collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk Moondreamers!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Let's Talk Moondreamers!
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Any collectors?

I am extremely nostalgic about these dolls. I never had any, they weren't available here in Finland, but a childhood friend of mine had Blinky and Ursa and oh how I wanted them! I don't even know much about them other than they were made by hasbro.

I had completely forgotten about them untill I surfed an 80's cartoon webste and found them again. i remember seeing an episode or two of the cartoon, but this line didn't become very popular did it?

So tell me about Moondreamers and show me pictures too!

Does anybody have a Blinky and Ursa for sale? I never did get over not having them as a kid.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Moondreamers!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Oh I love the Moondreamers!  I have the entire collection (it is not large)  They were actually my favorite dolls growing up-  I had Blinky & Ursa, and Bitsy and Roary-  I love them because they have such sweet faces and cool clothes...

There used to be a decent sized number of online fans and some active forums, but they have all gone defunct (much like most forums except this one in the wake of facebook). 

I know that some of the artists that worked on the Moondreamers art and doll line, were the same people that worked on MLP- which is why they seem so strangely similar :D   My favorite animal character is Ursa Minor, the baby bear...  (came with the Dream-a-long Drifter)

You can find all of the cartoons on youtube these days-  which I think is pretty neat (animation is similar to MLP)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7t_SG4wCcE

This site has some fantastic pictures of all of the dolls and critters in the line- including pictures of the 1988 dolls that never got released!  (They were SO CUTE)  So far, no one has ever found prototypes of the unreleased dolls, unfortunately...
http://totallyjem.jemmagic.com/hasbromoondreamers.html  He later set up this site http://moondreamers.jemmagic.com/doll.html  but I like the first site because it has huge scans of the pre-toyfair catalogs

Ghostofthedoll also has a really nice listing of the dolls/toys (although some of the info is a bit incorrect, it is largely accurate and a nice source)  http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/moondreamers.htm
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is also this odd doll that pops up from time to time on the ebay.uk auctions-  I used to think I was the only one who had her, but over the years have seen her come up a few more times on ebay.uk (never labled, always in a lot) - so there were probably a pile of them that made it through QC screening...

Offline Nana-Rena

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
Oh wow, thank you! Those are such good links, I'll check them all out in detail.

Why were they discontinued? They weren't popular then?

I only knew them because my friend had Blinky and Ursa and because I caught an episode or two on an UK chanel called Children's channel that we had through the satellite.

Do you have pictures of your collection? I would love to see them!

I have noticed that Tumblr and Facebook have rendered many of my old haunts defunct but that's the way of the internet I suppose.

I have really gotten into collecting thing only recently and I am looking up stuff that I loved as a child and didn't have. Moondreamers is the main thing in addition to Jem that I would love to have.

I really love Ursas design, she is very cute and huggable. I would be over the moon if they remade these, but they never will.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »
I don't know a whole lot about them, but I think they're a really cute toyline. I never had any as a kid but I would have loved them so much because of their theme, and their neat colors! It's a pity they weren't more popular. I have a couple dolls for sale in my ecrater store (check my sig), though they aren't in the best shape! If you're interested, send me a PM. =)
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
Oh wow, thank you! Those are such good links, I'll check them all out in detail.  Glad to help!

Why were they discontinued? They weren't popular then? Well for whatever reason Hasbro doll sales fell like crazy in 1987 (Jem, Moondreamers) and both lines got dropped.  So sad... don't know the story but maybe production cost was too high.  I know someone who works for Playmates toys, and she says that the toy business is incredibly competitive and in addition to a fairly narrow profit margin (people won't pay a lot for toys), top sellers can become shelf-warmers overnight for no apparent reason.

I only knew them because my friend had Blinky and Ursa and because I caught an episode or two on an UK chanel called Children's channel that we had through the satellite.   I never even saw the cartoons as a kid-  I think they were more popular in Europe than the U.S. 

Do you have pictures of your collection? I would love to see them!  I don't- but I have been meaning to dig everything out and take pics eventually- I hope I can do that soon...  maybe now I'll be motivated...

I have noticed that Tumblr and Facebook have rendered many of my old haunts defunct but that's the way of the internet I suppose.  Yeah- most of the old sites are gone now, there were two major forums that are now either offline or entirely abandoned...  same with Jem, alas.  (Although at least for Jem, the new Integrity dolls have injected some new excitement and new forums)

I have really gotten into collecting thing only recently and I am looking up stuff that I loved as a child and didn't have. Moondreamers is the main thing in addition to Jem that I would love to have.  Awesome! I love Jem too- have you heard of the new Integrity Jem dolls? They are ridiculously beautiful... but definitely priced (and made) as collector items rather than toys-  I am totally in love with them!  (A little tease for you)

I really love Ursas design, she is very cute and huggable. I would be over the moon if they remade these, but they never will.

Alas, I'm sure you are right.  But given all the 80s revivals that have already occurred (MOTU, MLP, SSC, Jem) maybe there is still a molecule of hope ?  But maybe not since the fan base for these cuties is pretty small...

It occurs to me that a Plush Ursa would be SO cute-   I wonder who I can commission....

Offline Nana-Rena

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Stormer looks so amazing! I liked her and Aja the best. Never had any of the Jem dolls because they weren't available here. Finland was a real podunk middle of nowhere place in the 80's. I watched the cartoon again for the first time in 20 years when they released it for the first time on DVD back in the beginning of the 2000's. It was so nostalgic,  remembered some things still from it. My favorite episode wasn't there though, it was on the second half of the 3rd season, which wasn't released then.

I have seen the new Jem dolls but I was put off by the price. Once again I thought, is it really worth it to pay that for toys? This was before I embraced my inner collector and handed over cash for MH.

there is a MIB Blinky and Ursa on sale on eBay but the price is pretty astronomical... 200 pounds... I am watching it, but I doubt I'll buy it, I can't afford it currently. Shame, I would love to have a MIB one.

Ursa would make a fantastic plush!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
That same MIB Blinky and Ursa has been on ebay for YEARS- don't get it.  They DO come up, you should not have to pay that price for them...  they do come up a lot, and generally you can get the best deal for a big lot of loose dolls.  It's better to search for "Moondreamers" than specifically for Blinky and Ursa, since there are lots of people who don't know what their names are.

MIB dolls are significantly more expensive than loose dolls- (and have gotten a lot more expensive for some reason in the last 2-3 years) but you can still pick up a boxed set for $50-$60 pretty easily. 

As for those Integrity Jem dolls- the prices are indeed painful-  although they aren't much more than buying a vintage doll MIB  - and the quality/detailing is somewhat stunning- so I think of them as more like fantastic customs than dolls :biggrin:   

Offline Nana-Rena

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:49:30 AM »
Good to know. I just got o worked up by nostalgia that I added the MIB set to my watch list. It's good to know that nobody is buying them, if I ever win the lottery I will! Just to get my nostalgia fix.  :)

I have never seen the box before. There are some Moondreamers floating around now too. I can't currently afford that many, since I commissioned two custom dolls, but I am keeping my eyes open.

Jem dolls for me are another nostalgic grail. The new collectors dolls are beautiful and better quality that the originals, but, somehow the one I really want is the original Jem and after that Aja. I'll have to go look at thenew dolls to see if I feel the same spark and absolutely need them.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
My Moondreamers grail is the Blue-haired bitsy mint on a blister-card or in a box-

Also, any of the dolls on a blister card.  Evidently they were released on blister cards in Germany or somewhere in Europe-

And of course... any of the prototypes for the 1988 dolls....  (although I'm pretty sure they don't exist anymore, waaa)

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
I adore Moondreamers!
I've got about 10 dolls Roary and Ursa Major.
I'm dying to get my hands on Ursa Minor and Scowleen! <3

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
I never had one but drooled over the colours of the outfits the dolls wore, and wanted that Ursa Minor bear! I've got a Moondreamer, but it's got a really bad haircut! I was going to reroot it but never got around to it.

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
I love them! I had several growing up, including the Roary and Ursa sets... I love Star the Architect and her, MIB, is one of my grails.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 09:20:01 AM »
I love Ursa Minor- she is harder to find unless you buy the entire Dream a Long Drifter-

Crystal Star is pretty easy to find, but harder to find MIB I'm sure-

Scowlene often goes for cheaps even MIB- so keep an eye out for her!

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »
I'm so in love with Moondreamers, they are so 80's! I never had any as a kid, I don't think they were released over here.. I'm super tempted sometimes to bring one home, but I just can't end up with another collection!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »
Ah- but at least it's a very little collection! (If you leave out the huge plush and the playsets)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal