr.s Revisited stuff between now and then. I'm finding that really cool, especially now that they're starting to get into the Doctors of my childhood.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
Liked the clips of some of the old Drs, and references to Galifrey and the like, but a bit fed up of recent female companions being the most important people in the universe each series. Miss the days of David Tennant and Catherine Tate at the moment! Although I am feeling as if I should rewatch all episodes of Dr Who that still exist, not that I've got any on DVD apart from one recentish series.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
Liked the clips of some of the old Drs, and references to Galifrey and the like, but a bit fed up of recent female companions being the most important people in the universe each series. Miss the days of David Tennant and Catherine Tate at the moment! Although I am feeling as if I should rewatch all episodes of Dr Who that still exist, not that I've got any on DVD apart from one recentish series.
Speaking of, you know what would be fantastic? A series with Nine and Donna.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Gothic_Redemption

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • aaaAAAAAあああああああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
Their sass combined would annihilate the universe as we know it, however...

/人 ‿‿ 人\

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Nine and Donna would have amazing chemistry, but oh god, those two would really get into some yelling matches, I'm sure.

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
I'm not really a fan of Donna (and she also got the super special treatment when she became part Timelord!), but I do agree there appears to be a tendancy to make the companions super-duper-extra-mega special, which is a bit annoying. Personally, I liked Martha. Her specialness was really just her being a freedom fighter, which is kinda cool :)

I don't recall anything canonically about him not being limited in regenerations anymore, but as I mentioned above, there are always creative ways around things ;)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
How did I miss this thread!?!

Brilliant episode. I ll admit I started it with a little but of caution because I knew River was back and in my head I could not work out how they would make that work. I.e. were they just going to feature her for the sake of it or would she be a proper plot driver. I think they carried it off. [I am however loving the River "spoilers" pun in the title of this thread :P]

And LadyG, lol, "Valeyard" was what I started shouting at the television on Saturday night. But is it too obvious?

Role on November!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Fezzy

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »
I spent the whole episode swinging between 'yes! I love it!' and 'No, I don't like it D:'
Vastra was awesome and I liked River's bits for sure though.

I'm pretty sure 'let's kill Hitler' sorted the regeneration problem when River gave the doctor hers didn't it?
The 50th anniversary better be good to make up for all the confusion :P

Thanks Jupi, Bluepegasus and Sirithfin!
Fez Blogs: http://choctopus.blogspot.com/

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:25 AM »
Oh maybe - I can't remember much about that episode! The wiki page doesn't mention it when it comes to his regenerations though. Either way, I still hold to the 'creative ways around it' should the need arise ;)

I don't think Valeyard would be too obvious (they mentioned it in the episode a couple of times I think?), however I am wondering if it would be a bit too Old Who for the people who are primarily fans of New Who and might take a lot of explaining! It's been about 20 years since I saw the episodes myself!

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
I think the River thing just made him not die at that moment, and I really really hated that as a plot point. Actually, Let's Kill Hitler is about the time that season went irredeemably awful, imo.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
True...I ll admit its been a good decade since I remember seeing the episodes that most reference it. In some ways I hope that's who he is as its an excellent nod back and nice circle but at the same time I honestly dont have a problem with a random twist. Let the speculation continue I guess. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline hellapostalia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Hello sweetie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I loved the finale, was really happy they got back to some major plot points (the past few episodes have been a bit too 'freak of the week' for me... no major development in the underlying storyline).

I have heard rumors that the John Hurt 'doctor' is actually Dr. Who - before he was a full fledged Time Lord, before he took the name "Dr. Who"  ... some are calling him the '0' doctor (as opposed to the 1st, 5th, 9th doctor).

I don't know. I just love the speculation! Can't wait to see what the 50th has in store for us!!
:biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal