collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about Hosting Swaps  (Read 545 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Questions about Hosting Swaps
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Hope this can go here.  Since I'm primarily interested in custom swaps, what better place?

I think I'm about to reach the requirements for being a host and I do have some ideas in mind for hosting, but before that, I have a few questions: 

1.  Since the swaps are anonymous, does the host even get a pony?  If they're the ones organizing the thing, then wouldn't that mean that they know who is making their custom?

2.  I have a bit of doubt when it comes to matching by skill.  Would someone be able to help me get everything straight?  Also, if only two sign up in the newbie category, would they only be able to work for each other and thus know their partner already?

Just some things that confuse me.  Sorry if I seem dumb...

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Questions about Hosting Swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
1. yes the host, if they are choosing to participate in the swap, gets a pony. and yes, they do know who is making for them...it is not a surprise.

2. the approving mod can help with pairing, if you desire. Or can approve your partner list before you send them out to your participants

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I know one swap I was in the host was participating and had a mod do pairing and checkins for a portion of the people so the host would still have a bit of a surprisr
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
yup! that was me.
if your mod is willing, things like that can be arranged

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
1.  Since the swaps are anonymous, does the host even get a pony?  If they're the ones organizing the thing, then wouldn't that mean that they know who is making their custom?

Yes, you usually know you has you and because of the check-in process it's often not a surprise. The last swap I hosted I had a cohost because I was about to have a baby and my partner sent everything to that person so I would be surprised.  Also the Zombie swap I had the host so I checked in with a friend of hers instead of with her directly.  Sometimes a host doesn't participate and they only host. 

2.  I have a bit of doubt when it comes to matching by skill.  Would someone be able to help me get everything straight?  Also, if only two sign up in the newbie category, would they only be able to work for each other and thus know their partner already?

As mentioned above folks are usually willing to help.  I usually organize by groups.  First you will need to separate your participants by who is willing to ship internationally and who isn't.  This can really effect your ability to match up esp now that cost of shipping is so high.  Then, from within that group I usually make 3 categories expert (great customs, very advanced, they look flawless), intermediate (still great customs but with some minor flaws that are noticeable), and beginner (getting started but still needs quite a bit of practice. ) From there I compare their examples and try to match up people with similar flaws because I know they won't mind getting a custom with those flaws.  If I have two experts that both do customs with unimaginative eyes I pair them up.  If I have two beginners with visible brush strokes I pair them up. 

That's just me. And since you are approving the check ins if you see one partner is really outshining the other you can offer friendly advice and direction.  In the event someone is really disappointed with their custom or someone flakes, I have made replacements in the past for folks.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »
WeepingPiano, as the host of the RenFaire swap, was my partner. I offered to send my check-ins to another member or a mod if she wanted, since I did want my pony to be a surprise. She was more than happy to just get a basic outline of where I was at for the first check in, and for the final check in I just sent her a teaser pic of my sig on the hoof.

I know of some swaps where the host opted not to receive/make a pony, which is also an option.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »
To answer the newbie question, yes, they'd be paired with one another. You don't tell people what group everyone is in usually so they still wouldn't likely know they are paired. If you have a "newbie group" included in your post, then they will know but it's not really a big deal either way. There are actually swaps where people are partnered with one person (they receive from the one they are sending to). It's really all up to the host.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:37:26 AM »
1. yes the host, if they are choosing to participate in the swap, gets a pony

i was in one swap where i was paired with the hoast.
i PMed them and asked if it was ok to by-pass the photo check ins so the custom was still a supprize for them. 
they were agreeable to this and i was able to finish the custom and send it with out my partnet know what it was untill it arived.

i think that was the Digimon swap  a while back when it was still the old arena.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
I think generally if you are making a pony for the swap host then you should send your progress check ins to the customs mod who approved the swap. That way you are still being held accountable but not ruining the surprise.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  I think I got this now. :)  Now if only I could stop entering new swaps long enough to host my own!

Wait, could I host one and enter one of the same type?  I assume that's what's meant in the swap guidelines...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:33:11 PM by ApertureScience »

Miserati

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
Yes you can. Your hosting takes up 2 slots and you're allowed to be in 3 of the same kind. So if you're say... hosting a Customs swap, you still have 1 space available for another Customs swap.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
Just remember you have to meet ALL of the hosting guidelines - we've had a few people wanting to host that fall short of requirement #2 - they don't have enough trading/selling feedback, just buying.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
Excellent.  And thanks for the reminder, Kiwi.  I guess I'll just keep going until I have enough. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal