collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Promise ring... What do I do with you??  (Read 1711 times)

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Promise ring... What do I do with you??
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
My boyfriend gave me a promise ring today for our one year. It's nothing fancy, but the meaning behind it is more important than the price tag.
The only problem is, I can't seem to find a proper consensus on exactly what to do with it. What hand do I wear it on? Should I keep it on all the time? I'm not a big fan of wearing rings. It's also a bit too big and I'm afraid it may fall off and I could lose it. :( Would it be weird to wear it as a necklace?
I'm just wondering what everyone else here thinks about it, and if you had a promise ring, what exactly you did with it. No one seems to be able to tell me proper "promise ring etiquette", so I'm just looking for some advice. :)
Thanks!

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
Re: Promise ring... What do I do with you??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
I think promise rings may be a fairly new thing? Or a revived thing. I'm not sure... I jut know I haven't really heard of them until the last few years.

Folks I know who have promise rings do all sorts of different things with them! I've known some people who put theirs on a chain and worn it as a necklace. I've also seen them on all different fingers. If it were me, I'd put it on the finger that fits best.

There may be proper etiquette though haha. I'm really not sure!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
Awe, what a sweetie! and congrat's on your anniversary!

I didn't have one and am not sure on etiquette... however, I don't wear my wedding/engagement ring all the time.  Before I had kids I wore them to work and out with friends but not at home or when doing anything that could get them dirty/scratched. Now that I have kids, I only wear them on special occasions such as family dinners. I was never much of a ring person either and it took some getting used to (at first it felt like a tiny handcuff on my finger :P )

Well, I'm a google-addict so I looked it up and one site said any finger or hand will do for a promise ring. If you intend on getting engaged in the next 2 years, the engagement finger is preferred but not required. The right hand is okay too, as that way people don't confuse the promise ring for an engagement ring. Even the middle finger is okay for a promise ring though if that finger will fit it better.

Also, you can get a jeweler to size your ring. I had it done with a few rings and it wasn't that expensive from what I remember.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
I wore mine (when i had one) where one would normally wear a wedding ring.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:37:09 AM »
They are not very new. My mom in the 70s had a promise ring and I had one in the 90s.  :)

I wore mine on my right hand, but there are no rules to the promise ring. You just wear it where you are comfortable. If it is too big for your hands and you can't get it sized you can wear it on a chain next to your heart. I've known many people to do this too because wearing next to our heart is like keeping your love close to you at all times.

I'd say you should not wear it on you left hand because then people think you are engaged or married, but really that isn't a rule either.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:39:18 AM by Marigold »

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:38 AM »
I was under the impression that you wear it on your left hand. When I had a promise ring from my ex boyfriend I wore it on my right hand ring finger because he would get absolutely furious if I wore it on my left hand. Obviously we are not together anymore because I want to be wild and freeee... like a pony xD I think the necklace idea is really cute! I'm not a big ring person either :)

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »
Major congrats on your anniversary! ;D
I wear mine on my ring finger :> And he has one too and it makes him looked married but oh well. Keeps the ladies away! Hehe :silly: When we get engaged I will move it to my right hand ring finger ^^ I love the necklace idea though, super cute!
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
I wore mine on my right hand, middle finger (just where it fit)... I finally took it off at the end of last year. After 5 years of marriage I don't think I need to wear it anymore... (not when I have a lovely opal diamond combo to take its place).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »
Major congrats on your anniversary! ;D
I wear mine on my ring finger :> And he has one too and it makes him looked married but oh well. Keeps the ladies away! Hehe :silly: When we get engaged I will move it to my right hand ring finger ^^ I love the necklace idea though, super cute!

This is what I'd do too, but if you don't really like wearing rings, then put it on a chain, maybe even with a locket with his picture in it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
I wore mine (when i had one) where one would normally wear a wedding ring.

I did this, too. Hubbs got me an inexpensive promise ring as a 'place holder' for my engagement ring, so I wore it on my left ring finger until he got me 'the real thing'.

I love rings and bracelets though, so if it's uncomfortable for you, I like the idea of wearing it as a necklace.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
Congrats^^

I dont have a promise ring, but if it were me, id probably be wearing it on a chain :)  I dont really wear rings.  I have a wierd ring size (honestly, who makes half sizes?), rings feel wierd to me, and the heat will expand my finger to a really uncomfortable point when I get warm.

I guess its the same as bracelets.  They usually are really close to falling off my wrist.

I would just wear it where you would feel most comfortable :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

lupachiotta

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
I also wore mine where one would wear an engagement ring because we were that kind of commited to each other. But I like the idea of a necklace very much. People who's wedding rings do not fit very well because of pregnancy or other things often wear their rings on a chain. But any finger would do. I love to wear rings tho.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
I have one and wear it on my left ring finger. It actually fits best there and now feels weird if it isn't there xD. When I get the "real deal" ring, I will likely move my promise ring to the right hand.

People do sometimes ask if I am married or engaged, but I just tell them that it's a promise ring.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
My boy gave me one sometime ago.  I wear it on a little silver chain around my neck when I'm at work and I wear it on my right hand.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
I wore mine on my ring finger.  Of course now I wear my wedding ring on that finger.  I put the promise ring on a chain I wear around my neck.

Congrats, promise rings are really sweet.  :satisfied:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal