collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Different Ways of Fixing Broken Legs - Pros & Cons  (Read 497 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Different Ways of Fixing Broken Legs - Pros & Cons
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
My poor Spectra broke her leg a while back. I was able to repair it with a screw. However, now her leg can only move side to side but cannot bend.

I would like Spectra to have the ability to bend her knee again, so I was thinking of taking out the screw and using a ghost CAM leg instead. The question is, will the peg stay in on its own, or will it need glue? If it needs glue, then it appears as if she will be able to bend her knee but will not be able to move her leg side to side. Is this correct?

If anyone has done the latter 'operation', please give me details!

XOXO

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Different Ways of Fixing Broken Legs - Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
if you glue in a ghost cam leg, and you use glue, you can do the hot glue method. Just coat the peg in lotion or vaseline. Fill the hole with hot glue. Stick the peg in and let it dry. It will still be able to twist that way. I just have no idea how much drilling or shaving you may need to go to get the peg to fit.

I use that vaseline/hot glue method on the elbows of some of my girls when their arms are too loose. It works real well.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
I don't mean to be a downer, but save yourself alot of time and alot of headache, and just buy yourself a new body.

There are two methods of swaping out regular doll legs and both aren't pretty.

The first is drilling out the inside of the upper thigh to make room for the new leg peg.  BUT the peg inside the leg spins WITH the drill bit and is very difficult.  If you are able to drill out enough (I never could) you'll have to secure the leg in the hole somehow.  I used glue on one and lost all mobility of the leg :huh:  So don't use glue.  I used teflon tape, on another doll, to thicken the peg and get a snug fit.  That worked well, but I would have gladly BOUGHT a body instead (this was back in the days of mis-matching torsos for CAMs, so I could not)

The second involves spliting the upper thigh in half with an exacto knife, and swapping the broken leg for the new leg.  Then you have to glue the thigh back to together, and sand and sand and sand the seams.  I've never tried this method before, but if Mattel doesn't get their stuff together and release completer parts for the Harpy and Siren, I guess I will because I am NEVER drilling again!

Another point to make is, I don't think the Ghost CAM and Spectra have the same "white" skin color :huh:  The Ghost is sorta blue white and Spectra is sorta bone white.  Not sure how picky you are.

If you are hell bent on doing this, I've seen success stories so it isn't impossible.  But it is a pain in the LEG :lol:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
Different Ways of Fixing Broken Legs - Pros & Cons
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »
Thank you both for your input. I didn't realize the ghost's legs are a different color than Spectra's.

My original idea was to get her a new body, but I wasn't sure what I'd do with a new head!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
A really cool pencil topper?  :)
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Oak23

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kd-230692.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
You could always just sell the spare head and broken body. I'm sure there's a bunch of customizers who'd want a broken leg body for their CAM bits or to make a centaur/mermaid/etc with, and there's always people interested in doll heads. Otherwise, use the spare head as a practice head?

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »
Thank you both for your input. I didn't realize the ghost's legs are a different color than Spectra's.

My original idea was to get her a new body, but I wasn't sure what I'd do with a new head!

Your welcome ;)  You'd be surprised what customizers will buy :lol:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Jayoen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
I made a post how to fix a broken leg and keep it functional, I'll link it later. :)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
I made a post how to fix a broken leg and keep it functional, I'll link it later. :)

Please do!

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327126.msg708121.html#msg708121

Here's the thread in question, I believe. I'm a bit of a snoop :3. I hope you get her fully functional again!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327126.msg708121.html#msg708121

Here's the thread in question, I believe. I'm a bit of a snoop :3. I hope you get her fully functional again!

Thank you, Snoopy! hehe

That is a great tutorial. Unfortunately mine broke in such a way that I cannot fix it that way. Honestly, I'm kinda getting used to her this way. The only issue would be getting her leg to bend for photoshoots. Basically finding a new body is my best option at this point. I've got my eyes open for one!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:19:52 AM by tuneful87 »

Jayoen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
Sorry, I went out with a friend, and posting that completely slipped my mind!! Glad they found it for you. Maybe post some pictures of her leg I guess? We can try and help? :3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal