collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else burnt?  (Read 1823 times)

angelfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone else burnt?
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
I think it's finally happened although part of the reason is the huge lull between what I'm sure will be an onslaught of new releases.  I find myself burnt and not too excited about any of the new stuff.  I'm tired of fighting scalpers in my area for new stock and I'm trying to resist the urge to sell every MH doll I own except for Signature Howleen and the Blob girl.  The only new release I'm truly lookinglooking foward to is Heath and I already dread trying to find that set in stores as the scapers will be hoarding it like crazy.  Anyone else burnt out by the sheer number of new dolls?

Even worse sometimes I feel like taking most of them and donating them to Goodwill because I am starting to lack the patience to sell the ones I don't need online. 

Just wanted to vent a little bit and find out if anyone else goes through these 'burnout' periods.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else burnt?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
I think I may be getting that feeling too. Along with having to out run the scalpers metaphorically, I kinda feel like slowly I'm falling out of love with them but haven't noticed it yet, and this current dryspell of no new releases, helps me realize that a little more...Kinda like: "If I missed out on a few releases...would it matter much to me anymore??" feeling.If the new stuff shows up, I feel like my initial reaction would be: "Meh..*Starts searching through them to find the perfect one(s)*" rather than "OMG EEEE New stuff!!" like I used to...

Iono, maybe it's because I've concentrated on MH so much, it's become a regular thing for me now, and it isn't as exciting as it used to be when I first got into it. >,<;
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Dorriebelle

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »
Friend of mine - the lovely and talented Deborah, of D-lightful Designs on Etsy, and dlsarmywife on Flickr - termed this time as 'MH Slump' and I think it's pretty darn accurate. It's one of the few slack times all year, and unfortunately, it allows us to focus a bit on the negative things, like scalping, intensive hunts, frustration, and burgeoning collections. And it is sooo tempting to chuck it all into a box and list the box on eBay - and a some of us do just that.

But if you can get over The Slump, you'll soon find yourself excited or even inspired by new products and new ideas - even photos of older dolls look compellingly gorgeous with a new face-up or outfit. I try to find the pieces I'm missing, like that pair of Ghoulia shoes or that outfit I've always liked, and that Barbie sofa that looks much better with a paint job, but was too busy chasing The Newest for. It's a good time to refine your collection, but I think more people regret getting rid of it all than those who decided they truly didn't like that dress, that belt, and those shoes, and sold 'em here.

I like to get busy making stuff when The Slump hits - there's lots to do even if you don't wanna learn to sew or crochet or paint. Photography, spray-painting shoes and sofas, mix-and-match outfits, hairplay, cosplay, coming up with new and more creative ways to store and display all your dolls and their stuff...endless. Or a day spent with the ponies, or your other dolls, can be something to reignite your MH-tude. When I over-focus on one thing, I do tend to miss a lot !

I think The Slump's there for a reason, but I'm glad I didn't scrap mine two years ago. I'd have missed all of you because of the heavy regret ! And maybe one day, I'll get my Slow Moe doll... hang in there, ya'll. It always gets better !
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:50:21 AM by Dorriebelle »

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
I'm currently in a burn out period. Wanna say this is my third time in one? Out of all the new upcoming dolls (new characters or not), I am only interested in Heath, GiGi, and Catty. And the last doll I bought for myself was Catrine, which was that week she was out.

It gets tiring to have to rush to a store in the hopes of finding a character/doll before others get to it, along with Mattel only having about one or two of a new character in a case assortment (such as the Scaris situation with Jinafire). I don't think I have fallen out of love with MH, but I am not as excited for future stuff compared to sometime ago.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline creedence

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
I am wanting some older ones more than the newer ones right now.  But I can't afford anything & if I can, I buy for my niece first.  I sort of feel depressed not being able to buy myself something once in awhile but I've had huger responsibilities. My sister left her kids with me & me never came back, I've had to move out & get us a house because we were all sharing one room.  Paying all the bills & taking care if three people on $9 an hour sure is a challenge.  I TRY to stay away from here because I hate wishing lol.  I'll buy some second hands for my niece online once in awhile if the prices are good but right now there's no spare cash.  I think about selling all of mine but ugh, I like them too much...  Idk.  But I guess I think it might be time to quit holding on to things when I have to care for real life dolls lol. 

faunabay

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
I'm with you Angelfish and Luvly.  I'm in a bit of a slump myself but like Dorrie I'm using this time to do smaller things I put off.  I'm working on a few customs and just having fun mixing and matching outfits and figuring out my displays, etc. 

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »
I'm kind of enjoying the lull right now. Actually, I'm sort of dreading when I have to go hunting for Heath. I feel like I should start training or something. :lol:

I've mentioned this before, but I was actually kind of overwhelmed by all the dolls I acquired around the holidays. I'm happy to have them now, but I felt like I didn't get to know them at all since I was too busy hunting. So I'd find one and then jump to the next. I feel like I can just enjoy my dolls right now. Not to mention all the clothes I have so I can try to find different looks I like. Plus the weather is getting nice so I plan on taking lots of nice walks this summer and maybe practicing taking better doll pictures.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

angelfish

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Ugh, the thought of hunting down Heath fills me with dread.  I may overpay on Amazon a bit just to avoid that.  I usually don't mind selling but I really hate to deal with people here who seem to think that older dolls or even new ones should be sold for just retail including the shipping.  Shipping prices and materials aren't cheap and even minor haggling makes me cringe.

I have been enjoying other dolls though.  I got both my Hollywood Blythe and my Fianna Fins Bratzilla in the Mail last week.  My Blythe reminded me why she's my main dolly love and Fianna is just pretty, pretty, pretty.  The 'Zillas are very sweet and simple in a way MH is not and I appreciate that. 

I'm hoping that when I see some of the newer MH lines in stores I'll get excited again.  Ihave high hopes for GNO Rochelle and 13 Wishes Howleen.....

faunabay

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
I usually don't mind selling but I really hate to deal with people here who seem to think that older dolls or even new ones should be sold for just retail including the shipping.  Shipping prices and materials aren't cheap and even minor haggling makes me cringe.
Well to stop this just set a firm price saying no haggling allowed.   :P

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Yes, I get hit by the slump sometimes too. I look at all the time and money I've spent on these dolls and think "Who am I kidding?!" But then a new doll will come out, or I'll do something different with a doll's outfit or hair or I'll come up with a really fun idea for a photograph, and then the excitement comes rushing back and I think "What was I thinking?!" but in a good way ... ;)

I do get bored rather easily, and I think one of these days I might get bored with Monster High in a more permanent sort of way (rather than a mere slump of disinterest), but it probably won't be until something new comes along that captures my attention (like how I lost interest in MLP when I got into Monster High).

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
I think it's common.  Happens to me with any sort of collecting and it's a good way for me to tell what my interests really are.  Whatever survives the slump has staying power.  I have adored ponies in and out of the slump for ages.  Monster High will survive it too I think.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »
I think it's common.  Happens to me with any sort of collecting and it's a good way for me to tell what my interests really are.  Whatever survives the slump has staying power.  I have adored ponies in and out of the slump for ages.  Monster High will survive it too I think.

:like:

I go through this with all my collections too. Although I drift away from ponies fairly often, I've never fallen totally away from them, so even when I'm in a years-long pony-meh period I don't let myself sell off too many of them.

With my various dolls I tend to only have minor slumps, never enough to be actually out of love with any of them. MH, honestly, I haven't gotten burnt out on--after a couple years now, it's really looking like love at first sight and ever after too for me and the ghouls  :lol: (And though I've been only half a year collecting Pullips, it's looking like it's for keeps with them too, much to my wallet's woe, haha.)

But it's totally normal to go through collecting phases/get burnt out on something--or not! No harm either way--just don't rush into selling off, just in case.

Enjoy what you enjoy when you enjoy it  ^.^
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
I too dread looking for Heath.  He's one of the few dolls from the new stuff this year that I really really want.  There must be some really active scalpers where I live, trying to find anything that's not a shelf-warmer is next to impossible.

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 04:37:38 AM »
i  too am enjoying the slump.. there are alot of dolls i don't even have yet that i still want.. i donno if i will ever get them , just because of $$  I am one of the ones who sort of thinks mattel should slow down a bit.. I can barely keep up with everything they are releasing this year not to mention last!   So i don't even try to collect every doll.. that would just make me crazy.  in some ways i enjoyed it more when there was just the main six dolls out ..  but i want new characters, new movies and line stoo so i will just have to deal..
 at least  it gives me something to thrift store hunt for!

and now that they ARE showing up in thrift stores,  i am using this lull to also go thrifting, when my schedule allows..   to me thriftstore finds are  more exciting than buying retail anyway, because   you never know who or what you will find if any at all. 

anyway  so far,  i am still not bored, even after  collecting for the last  few years since they came out.  I dont really know why this is..
 i don't really DO anything with my dolls. they are just there  in there boxes on the shelf, for eye-candy purposes  ne ways LOL

i guess they are mini works of art to me!

my biggest problem for the new up coming releases is  OMG where am i gonna put everything.. i am running out of room,  so that maybe in the
 end what  kills the collecting for me,  how can you collect when you don't have room to display NE more? lol

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
I've been collecting on and off since the line started. I've had almost all the dolls that have been made at one time. I slowly feel out of love with ponies and it is happening with the MH dolls as well. Its not really a slump for me as I just don't like them anymore as much as I use too. I know that I'm losing intrest cause I don't even wanna go to the toy section when I go to Wal Mart anymore.

I've got a new BJD on layaway and I'm looking forward to getting her. I've been longing for my Mei that I sold so many months ago. Although my new girl isn't a Mei. LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal