collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Feeble Failer Yarn Hair Pony Disaster (photo inside) What to do?  (Read 473 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
After being inspired from seeing awesome perfume puff hair customs on here...
I picked up my coupon and went to the crafts store to give it a shot myself. I was super excited and bought some puffy fluffy looking yarn. The yarn certainly looked like what PP hair was made of, maybe if it was combed out. I rushed home to a prepped bait who had just been laying about for ages and started to add the yarn pieces, 1 strand at a time. After a few, I tried to test it with a pony comb and...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That. Feeble balding poor pony. When the yarn was combed, it came apart into a fluff! And some wierd, twizzly strings. It's super embarassing now. It should've been much longer but the ends fell off. It should've been much thicker less...thinning looking but combing it out of the 'yarn locks' turned it into that. It's a mess! You can't even pull on it or itll just come apart.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?
I'm super frusterated cause now I have this whole roll of pretty yarn and nothing to do w/it. I wasn't like super combing it either, just enough so it didn't look 'yarn' but that was too much for it, I guess. Was PP hair never yarn, and really something else the whole time? It's not a complete disaster, because she can just have the yarns removed and be customized into something else but meh.

I love exploring different types of hair but this one I think is a miss. Any help with the issue is much appriciated!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Feeble Failer Yarn Hair Pony Disaster (photo inside) What to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
A few questions.  What brand of yarn did you purchase?  Some are easier to fluff then others.  Also, what did you use to comb it out? All the yarns will suffer flocking loss, a good amount of it.

I love using the cheap pet shedding brushes with small metal spikes.  It handles the yarn like a dream!

Don't despair, it is a learning process. She's just not done yet!

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
I used (I think) Loops & Threads yarn's rainbow yarn roll (rustic type)
I used a pony comb (that most ordinary one, from the first 6 re-release blossom etc)

I had no idea that the PP type yarns are EXPECTED to lose a lot of it!
That would really explain it. I had imagined customizers buying like this perfect yarn or technique and then it not losing any hair at all when 'de stringed'.
I'll go out and buy one of those pet shed brushes right away like you recommend. I can't resist this hair type & I really want it to work.
Are there reccommended yarn brands too?
I've got "sugar n cream" yarn too, because it was on .99 cent sale & I'll be trying that as well.
Thank you for this post though, it does make me feel a lot better about it!

Offline blackestbird

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Make sure you're using an acrylic yarn. ^^

Here is a tutorial for creating smooth, realistic hair from yarn fiber, you could apply it to PP styling; omit the straightening step.
sig image coming back soon, oops!
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:54:26 AM »
You have to be really careful with yarn--different kinds are more useful for different things.  Wool is best when you're making cord on a lucet, microfiber and cotton are best for crocheting amigurumi, and acrylic is best for floofy powder-puffs.  Even stuff that says "wool" or "worsted" could be synthetic--I learned early on to always check the label to see what's REALLY in that little paper sleeve.

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
Thank you for this tutorial & advice!
I totally didn't know that there were brands (red hart) and types that wouldn't work PLUS ones that say on there and then are something else unless you really inspect the label. The tutorial is SO helpful too. I guess fuzz loss is a big part of the biz. I'm going to pull out these yarns and search up some new then get restarted. Thank you so much, I just had to post to say how helpful and great this is. You've really re-inspired me!

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:01:13 AM »
Thank you for this tutorial & advice!
I totally didn't know that there were brands (red hart) and types that wouldn't work PLUS ones that say on there and then are something else unless you really inspect the label. The tutorial is SO helpful too. I guess fuzz loss is a big part of the biz. I'm going to pull out these yarns and search up some new then get restarted. Thank you so much, I just had to post to say how helpful and great this is. You've really re-inspired me!

The composition of the yarn is usually listed right next to the recommended crochet hook and knitting needle sizes.  I'd take a picture, but all my skeins have been re-wound into little balls so I don't have a label to show you.  But once you know where to look, it's pretty easy.

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »
I did a pony for a commissioner who wanted the pony to look like someone with some wild poofy red hair.  It couldn't be done with regular nylon, etc. so I also went to the craft store.  By the time I was done rerooting and combing (I used a regular hair comb that I have set aside for my ponies, but was made for humans), my fiber loss pile was twice the size of the amount of hair I had on the pony... And I didn't even comb it out all the way!!  Here's a pic for reference on said fiber loss pile.  That girl had a lot of hair!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal