collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tail glue! O_O;  (Read 645 times)

autojoy

• Trade Count: (0)
Tail glue! O_O;
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
Hi everyone! (Apologies if this post isn't in the right place!)

I'd really like some advice, please. I'm starting my G1 collection again after so many years, and I just got (among others) a Cotton Candy :) She's awfully sweet and in fair condition, apart from her tail! It appears to have been replaced with a short, white piece of hair... and looks like it's been superglued in :shocked: She will need a replacement tail, as I'm almost certain this isn't hers... but I'm not sure how to get the superglue out!!! Eeeek :shocked:

On a different note, I also got a Lemon Drop. Her plastic seems... softer and thinner on the sides than any other pony I've felt. She's very squishy!! Is that a common thing, or perhaps a factory error? She feels all funny! XD

Huge thanks for anyone's advice!!! :blush:

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
Re: Tail glue! O_O;
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
Are they HK ponies? As in Hong Kong stamped?

Also, pics please, her tail sounds cute   ;)

The superglue could maybe be broken down and perhaps boiled out?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
Lemon drop if she's sticky and super soft is probably in the process of leaking plasticizer, they get super soft then turn into hard rocks.
You can try acetone to remove the glue.

PS I have an extra tail for CC if you're interested...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Clarabel Sapphire

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
You can buy superglue remover but I'm not sure how that might affect the plastic body of the pony.  I agree with mlp4me to try acetone.  :)

I too have a squishy pony!  :biggrin:  My childhood Applejack came out of the packaging with thinner plastic on her hind legs and I've always assumed that it was a factory error.

CupcakeCoquette

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
I've heard that with ABJD/resin dolls where the eyes have been superglued in, you can sometimes coax it to release by putting the head in the freezer for a while. If it's okay for them, I can't imagine it'd much hurt a pony (but someone may know better than me, so if they do, listen to them instead? ^^; ).

autojoy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks everyone, looks like I got a few things to try...! ^.^

@StrawberryMeadow Hi!! She is indeed an HK pony! You're right, her tail is actually very sweet, but stiff as a board at the top 'cause of the glue!! There's a gloop of sloopy glue running down her back leg, which makes her look like..... she had an accident :lol: Inside it's taped up with sellotape, too :shocked: Here's a pic!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@mlp4me Hey! Oh yes, she was sticky, too!! Well, I guess that must be it...! Her symbol is bleeding slightly, which I guess may also be caused by the leakage. Do you know how long it takes to harden up? Is she okay kept near other ponies while it's happening? Oh wow, that is super kind of you about the tail! I'll give you a PM!! :biggrin:

@Clarabel Sapphire Hi! Aw, your Applejack sounds cute :D My LD is sticky as well, though (forgot to mention in the OP) so, I think she must have the plastic leakage as mlp4me suggests, eeek!

@CupcakeCoquette Hi! Yes, that's totally true (BJD owner here)! I was thinking about doing this... hmm... I've got a list of things to try so I'll add it to that list and see how it goes!! Thanks!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
@mlp4me Hey! Oh yes, she was sticky, too!! Well, I guess that must be it...! Her symbol is bleeding slightly, which I guess may also be caused by the leakage. Do you know how long it takes to harden up? Is she okay kept near other ponies while it's happening? Oh wow, that is super kind of you about the tail! I'll give you a PM!! :biggrin:
I tend to keep sticky ponies separate from the rest until I've cleaned them. Plasticizer leak is not a predictible science it can take weeks, months or even years before a pony will harden. I had a sticky lemon drop, I had her in a brown paper bag for a few months and she's not as sticky anymore. You can also give a once over with rubbing alcohol and then check her occasionally to repeat. I've also totally submerged ponies in rubbing alcohol and they harden up after about a month (does dry out hair).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »

@StrawberryMeadow  sloopy glue running down her back leg, which makes her look like..... she had an accident :lol:

ahhhhhhhhahahaha thats so cute and so gross!  :lmao:

Oh bless her little tail. Good luck with the slimer!  ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
Oh bless her little socks!

I agree with sticking her in the freezer for a few days and then use a cotton bud and super glue remover - that should manage to break it down enough :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

autojoy

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
I tend to keep sticky ponies separate from the rest until I've cleaned them. Plasticizer leak is not a predictible science it can take weeks, months or even years before a pony will harden. I had a sticky lemon drop, I had her in a brown paper bag for a few months and she's not as sticky anymore. You can also give a once over with rubbing alcohol and then check her occasionally to repeat. I've also totally submerged ponies in rubbing alcohol and they harden up after about a month (does dry out hair).

That's great advice, thanks so much!!! I'm new to pony-care/restoration so looking to learn as much as can right now, haha  :blush:

@hathorcat Great!! Thanks, I hope I can get this little tail out and make her hair match again, haha! :biggrin:

Clarabel Sapphire

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
That's great advice, thanks so much!!! I'm new to pony-care/restoration so looking to learn as much as can right now, haha  :blush:

This is what I love about this Arena, everyone is so helpful.  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal