collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SS Ponies --> washing machine?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Seraphia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
SS Ponies --> washing machine?
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:44:27 AM »
My SS Crumpet's flocking is awful, so I want to clean her up... so I was wondering if washing her in the washing machine would be a good idea?  :wonder:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: SS Ponies --> washing machine?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »
Hmm I've never tried it but I guess on a cold handwash setting it couldn't hurt? Not sure about the hair though?

Edit: but regular washing powder would probably de-flock her so I wouldn't put any of that in!

As someone who has the philiosophy of "if it fits through the washing machine door, it's having a wash in there" I'm actually a bit nervous about this so approach with caution!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:58:00 AM by Sarah-Bee »

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:00:26 AM »
I've never done it with SS's...plushies work great. If try with lesser value pony first just to be on the safe side.

Post Merge: May 14, 2013, 05:00:54 AM

Oh and always use cold water never hot that will deflock her for sure
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline RainbowRay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »
Hold on, are you wanting to remove the flocking or just clean it?

Either way, if you're going to try it I'd reccommend putting her in a pillowcase and tying it closed to protect her from bumps and scratches. That's what you do with plushies. Makes the wash extra gentle!

Offline unicornprincess

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »
I don't think the washing machine will be a good idea because all that knocking around in there, when its washing, could possibly make the flocking fall off even if its in something such as a pillow case. Even though this isn't a pony I have a Hasbro Sweetie Pup Collie that I was giving it a good bath in the sink because it smelled like it had been in someone's musty attic for years. The head is flocked. While washing the body I decided I would wash the head and around the ears and such. I thought what could possibly go wrong. I found out when I rinsed it off. Some of the flocking on the inside of the ears, which had been there before the washing, was now gone. I used nothing but cold water while washing and to rinse it off. Also the Collie has '89 stamped on the foot so its about the same age as some of the ponies.

Thank You Dorothy Rose for my adoptable

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »
If you want to deflock, the washing machine helps.  Or the dishwasher.  If you want to keep the flocking on, not so much.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Seraphia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! :) I hadn't planned to deflock her, but that is so interesting! Can you really deflock SS ponies in the washing machine? Or in the dishwasher? I mean, completely deflock them? Or does it just help to loosen the flocking?

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! :) I hadn't planned to deflock her, but that is so interesting! Can you really deflock SS ponies in the washing machine? Or in the dishwasher? I mean, completely deflock them? Or does it just help to loosen the flocking?

Seconding this question! As someone who has been deflocking the same pony for a year now I'd love this to be true!

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
Well, I have tossed 3 in the wash with some Oxy.  One almost completely deflocked that way.  The other 2, some came off.  One I tried an Oxy boil and did not make much more progress.  Methinks her flock is cemented on!  So, depends on the pony.  No Oxy in the dishwasher unless you want to deal with a foamed floor. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
I would say definitely no if you want to keep the flocking on :)

Every pony is a little different - mainly due to how the glue has broken down. With one pony a light wash will remove flocking with another a blow torch wont shift it! :P

I agree a gently wash in cold water and massage the flocking in circles rather than scrubbing. It takes a little time and effort in order to be as careful as possible but it will be worth it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
I really hope you can clean up her flocking before having to deflock! I would just sit with her in a cold sink and gently massage with your fingers to clean her up. I know you're not supposed to use bleach on ponies because it does bad things chemically with the plastic, but I wonder if you could just use a little bleach and water mix to whiten the flocking back up? Definitely don't try that, I'm just thinking out loud XD

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
My secret weapon against flocking grime is to use a SOFT BRISTLED childrens toothbrush, and wash in COLD water, ever so gently!

Use diluted bubbles (not soap poured directly on the pony, but bubbles) use something like softsoap and gently do small circles in the flocking until the dirt is gone.

Hot water can melt glue and it's a good idea to keep all harsh chemicals away from her.

Good luck!! Be sure to take before and after pics!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
Well, I have tossed 3 in the wash with some Oxy.  One almost completely deflocked that way.  The other 2, some came off.  One I tried an Oxy boil and did not make much more progress.  Methinks her flock is cemented on!  So, depends on the pony.  No Oxy in the dishwasher unless you want to deal with a foamed floor. 

Yep, while the two I put in didn't have flock loss, they didn't really come clean either. But maybe they were yellowed underneath.

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »
I would say definitely no if you want to keep the flocking on :)

Every pony is a little different - mainly due to how the glue has broken down. With one pony a light wash will remove flocking with another a blow torch wont shift it! :P

I agree a gently wash in cold water and massage the flocking in circles rather than scrubbing. It takes a little time and effort in order to be as careful as possible but it will be worth it.

^ I second this. Gentle hand/soft toothbrush wash in cold water. I've gotten good results with liquid detergent meant for silk, wool and sensitive fabrics. It's best to try on the underside of the hooves first to see if the glue holds at all.

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »

Yep, while the two I put in didn't have flock loss, they didn't really come clean either. But maybe they were yellowed underneath.
Funny you should mention that.  I don't recall my two being very dirty, just really bad flocking/no hair.  Maybe as a deflock tool the machine is possible, but not so much for cleaning.  On the other hand, the one I put in the dishwasher got cleaner. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal