collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Clothing Sizes what are you doing?  (Read 821 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Clothing Sizes what are you doing?
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
Okay I'm having a bit of a 'what' moment here.

I know clothing sizes are often a bit skewed but. I brought some clothes today from a UK Supermarket I tend to buy from as the stuff is cheap and I tend to find things I like. They had a sale on so I picked up a few bits from there too.

And well, usually I am a UK 20 in trousers and a UK 18 in shirts.

I accidently picked up a UK 16 shirt thinking it was an 18 and so I thought it wouldn't fit me (which I felt annoyed abouy as it was a nice shirt) yet it fits.
And the trousers, I ended up with a size 18 pair on the offchance they might fit as it's happened before, and well they do and seem to fit about the same as the size 20 pair I found.

Like a while ago, I picked up a shirt from a certain clothing brand that was marked a 16, I tried in on in store not being very hopeful it would infact fit me yet it does.

:blink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Sizes what are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:36 AM »
what place is cheap, do they ship overseas? I need some new clothes :(

I've noticed some places, the sizing can go up and down, like when I order from mod cloth I always read teh reviews and it will tell whether you order up or down or on the mrak.

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
I have had issues with this "vanity sizing" phenomenon in the United States, too.

Not too many years ago, I bought a pear of Lucky jeans from Buckle that were supposedly a US size 0 (which is supposed to be TINY), but they swallowed me.  Admittedly, I am a very petite person, but my behind has NEVER been able to squeeze into zero, at least not past the age of 8 or 9.  I think I'm about the same size if not a bit larger than I was in my late teens (I am in my mid-20s now), but wear a smaller pants size.  How does that even make sense?

I have also found that sizes will vary quite a bit sometimes for what should be the exact same size and style of pants.  It makes trying on clothes in stores a pain and ordering clothes online almost impossible.       

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
I have also found that sizes will vary quite a bit sometimes for what should be the exact same size and style of pants.  It makes trying on clothes in stores a pain and ordering clothes online almost impossible.       

This. Even in the same store and the same brand.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »
This. Even in the same store and the same brand.

So true!  I have tried on what was supposed to be the same exact same pair of pants in a given store.  The pants were supposed to be the same brand, size, style, length, same everything.  One pair might be way too baggy, one pair might be approaching just right, and one might require some maneuvering (and a few prayers that the buttons don't fly off) to extract myself from them.   :huh:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »
It doesn't matter where I go. I have to try everything on first. If clothing is not from a thrift shop I've got to buy it a size or two bigger as for some reason everything I own shrinks (except for me of course I've been around the same size the last 3 years...). But yeah, come on over here Starry, you'll go batty; I can be a small at one store in the women's and an XL at another... ha!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »
Sizing is so confusing, and nothing is consistent. :( I have trouble finding clothes (especially bottoms) to fit.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »
It doesn't matter where I go. I have to try everything on first. If clothing is not from a thrift shop I've got to buy it a size or two bigger as for some reason everything I own shrinks (except for me of course I've been around the same size the last 3 years...). But yeah, come on over here Starry, you'll go batty; I can be a small at one store in the women's and an XL at another... ha!

I wish we had the same system they use for guys which is basically 'small, medium' ect and is usually with inches, make thing so much easier. XD (I occassionally buy stuff like men's t-shirts and men's jeans, the jeans because they're cheaper than the women's ones)

I think with the shirt I got the fabric factors in as it's a bit of a slightly stretchy fabric.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Eaglefeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
Different fabric does tend to vary the size. I once got two different pairs of pants, both the same size, but one was significantly baggier than the other because it was made of another material.

Mkanke

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »
When ordering from WeLoveFine their sizes can vary in the same order. I bought 3 shirts from them once. All a mens Large and nary a one fit the same. In fact one was so tight I had to have someone help me take it off and I just gave it to one of my friends instead.

tl:dr Clothing sizes are haphazard at best.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
That happens all the time, its just the make or cut that is sometimes forgiving ;)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Okay I'm having a bit of a 'what' moment here.

I know clothing sizes are often a bit skewed but. I brought some clothes today from a UK Supermarket I tend to buy from as the stuff is cheap and I tend to find things I like. They had a sale on so I picked up a few bits from there too.

And well, usually I am a UK 20 in trousers and a UK 18 in shirts.

I accidently picked up a UK 16 shirt thinking it was an 18 and so I thought it wouldn't fit me (which I felt annoyed abouy as it was a nice shirt) yet it fits.
And the trousers, I ended up with a size 18 pair on the offchance they might fit as it's happened before, and well they do and seem to fit about the same as the size 20 pair I found.

Like a while ago, I picked up a shirt from a certain clothing brand that was marked a 16, I tried in on in store not being very hopeful it would infact fit me yet it does.

:blink:

Maybe you lost weight??  :biggrin:

If it appeared I went down a size, I'd be chuffed with myself and be shouting from all the social networks  :lol:  but if the opposite happened, it'd totally be the stores fault with their dodgy sizing and I'd be snipping the labels out of them once I bought them :sly:

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
My clothing sizes are drunk. I wear everything between XS-XL. :drunk:
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

sugar_apple

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Yup, sizes vary like crazy. Some of my S size shirts are bigger than XLs...

I never order pants online cause they wouldn't fit anyway. Recently I bought one pair at a flea market without trying them on (was lazy), and they fit perfectly!!  :shocked: It was quite a shock cause I was expecting yet another disappointment...  :lol:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
When ordering from WeLoveFine their sizes can vary in the same order. I bought 3 shirts from them once. All a mens Large and nary a one fit the same. In fact one was so tight I had to have someone help me take it off and I just gave it to one of my friends instead.

tl:dr Clothing sizes are haphazard at best.

The same thing happened to me with Threadless.  I will usually get a medium if it's a unisex shirt, but I ordered three once and one was stupidly tight while the other two fit just fine.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal