collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Running out of space?  (Read 2346 times)

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Running out of space?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
I live in an apartment that is loft style and has NO closets! Everything I own is out for everyone to see. The front of my apartment is a solarium, so I can't put my ponies in there, my kitchen is a good size, but I really don't want to put them there either. Upstairs is my bedroom and bathroom. My bedroom is about 10 feet by 10 feet with a little area that leads to an octagonal window...the only one in my bedroom! On either side I have my clothes hanging, and all around the window I hang my MIB  ponies! Lol! They really brighten up the area!
I purchased some nice shelves from Ikea that attach straight to the wall, so they don't have a footprint and I can have my bird cage beneath (which is covered by ponies on top!) That's where I have my loose G4's. My other ponies (G1's) are in an old sterio cabinet beside the cage and on top of a small book case are my G2's. I store all the accessories in a perfume box which is rather large and shaped like an apple...I think it's Ricci or something...it reminded me of Applejack!
I guess when I run out of room I'll start putting shelves on the walls heading downstars! Lol! There are always options for storage...I took some of my ideas from how people set up children's playrooms to accommodate all their toys...seemed the logical thing to do! :lol:

No Closets?! Arrggh!  I love closets my Dad had a thing about building them into every house we got! Think that's where it came from!  :lol:Hehad a thing for building and making stuff generally so I have this cabinet he made  that I put some of my ponies in ;)As for the original question I have actually stopped buying ponies that often now 'til I sort out the ones I got. If I do run out of dispaly space I think i will let soem more go. I lov emy ponies but I odnt' wnat them EVERYWHERE! :P

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
My G1 collection live in a closet.  I got my Dad to put shelves to accommodate the G1 playsets and the ponies are stored in rows around them. I have a bunch of Carry Cases that are inhabited too.  G1 wise I'm out of space, any new Nirvanas I get have to stand on top of other ponies.
G2 ponies live on the door of the closet, on the inside :P I designed a hanging shelf system to fill this small amount of space between the door and the shelves and the G2s just about fit into that space... but I have to remember not to open or close the door too quickly or there's a cascade of ponies!

G3s and G4s are ->  <- that much away from being completely out of space!  I need to reorganise my G3s so perhaps they're not all on display so much and they could do with a dust - not been a problem for the cupboard living ponies!  They're on wall hanging shelves that fill one wall of my little bedroom.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »
I'd never be able to display all my ponies, I do have duplicates in a tote. You've got to be creative to house 650+ ponies... Shelves, shelves, shelves....

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
Forgot to mention that, like Aurora, I do have a few things that have overflowed the Pony Room.  My custom collection is in a glassed in display case in the basement - which is where our creative space is, so that kinda makes sense.  I'm also planning on putting up some of my nice G1 posters, framed, in the creative space as well.

Elf

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
I am close to running into this problem with my g4s. Other gens are on 1 shelf as I don't have too many yet. But g4 brushies, they are gonna need more space when the 4 i just bought come in.  :blush:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
I am going to get my own house soon and am limiting the ponies to one book case to make it easier the day I move. I am also putting any other play set on hold right now.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
I get this way. I just buy ponies and worry about it when they get here! But I've got some of my ponies in storage and I rotate them. If I had them all out, god only knows how much space they'd take up!

^ A variation on this.  I have no room to spare, so I have only one dedicated shelf for pony display (and a couple on permanent-display on my dresser); the rest reside in under-bed boxes.  But I change up my display every so often, trying to make sure everypony gets a turn out for a while. ^.^  I keep thinking of Toy Story, and wanting to keep it fair. :blush:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
I have run completely out of room, unless I want to start putting ponies on my dresser and bed. They are already stacked on top of each other on bookshelves in a very chaotic way. I wish I had room for a few more bookshelves. I have a small bedroom and there simply is no more space. I may be able to cram one more bookshelf in there, but even that won't put much of a dent in my collection in terms of making it look more organized. I just have to much.

When I move out, I hope I can have a pony room.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Amsel

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://yuuago.livejournal.com
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
I have zero room, so most of my ponies are in boxes. :c

I decided that in order to deal with that problem, I'm going to thin out my collection and change the direction that it's going in. If I have a lot fewer ponies, then being able to rotate them for display will be a lot easier.

Marionette

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 03:45:18 AM »
I'm always running out of space for everything. I still live with my parents, so my space is limited to one room. It's a fairly big room, but when one takes into account that I collect:

a) dolls (Monster High, Sailor Moon, J-Doll, Obitsu, a Pullip or two, hopefully 1/3 resin BJDs when I get a chance, and whatever else I like)
b) plushies (since childhood... SO MANY PLUSHIES... even after getting rid of a bunch I'm just drowning in them)
c) ponies
d) anime and Batman figures
e) books, manga, and DVDs
f) trading cards of many types

... well, that all really adds up. >.o The best way I've found to combat it is to use storage containers -- I like the Rubbermaid kind that are made to fit together easily. These go, well, wherever I can fit them. To make it a bit more manageable, I give each thing its own container and then bag and label different items to keep them together. Then my very limited shelf space goes to the ponies I really like. I wish I could display them all, but if I can't get more shelf space, they have to go somewhere!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »
Congrats, Cricket! I have to figure out what to do with a kid and the ponies, I'm hoping they can play nicely.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
Really running out of space over here. Buy ponies, worry about where to put them later. *le sigh*
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
I have absolutely no space anymore.. I'm limited to half a bedroom (the room IS pretty large though, I share it with my sister) with my bins and bins of craft supplies, new fish tank setups, giant bookcase packed with books, legos, lala collection... there is also a smoker in the house, so it's important to me to keep my ponies protected and not out on display.

So I have them stored standing up in stacked under the bed boxes in my closet. I can't wait until I get an opportunity to put them on display!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
Oh I ran out of space a very long time ago. Ponies start by sharing shelf space, then get their own shelf, then their own bookcase, then a couple of book cases and then finally they get a whole room to themselves. I am fortunate enough to have a pony room thankfully.

However a lot of collectors have limited space and I have seen quite a few come up with amazing display concepts. And I love the idea of having a core number of ponies which you can add to and sell from in order to keep the numbers around the same.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:54 AM »
I have a very small spare room for my ponyroom and my husband has ruled on strict terms that the ponies are not allowed to creep beyond that room!

So, this leads to ever more creative ways to store more ponies in the same space - you always have more space than you think!

Many storage solutions are actually quite wasteful in terms of space, especially for small items like ponies!

Here are some suggestions of how to make use of more space:

1. If you have tall cabinets, make sure you use the space on top of them, there is always a few inches between the top and the ceiling. This could be used for plushies, small playset boxes, styling ponies etc

2. Ceiling - much underrated, try hanging flutters/wingers/breezies from threads - tie the free end to a button and blue-tack the button to the ceiling. You could also use a soft toy net for plushies, these can attach to the ceiling. I string my mummy charms on a ribbon that goes across the room.

3. Curtain rail - if it sticks out from the wall enough, you can tuck the back legs of plushies behind the rail. Only good if you want to keep the curtains shut all the time!

3. Risers - use simple cardboard risers to ensure you can pack in the maximimum no. of rows of ponies onto a shelf and use the wasted space above the ponies heads below the next shelf.

3. Spaces between cabinets - if its wide enough to get a DVD/CD tower in, then its wide enough to cram in more ponies. Ikeas ones have removable shelves so you can set the height of each shelf to only the space you need, and add in spare shelves to get more in

4. Shelving units - ensure you pick ones with lots of shelves, close together and as tall as you can from floow to ceiling. If you can find a way to fit more shelves on it if they are spaced far apart -  try!

5. Toy chests/blanket boxes - line them up around the room - storage space inside (I used this for backcards) and display surface on top!

Hope those were some useful ideas - would love to see any pics of your displays!

Jem :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:13:59 AM by Jemofirongate »
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal