collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: my cat has dodgy knee caps now :(  (Read 835 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
my cat has dodgy knee caps now :(
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
my FIV cat hal has been diegnosed with dodgy knee caps (his knees click in and out of place )it doesnt hurt him  but is there any thing i could give him to make it happen a bit less and has anybody else had a cat with this the vet said there was an op he could do but it might make his fiv worse he's only 8 and the vet says he sees little toy dogs with this alot ! xaflame

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: my cat has dodgy knee caps now :(
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
Haven't heard of that in cats before. I hope you can find something to help!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
I don't know what to tell you as I've never dealt with this issue with an animal.  Hope someone can help!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
I assume u mean luxating patella since toy breed dogs get it. There are levels 1-4 on how bad it is and most vets dont opt for surgery unless its real bad. The surgery doesnt help 100% and comes with its own risks. Some ppl never do the surgery even at a grade 4 which is the worst. The best thing to work on is weight control. For a cat it may help to arrange furniture up to his favorite places so he takes smaller steps instead of leaps too.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:20:09 PM »
If they make it for cats, try a cosequin supplement.  My dog has this (not severe at all) and this is what was recommended to me.  Seems to help.  Also, weight control is very important.  Hope your kitty won't need the surgery!

Offline Aflame

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:06:54 AM »
well he had  actually lost a bit of waight when the vet waighed him, is cosequin available in the uk ?

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:14:54 AM »
if your puddy tat is on meds for the fiv, check first if he can have anything else :) i remember ringing a 24 hour vet late on a saturday night once to see if my then newly fiv diagnosed cat could still be treated with frontline :lol: my mum had a cat a few years back whose hip used to dislocate quite often - he ended up having his hip joint removed. but i totally feel for your cat, i have some of the worst knees going round :lol:

Offline Aflame

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »
no he is not on any meds for the fiv but does have powder to clear his sineses when he's got a cold so not regular
meds

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 06:35:49 AM »
I echo the cosequin comment if you can find it. Check your local pet stores. It really helps.

Next, weight control. Nuf said.

Finally, I know this may be hard with a cat, but try not to let the cat jump up to things. If you can, pick him up to the bed, sofa, etc. I understand you may not be able to do this all the time, but when you CAN, pick him up instead. It saves his knees a little because he won't risk popping it out while jumping.

Does he ever lift up her leg for a few steps and then put it back down?

Offline Aflame

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
I echo the cosequin comment if you can find it. Check your local pet stores. It really helps.

Finally, I know this may be hard with a cat, but try not to let the cat jump up to things. If you can, pick him up to the bed, sofa, etc. I understand you may not be able to do this all the time, but when you CAN, pick him up instead. It saves his knees a little because he won't risk popping it out while jumping.

yes very high ilke hes steping over some thing 3/4times then normal again

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »

yes very high ilke hes steping over some thing 3/4times then normal again

Yup. That's luxating patella. My dog has the same thing. Like I said cosequin is really helpful. I saw a drastic increase after putting my dog on it. Also making sure he doesn't jump if he doesn't have to will help.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
poor kitty! I hope you can make his life a bit easier with all the good tips here :) good luck!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »
Yep, good advice from everyone.  Each kneecap slides in a groove between 2 little ridges (one on each side).  If those ridges happen to be low, the kneecap can pop out of its groove.  So basically just do stuff so his knees won't have to work very hard.  Keep your kitty slim, as others have said, so his knees won't have to haul around a lot of weight.  Try to arrange furniture and stuff to discourage jumping, like maybe put a low chair or box or something next to the bed, so kitty can use it as a sort of step to jump onto the bed.  And Cosequin is a joint supplement that helps a cat's body make extra joint fluid, which will cushion the knees.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
*nods* I think you have a good place to start, hun <3  Fingers crossed things will work out with your kitty!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Aflame

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 01:36:21 AM »
well i got some nice oily maccrel for them i will give my other cat some to as i think she is getting artheritis where she broke her pelvis and hock joint 4years ago after being run down  i will also try to get some of that suppliment thanks peeps xaflame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal